Landing in Expert Mode (Video)

KLQs7ZuffiA

External
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQs7ZuffiA

Using X65F Flight Stick
Saitek Rudder Pedals
Flying the Little Wasp
Trimmed from the launch using Right CTRL-numpad keys

It took forever, and stick does not always work, but using the "Little Wasp", you can get some flight stick and pedals working occasionally in expert mode with no auto trim/hover. Here is a video of one time I got my stick to respond someone accurately.

While flying a circle over the tree's I had the best time ever because I never had such decent control in expert mode before.....

(Still debugging why having such control issues, will of course keep you updated, with my opinions...) Edited by sarcasticpcgamer

Not too bad I think. I feel very uncomfortable flying in 3rd pers view on expert not to mention landing in 3rd pers view. I wouldn't manage that.

I made a

in the Beta where I flew around without any helpers and I menaged to land on the first attempt. It wasn't a smooth landing but the bird was undamaged. Considering it was one of my first attempts and that I don't have pedals (only a simple Joystick) it wasn't that bad.

I'd be interested how your landings look in 1st pers view ;)

Not too bad I think. I feel very uncomfortable flying in 3rd pers view on expert not to mention landing in 3rd pers view. I wouldn't manage that.

I made a

in the Beta where I flew around without any helpers and I menaged to land on the first attempt. It wasn't a smooth landing but the bird was undamaged. Considering it was one of my first attempts and that I don't have pedals (only a simple Joystick) it wasn't that bad.

I'd be interested how your landings look in 1st pers view ;)

Thanks, more practice needed for in cockpit view, and controls not always so smooth in this mode.. I have been struggling just keeping the bird in the air... This video was shot to show off bugs I was experiencing.. and just happened to work great lol :D Go Figure....

I manage to fly and land in expert mode with keyboard mouse. I still occasionally topple over on my side when landing, but flying is like butter.

call me SkyNinja

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

At the end of the video, a new challenge was born, at like 6:35 or so, I called out that little white square (with the dirt road surrounding 3/4 of it) as my target to land spot...

Calling it out raises the difficulty in landing by 3000% :D

actually you're right, in real life it's said the making landing approaches is the hardest maneuver to learn. there's shallow, normal and steep approaches the latter being the hardest to learn and the most dangerous. it also doesn't help that these helicopters don't behave like the real ones which makes it that much harder to perform a decent landing approach. although i have found that if you fly the medium helicopter it flys a lot better than the heavy or the light model in terms of how it behaves. the excessive right roll during flares is still present, on top of that i think BiS programmed in what i was talking about where it doesn't roll but drifts right during flares. now it's drifts way too much, and requires too much left cyclic input to correct. the ground effect ballooning of the helicopter is still there but it's not as bad as before, i don't think they understand when we tell them it's a cushion of air when we're IGE and that it requires LESS collective/blade pitch to hold a steady hover. i do agree that there is a ballooning effect in helicopter flight during hovering but it's not caused by ground effect. this is the only reason why i can see it ballooning, say if we do a left pedal turn and do not add more collective which means power is transferred to the tail rotor and there's less power available for the main rotor so we slowly descend, and when we see that descend we add more power but add too much and now we're gaining altitude and we just keep chasing the collective up and down. same thing for right pedal turns and not decreasing collective because we're using less power on the tail rotor so the main rotor has more power so we balloon up a little bit and forget to lower collective, then we lower the collective when we realize we're ascending and we lower too much and we drop down again etc. however none of that is a big spring that bounces the helicopter back up 20ft when we descend down to the ground. how it should look like is we're descending and maybe 25ft above ground and we slowly increase collective to arrest the descend, as we're coming near the ground but still descending we stop adding collective and let the helicopter come into IGE and that extra cushion of air will stop our descend and we come into a hover, what it does NOT do is bounce us back up into the air unless we've added too much collective in the descending process which would result in us flying straight and level anyway. in response to sarcastic's video, i too use an x65, i have my pressure settigs at .78kpi or something i can't remember the unit name. it seems to me that your joystick settings are either too sensitive or you're just using too much pressure on the stick. it's expected for new helicopter pilots to flying or hover with the pendulumn effect but as you learn to relax and gain proficiency in coordinating your control inputs you'll get better.

fly the training mode 'landings' test from the VC (virtual cockpit errm 1st person view)

there are three tests and the last one is the best...

keep practicing until you get it and then there will be nothing you cant do from this viewpoint

I have to say that completing the landing training with kb/mouse on Expert without using autohover (and external view) is perhaps the most excruciatingly difficult, painful, tortuous, and downright evil thing I have ever experienced in gaming. Period. :eek:

Expert landing without autohover and autotrim is ok, but still difficult, when you are landing in a big field, but on a specific helipad? Whooooo boy. Brutal.

