jcgam

new CIT: remove pilot head translation restriction

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/25979

I'm pushing for this because I want to be able to move my head closer to the panel to read the gauges, and so that I can look down like real helicopter pilots:

Should be a simple configuration change, right?

Edited by jcgam

I totally agree. I use the trakc IR 5 with the pro clip and it's not extra on Take.

Normal setting I guess everyone have the same.

TakeOnH%202011-10-29%2021-54-33-51.png

Here I'm not using Y axe

For ROTATION it's ok

But for Translation on X ; Y ; Z Axe it's not

See how I had to fix my track IR setting on X ; Y ; Z

TOH%20XYZ.png

Cause of that I CAN'T rotate my head without the track ir understand a translation movement too (See the video) When I look right he does a translation left and vis versa. Strange.

Dont' forget to active True view.

I want to be able to move my head closer to the panel to read the gauges, and so that I can look down like real helicopter pilots.
You cannot read them if you ZOOM? I doubt that ;) Edited by Armored_Sheep

i used another way for 'zooming' with a trackir. i center my track ir a bit forward from my normal head position, and i assigned the track ir forward motion to the zoom in action, so when i lean to read the instruments, the game zooms in. hope that could help :)

What do you want to remove LeftSkidLow?

What do you want to remove LeftSkidLow?

The restriction on pilot head movement

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

You cannot read them if you ZOOM? I doubt that ;)

You are correct! It would still be better to move the head forward, because in zoom it is hard to keep the head still.

I don't understand your problem jcgam. You can yet move your head foward in TOH.

TakeOnH%202011-10-29%2021-54-33-51.png

It's enought to read panel.

But it's not easy to fix the track IR on these axe...

+1 for leaning out the door. Would be nice if it only works with open doors, or special bubble window doors.

Hmm I haven't tested the limits on the doors off littlebird looking helicopters. I'd imagine it's the same restriction.

I don't understand your problem jcgam. You can yet move your head foward in TOH.

The movement is very limited. This is how it SHOULD BE (especially at 15 seconds and 24 seconds):

Waoh ! Looks much better yeah. More angle so he can watch below the chopper. Cool

Go go Bis :yay:

The more important problem about TIR right now is the XYZ axis jurking

I think the two problems are closely related. XYZ translation is so limited that occasionally the head view "releases" and snaps from back to front or in another direction.

Yeah, put me down as another vote for removing the head movement restrictions. I can understand keeping it in the cockpit, but I'd like to be able to lean further forward to get a zoomed in view of the panel without having to hit toggle keys.

Here is an example on what BI have done wrong

As you see, most airframe use inertial locking mechanism on their safty harnesses to allow pilots to remain reasonable movability.

And TBH, if we already have TIR for our virtual head to move about in the cockpit, zooming for us is redundant(as you can see I am not using "unrealistic" here, as I understand that I am looking at the instrument panel through a 24" screen;)).

Edited by 4 IN 1

Have exact same problem.

I cannot/barely move head forward/back.

Also side movement very limited bacause of airframe (or my massiv head).

How in the world are you supposed to operate sling-loads when you cannot look outside/down?

Must be possible to fix this.

As jcgam points out:

much more freedom here. We are restrained enough in front of a computer screen. No need to restrain us more.

Here is a good example how head movement should have been. This is a headmounted cam on a pilot:

Here is a good example how head movement should have been. This is a headmounted cam on a pilot:

GREAT video! That pilot has mad flying skills.

As soon as BI frees my virtual head I'm going to attempt to create a timed scenario similar to this, if it is possible.

We thus need an option to untie the object.

I have the same problem. When I first fired up the game with trackir I was confused about the restrictions to pilot head movement. I think the restrictions make it really hard to play. In the default configuration I find my view snapping all over the place when I turn my head because trackir is detecting some translation with the rotation and the game is keeping my virtual head pinned to certain areas. This is very distracting and makes it harder to fly. Mapping the Z axis to zoom "works" but it is not an optimal solution because it makes it very hard to keep your head still while zoomed to get a look at the panel.

I understand it is a simulator but I think it would be reasonable to allow some "unrealistic" head movement based on the fact that we are all constrained in our fields of view by playing on computer screens.

If anybody has played DCS A10-C with trackir -- that sort of experience is what I want with TOH -- the trackir in DCS is smooth and intuitive by default and generally lets you get the view you need to play effectively without being too unrealistic.

Here is an example from DCS start up procedure -- at the beginning he leans out of the cockpit and then easily leans down to manipulate various controls.

Please change the pilot's virtual "head" so that it can move around the cockpit more!

For ROTATION it's ok

But for Translation on X ; Y ; Z Axe it's not

See how I had to fix my track IR setting on X ; Y ; Z

[iG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37999001/Images/TOH%20XYZ.png[/img]

Cause of that I CAN'T rotate my head without the track ir understand a translation movement too (See the video) When I look right he does a translation left and vis versa. Strange.

Dont' forget to active True view.

Can you release your TrackIR template to the public. As you seem to know how to get it working perfectly.

Edited by Placebo