Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

AI quirks we'd like to see.

I think perhaps a better solution would be to tweak the "danger" setting so that the AI don't start the "I'm up. They see me. I'm down." business until they're actually in contact. As I said, they should be looking around much more than they do in "aware", and they should maintain a much higher level of situational awareness.

Actually danger mode already means they are in combat.

The problem is that AI can't tell whether it's directly in the enemy line of fire or the enemy may be a block away, AI just saw it. Because they won't go out of a danger mode until they are sure all enemies are dead even if they are far and don't pose any immediate threat.

A simple check like whether the enemy is within 100m and whether the gunfire is present should improve it a lot. Like if none of these are true - AI should be moving around much faster.

Edited by metalcraze

The whole idea is just kinda meh. What Sigint is talking about would mostly just be useful in more built up areas. That brings us back to the most common AI gripe which is how they handle urban environments.

Edited by bradp191

There needs to be a mode between aware and danger. Basically a mode where the AI have their weapons up and stay in formation, but shoot at any contacts they see while moving. This would be beautiful for MOUT and trying to get AI to FREAKING MOVE when you want them to while in combat!

do you think it would be a good idea to use this for ai pathfinding in urban areas? i think i read somewhere that its used in VBS 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAUIUNjuVHg

EDIT: found some VBS 2 footage with xaitMap; would be awesome to see it in arma 3

Edited by bloodice

It's there. It's called "a skill slider in the editor"

A quick test involving two identical groups, one with skill maxed on each unit and one with skill minimised on each unit produces no seen effect on movement. In combat, I can convince myself they're more accurate and make slightly better decisions, but it's subjective and far from what I posted RE the general ability to maintain formation (or not) and form into little sub-teams, flanking etc.

Speaking of "AI quirks", maybe a little off topic (non-infantry-related), what I would love to see improved is the AI handling of jets, especially during CAS.

Right now sooooo frustrating....