I try very hard just to get over the helipad, and you are warned that you are going too fast, but you still are barely moving forward. When you use reverse cyclic to slow down, suddenly you are going backwards at about 70 mph. Is that the exaggerated “ground effect� That's lots of fun when there are skyscrapers all around you. Using Q/Z to control collective is not feasible when landing, as I like MUCH quicker collective response to controls to get you to move up a little to save your skin, so I usually use the analog controls. But using them for quick boosts up to 100% prompt interminable warnings about vertical speed limits. Jeesh. Looks like I need massive amounts of additional training. But how fun is it? Not quite sure there. Hopefully I will master it in time. I sure will try.

Landing without external view and autohover is especially troublesome in the crowded area training mission downtown. I have trouble even seeing the pad on which to land! I'll bet that's more doable with a controller and TrackIR, neither of which I am prepared to buy at this time. But with autohover? Piece of cake, and fun.

I think that careful use of manual trim set (MTS) may be required for free landing, and could help mitigate the sudden high-speed backwards movement. :confused: I more commonly use MTS now, and it really helps, especially with the medium heli in the Challenges with bad weather.

Even the takeoff training from the "crowded area" helipad is brutal for me without autohover, but it is doable.

Other than landing without autohover, playing on Expert is a total blast.

In general, the training is much more difficult than the challenges because of the strict limitations placed on your movement. That is most likely a good thing.

Since you are using mouse/keyboard, i think they have collective control keybinds that may be more beneficial to you.. Ctrl-1 10% Ctrl-2 20% or something, i could be confusing another game.. but i think i say that in the controls...

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

I think that careful use of manual trim set (MTS) may be required for free landing, and could help mitigate the sudden high-speed backwards movement. :confused: I more commonly use MTS now, and it really helps, especially with the medium heli in the Challenges with bad weather.

I use to use that to do my trim always, and then release and retry again and again, (it use to be continuos in other builds i swear, you could add more trim) this seems to be removed, HOWEVER, the trim is now done with

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 4 (for cyclic left trim)

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 4 (for cyclic right trim)

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 1 (for rudder left trim)

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 3 (for rudder right trim)

These have been a godsend, cept for the fact, i cant bind the to my extra hatswitches... the game dont accept shifted states correctly.. afaik

as pressing them makes the pov change as well :/

yup, was too lazy to add... OMG, you are going to drool on my upcoming videos now that my USB problem has been debugged and I can hover at will!!!!

-Ziggy-;2046993']dont forget

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 8

and

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 2

OMG! :D

Those key binds look like just what I've been missing!!!! I just ignored all those funky rctl+whatever binds. Probably a big FN mistake. I've been scratching my head wondering if I am missing a control somewhere (what I'm really missing is the autohover, which is obviously the perfect solution, but I am trying to learn not to use it whenever possible).

I did the first two training landings w/o autohover, but the last one is a real bitch. I had been trying, with great difficulty and only occasional success, to do the manual trim set forward (via action menu) by looking at the gauge and slightly pointing my nose down while keeping level. I got that to work for the pinnacle landing.

You are the man, DirtyDeeds! :cool: Thanks!

Yes, I am a man. a landing muther fucker of a man :D

ndalTKeb-gs

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 1 (for rudder left trim)

RIGHT CTRL - NUMPAD 3 (for rudder right trim)

might wanna fix that!

OMG! :D

Those key binds look like just what I've been missing!!!! I just ignored all those funky rctl+whatever binds. Probably a big FN mistake. I've been scratching my head wondering if I am missing a control somewhere (what I'm really missing is the autohover, which is obviously the perfect solution, but I am trying to learn not to use it whenever possible).

