Sign in to follow this  
twisted

recommended pedals for TKOH

Hi. I am looking at getting pedals for TKOH as the joystick twist isn't the best solution according to a very helpful dev on the forums.

Could someone knowledgeable please recommend the right solution? I am not made of money but using the rotary ring on my x52 throttle is a bit hard to get right (but still better than twisting the joystick)

the 2 i have seen as being good and in my price range are the CH pedals and the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. EDIT - and this one as well Thrustmaster Elite Rudder Pedals

which are best? i also read that heli pedals are not autocentering - not sure what that means and whether the above 2 choices cater for that? :confused:

advice would be appreciated so i don't end up pissing my money away on the wrong choice.

Edited by twisted

As far as I know CH Products is, in general, considered as a manufacturer which builds products which last for ages. Top notch quality and as far as I know most of the testimonials praise CH Products. I recently bought the CH Pro pedals for TKOH, I don't regret it so far (they auto center btw).

The others pedals might be good too, I don't know. Also search some sim forums for experiences like those of the DCS series, Simhq etc.

As far as I know CH Products is, in general, considered as a manufacturer which builds products which last for ages. Top notch quality and as far as I know most of the testimonials praise CH Products. I recently bought the CH Pro pedals for TKOH, I don't regret it so far (they auto center btw).

The others pedals might be good too, I don't know. Also search some sim forums for experiences like those of the DCS series, Simhq etc.

thanks for the answer. i have researched them and found at that price range the CH rpo looks good. 2 concerns i have read about them are they are a bit close together and hence known as ballbreakers and they have a lip on the front - so the whole foot rests in them and not with heel on the floor and ball of foot controlling movement. also there is said to be a noticable centre point that sort of clicks. but this is all just reading.

the saitek seems to be a bit flimsy and light but more adjustable in resistance.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?205523-CH-Products-Pro-Pedals-or-Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals

these things cost quite a bit of money but surprised at how few proper reviews there are for them for controlling helicopters (which i guess i pretty different to the pedals on an airplane)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkNirMmYY7w

Nice... gotto keep watch on this one, already considering grabbing the X52 Pro, and was also thinking about IF and WHAT pedals :)

Saitek Pro flight pedals are waaayy better than the CH pedals. I've had both, CH pedals were uncentered about a year in which was terrible. Saitek is just higher quality build overall.

Also, the CH pedals seem to be made for racing games AND flying games, the freaking pedals are like ones you'd find in a toyota.

Edited by ryguy

Saitek Pro flight pedals are waaayy better than the CH pedals. I've had both, CH pedals were uncentered about a year in which was terrible. Saitek is just higher quality build overall.

Also, the CH pedals seem to be made for racing games AND flying games, the freaking pedals are like ones you'd find in a toyota.

I use the full Saitek Pro setup consisting of X52Pro and Pro flight pedals saitek quality today is on par with CH, its just the luxury fanboys that still tell otzher they need 400€ CH or 500€ thrustmaster hardware to enjoy Sims...thats simply not true, the "cheap"260€ Saitek combo does the job as well...and mine lasts since 2008 without any problems for now.

Oh and it's worth mention that neither of these feel like helicopter pedals ;)

Yea, the closes U get besides purpus buildt are the combat-pedals from saitek coz you rest your heels on the floor.

I don't get how you put your heels on the floor on the saitek pedals:

Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals-Black-PC-0.jpg

I don't get how you put your heels on the floor on the saitek pedals:

Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals-Black-PC-0.jpg

i think its the saitek combat pedals being referred to.http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/compedals.html love to be able to afford those. too expensive to justify for a game right now.

maybe i'll build my own at this rate. saw some how to's floating around. http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/rudtoe.htm

Edited by twisted

I have yoke, twin prop throttles, and pedals, all from CH. Although I love them, I've had some minor issues. One potmeter in the pedals is busted, so I always have full right toe brake. And one switch on my yoke is getting iffy too. They've all lasted quite a bit though, but still the build doesn't spell quality, and very cheap plastic build. The quality is ok, nothing more, nothing less.

Still, I can only recommend it. The pedals are somewhat heavy, but they lack "floor grip" so you may have to support them a bit. They have auto center, but no resistance adjustment, and a bit too light compared to what I've experienced in real life flying (not choppers).

thanks for the advice. ended up breaking my budget and getting the saitek combat pedals. really neat, big enough, and managed my first smooth landing in expert mode ever. very nice. but so expensive (but paid less than amazon price so slightly less painful). not sure how to set the tension to best emulate heli so ive just gone with what feels comfortable to me. how sensitive are the pedlas in a helicopter anyway?

online it seems pedals are simple to make if you have a bit of technical skill. if someone would make chaper pedals that are accessible to more people i can imagine them making some good money as they really add a new aspect of control to the game.

not sure how to set the tension to best emulate heli so ive just gone with what feels comfortable to me. how sensitive are the pedlas in a helicopter anyway?

Hard to speak for all helicopters, I suppose it is same as asking for all car gas pedals. Alouette II, which I was flying, had a bit of resistance but not a lot - I'd compare it to a bigger car - the helicopter reacted instantaneous (would be weird if it didn't) :D