Sign in to follow this  
Arcto

Low FPS?

Had a quick run through on the training missions last night and noticed low FPS throughout.

I'm running on the same graphical settings as I do with Arma2, which does not have the low fps count.

Any tips or tricks or is this version of the engine more advanced than Arma2/Arma2 OA's?

Did you try to disable PIP (picture in picture) yet?

The viewdistance and object drawing distance should have a significant impact too.

And some of the usual candidates:

• Ensuring you're running the latest graphics drivers
  • Defragmenting your HD (the terrain textures make up the majority of data: ~8 GB; and are streamed in and out frequently)

:)

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try the PIP and shadows and visibility,

I have the game running on an oct vertex 2 120gb SSD with 70GB free so defrag is not an option :D

I'm running the new GTX 5XX beta drivers (the ones released for BF3), could that be the cause?

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try the PIP and shadows and visibility,

I have the game running on an oct vertex 2 120gb SSD with 70GB free so defrag is not an option :D

I'm running the new GTX 5XX beta drivers (the ones released for BF3), could that be the cause?

The shadows are a massive FPS hit, try reducing their distance.

To probably well under 500 metres, they absolutely rape your system in Chernarus and will really effect flight over wooded areas due to the amount of them.

Had a quick run through on the training missions last night and noticed low FPS throughout.

I'm running on the same graphical settings as I do with Arma2, which does not have the low fps count.

Any tips or tricks or is this version of the engine more advanced than Arma2/Arma2 OA's?

I had the same low FPS issue during the training missions, but I noticed that the regular Free Flight mode does not suffer from this problem and the frame rates are significantly higher in Free Flight. Not sure what it is about the training missions...

- S -

Same for me. In the ascending/descending training, I'm getting around 18 fps, but significantly better performance when flying around in missions.

See my EVGA Precision gpu stats here:

ToH_beta_GPU-stats.jpg

Note that I get strange spikes of GPU activity to 100% - fps drops to zero or thereabouts during these spikes. Other times GPU usage spikes correspond to better fps. The higher fps was when I was driving on the ground in an SUV. AVG fps while flying is in the mid 20's. Overall, the SLI profile for ToH seems to be working properly.

Edited by OMAC

If you set atoc to 0 in the graphics cfg you will gain some FPS back, Ipersonally don't like the ataoc on the trees anyway.

And why isnt this an option in the graphics menu yet anyway as it is such a problem maker in the A2 problems forum as well?

If you set atoc to 0 in the graphics cfg you will gain some FPS back, Ipersonally don't like the ataoc on the trees anyway.

And why isnt this an option in the graphics menu yet anyway as it is such a problem maker in the A2 problems forum as well?

Good question. AToC=7 increases likelihood of CTDs for me in A2 CO, but that seems to have improved in recent betas.

btw....what is the key command to show your FPS on screen? thanks

use fraps for that

Or EVGA Precision.

My 2 gpus are only operating at 50% usage, and FPS with PiP off in the Railroaded time trial is consistently under 25.

Edited by OMAC

Or EVGA Precision.

My 2 gpus are only operating at 50% usage, and FPS with PiP off in the Railroaded time trial is consistently under 25.

Like A2 and OA it is CPU limited and not GPU limited, you can get your GPUs up to 99% by some tweaking and setting trials, which I spent yesterday doing.

Even my i7 at 4.2GHz isn't fast enough to get the draw distance I would love to have.

Once you throw AI into the pot your CPU is even more screwed than before on free flight. Even thoght it never registers as being under high load.

Things you can do:

Turn renderahaead limit down to 1 or 0.

Reduce your draw distance, more so the object one.

HDR as low as it will go.

Shadow distance set pretty low as well.

Object detail is a killer as well, unfortunatly it is also teid to the heli model. You can manually adjust this in your profile by lowering the scene complexity setting though, I now have mine at 70000 instead of 100000. I will probably be lowering it some more in further tweaking.

You will find the object draw distance to be the main culprit though, this one can pretty much directly be used to load or unload your GPU. I have mine at 6k and it left plenty overhead on the GPUs so that I can have rediculous amounts of AA and maximum render resolution permitted, which with three monitors on my system is only 133%.

Now I am really just trimming back the scene complexity to try and claw back some FPS.

TL;DR, turn down your object draw distance and object quality.

Thanks. I HATE degrading look to get good feel. For me, the game is not worth playing unless I get both. ArmA 2/ToH are like Ferraris: they need massive amounts of tuning and tweaking for optimum performance. Kind of a hassle, eh?

In A2 CO, my GPUs are much more fully used.

As far as I am concerned, if very high quality vid settings are not attainable with good performance using any cpu >3.7 GHz with modern SLI setups, there is something seriously wrong with the game, assuming that vid drivers and SLI profiles are optimal which is not always the case with NVIDIA.

Edited by OMAC