I did the first two training landings w/o autohover, but the last one is a real bitch. I had been trying, with great difficulty and only occasional success, to do the manual trim set forward (via action menu) by looking at the gauge and slightly pointing my nose down while keeping level. I got that to work for the pinnacle landing.

You are the man, DirtyDeeds! :cool: Thanks!

WTF?!?!, Give credit where credit is due..

EsX3HojSS4A

External

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsX3HojSS4A

Edited by sarcasticpcgamer

Yes, you are correct, sarcasticpcgamer, I should have thanked you first, and I apologize. :o I still haven't tried out the Ctrl-1 for collective +10% etc., but I will look for it. The RTCTRL+num 8 doesn't seem to help me out a whole hell of a lot (but some), but I did all three &(*%^$%^&*~~!^$%#^%&*_*(&^**)@ Expert landings without autohover or external view, although it took me a few painful hours. I did use RTCTRL+num8 when I finally completed the crowded landing area.

In the forums for the preview and beta, myself and others asked quite a few times about how to use manual trim set, and no one ever told us about those key binds that you brought up. Perhaps those binds didn't exist until the release? I don't know.

I thought I was pretty damn good at ToH after playing the preview and beta on Expert for months, but I always used autohover for landing, as I got used to it in A2 CO. Not using that VITAL feature changes the game entirely, as you well know, and puts a permanent crease in our brains that may never heal.

That might of been me confusing controls with DCS A10C i have also been trying to learn.

In ToH, it's shows the following

Throttle 1 Increase keybind ? (sorry i changed mine)

Throttle 1 Decrease

Throttle 2 Increase

Throttle 2 Decrease

Throttle 3 Increase

Throttle 3 Decrease

If anyone could explain these? I have yet to try em, and they don't make immediate sense.. 3 throttles? I have heard that your collective only has 3 modes... not like a 0-100% on a throttle, could explain these I guess

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 AM ----------

UPDATE: OK, these are just engine dependent throttle toggle settings, idle, full power, and closed

Yeah, those binds don't do us any good at all. And I can't find any reference to the CTRL+1 binds - must be from your other game.

I tried the sling load training on Expert without autohover. There's significant wind, and it is damn near impossible w/o autohover, and no fun at all. To hell with it. I might as well drill a hole through my kneecap. Life's too short.

WTF?!?!, Give credit where credit is due..

I crashed when I used your information, and its all to your credit. ;)

thanks! :D

-Ziggy-;2047311']I crashed when I used your information' date=' and its all to your credit. ;)

thanks! :D[/quote']

plz go away, you are the most annoying person ever, you are more annoying than that jim carey sound

Mod's this Ziggy is harrassing me and time for a ban.. He knows I want no part of his existance but he continues to troll me, tries to overtake my threads, and now is sending private messages trying to insult me.. I have asked for ignore feature, but yet he just steps it up higher and higher, he is getting a kick out of harrassing me, and its time he gets kicked.

This goes back a long way during CP, he was also trolling me and harrassing me, and I wanted him banned then too.. He is simply here to aggravate, thinks he is doing it cleverly

... and now is sending private messages trying to insult me..

one message, and I asked him to have respect for BIS and the community.

exaggerate much?

how this goes back to the community preview I don't understand, as you just registered in October???

this isn't your second account is it? habnor? uh oh ;)

-Ziggy-;2047469']this isn't your second account is it? habnor? uh oh ;)

Oooooh snap! :D

I land in a very shallow way and usually with a minimal amount of forward movement. I never play with 3rd person or autohover. I think for sling loading I might need auto hover though!

Mod's this Ziggy is harrassing me and time for a ban.. He knows I want no part of his existance but he continues to troll me, tries to overtake my threads, and now is sending private messages trying to insult me.. I have asked for ignore feature, but yet he just steps it up higher and higher, he is getting a kick out of harrassing me, and its time he gets kicked.

This goes back a long way during CP, he was also trolling me and harrassing me, and I wanted him banned then too.. He is simply here to aggravate, thinks he is doing it cleverly

Unfortunately (for you), you are not the one who decides about bans here. And actually I fail to see why he should be banned here. If he annoys you then simply add him to your ignore list instead spamming the forums.

And in case you are really that habnor guy, we are currently investigating this, then you are the one who will be banned.