Sign in to follow this  
Falconius

Dune2

i'm working on a Dune2 MOD for OFP. Just thought i'd mention it here so others know it is under way. i've finished the quad and the trike and i'll start working on the ornithopter and devastator next.

It might reflect the storyline of the second Dune book, though I think he just means Dune (automaticly adding the 2 of the famous computergame)

well you could actually make an interesting OFP addon based on Paul's Jihad, it happened just before book 2

Hey Falconius, you should use the West leach Spring Map, im not sure if i spelled it right, but it seems alot like dune because of no cities or treees, just lotso Dunes/

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Postduifje @ June 04 2002,20:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It might reflect the storyline of the second Dune book, though I think he just means Dune (automaticly adding the 2 of the famous computergame)<span id='postcolor'>

Dune 1 (Amiga version) was a lot better though...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Falconius @ June 04 2002,19:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'm working on a Dune2 MOD for OFP. Just thought i'd mention it here so others know it is under way. i've finished the quad and the trike and i'll start working on the ornithopter and devastator next.<span id='postcolor'>

Aww...it would be a waste I think to copy a game that's already been done. I think it would be much cooler to base it on one of the books. Especially "Heretics of Dune" which is where I get my alias from "Miles Teg". Rather then drive around on trikes I'd rather play the part of the ol' Bashar leading commando forces against the forces from the scattering. Imagine creating Futars, shape-shifting Theilaxu (or however you spell their name), scientists and soldiers of IX, fish speakers, Guild Navigators, Arakkian priests of the devided God, Fremen, Bene Gesserit commando units and characters like Odrade, Miles Teg, Duncan Idaho, ect... Then don't forget the REAL Dune vehicles like No-Ships, Hammer assault ships, heavy and light armor on suspensors, command pods, armored cars (on suspensors), and of coarse all manners of Las-guns, missles, and artillery.

Then of coarse the giant sand worms (which would be the hardest to create). Ah imagine riding across the desert on the back of one of those worms! The hard part would be making them disappear into the ground. But I bet some creative scripting could accomplish that. smile.gif

The possibilities would be endless with different islands acting as different planets. Malden would make for a perfect "Gammu" (otherwise known as Geidi Prime in earlier Dune books). The Desert Everon would make for a very nice Arakkis (Dune).

smile.gif

"Let's roll Groundhogs!!!" mad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Dune 2 was my first own illigal game tounge.gif

After that i got dune 1 (for pc) but that was a disappointment.

Dune 2 is one of my all time favorite games.

Teg, that would be REALLY cool. I also think you could base an excellent OFP mission on the Moritani-Ginaz conflict (it takes place on an island, with bombers and landing craft, rocket launchers, etc.) from House Harkonnen. BTW what are hammer assault ships? You mean crushers?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AntiPasta @ June 05 2002,22:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Teg, that would be REALLY cool. I also think you could base an excellent OFP mission on the Moritani-Ginaz conflict (it takes place on an island, with bombers and landing craft, rocket launchers, etc.) from House Harkonnen. BTW what are hammer assault ships? You mean crushers?<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah the Moritani-Ginaz conflict would be a good one.

The Hammerships are very large assault ships used in "Chapter House Dune" during the Bene Gesserit assault on "Junction", headquarters of the Honored Matres. This assault was led by the Ghola Miles Teg. The Hammer Ships were also used in the feint before that attack against Honored Matres forces on Gammu just before their strike against Junction. The book does not go into detail about them unfortunately and only mentions Teg giving orders for them to move to a certain location and at Gammu to clear the top of the old Harkonnen center on Gammu that was being used as a planet headquarters by the Honored Matres.

I don't think that they are no ships as normally No ships are only visible when they land and not while they are flying. So I can only assume that they are some type of very large assault ship. It mentions in the book that they are gigantic. Plus given the name "Hammer" I assume that they pack a lot of fire power. smile.gif It's too bad Frank Herbert never drew sketches of the vehicles and ships that populate his world. sad.gif

At any rate "Heretics of Dune & Chapter House Dune" were the two books that inspired me to join the U.S. Army. They provide I think a wonderful view into the military mind.

I used to always read chapters from those books before a big training exercise to get me pumped up, motivated, and in the right frame of mind.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jegorex @ June 05 2002,00:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After that i got dune 1 (for pc) but that was a disappointment.<span id='postcolor'>

/me feeds Jegorex to a sandworm tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jegorex @ June 04 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dune 2 was my first own illigal game tounge.gif

After that i got dune 1 (for pc) but that was a disappointment.

Dune 2 is one of my all time favorite games.<span id='postcolor'>

So u say you have MORE!?!?!?!

tounge.gif

Would it be possible to simulate lasgun-shield interaction in OFP? *BOOOOOM* explosion the size of everon

My apologies for not replying to these many messages so far. i'm a CAD technician and the last week have been trying.

My intention was to get this mod up and running asap. So i'm mostly not going to change flashpoint (the game) that much -> just add custom units and graphics. i've done some of the models and i'll post pics here when i get broadband (straight from my HD). Hopefully the look and feel of this single handed attempt might generate the interest of those willing to work in a team and help me create something more impressive.

Sigh...

Now the hard part -> explaining my vision for the mod.

Harkonnen -> they are admirable fighters that deploy tanks or rather moving bunkers the size of battleships (devastators) onto the dunes. Simply put -> when a Harkonnen army comes slowly lumbering toward enemy fortifications the air becomes thick with a hail of projectiles.

Atreides have the look and feel of regular US forces. They are prone to use airial units like dropships (much like the blackhawk). But like every other faction they will also use massive cliff fortifications.

Then there be Ordos... i know adding them will be unpopular since they are a westwood creation. But from a mod viewpoint they do represent the one faction that can get all the realy interesting and creative hightech stealthy weapons. In fact their elite unit, the Saboteur will be unlike anything Westwood had in mind -> Ordos do not deploy armies. They always fight cloak and dagger, snipe, infiltrate and highjack. The technology and equipment of one Ordos soldier allow him to take on armies -> but it requires much skill.

The thing about using Dune2 as a template is that it is a reasonably straight forward starting point. You can scale it all with ease. It has the semblance of Frank Herbert's novel but without the complexities that present obstacles.

i am glad to see there are Dune fans on this board. i am sorry that i don't feel upto the immense challenge of piecing together Mr. Herbert's ideas and using that to dictate every part of this mod. i suppose we'll be looking at something that would require alot of creativity... eventually.