Sign in to follow this  
deathguy

Put on or off a silencer...

Was wondering if it would be possible (in game) to put on a silencer on a gun and get it off? M16 and AK don't have that option if i'm right, but maybe with hand gun (hear somewhere they will have those in Resistance) and some other guns. Like some mp5 were you got the choice, with a silencer or without one. Same for sniper rifle, could put a silencer (while playing) to make quiet kill. You could get the silencer off to get theyre attention (sort off a diversion).

Find a genuine soldier anywhere who tells you they took off or put the silencer on their weapon in the middle of a combat mission and ill be happy to back you up.... wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (deathguy @ May 30 2002,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was wondering if it would be possible (in game) to put on a silencer on a gun and get it off? M16 and AK don't have that option if i'm right, but maybe with hand gun (hear somewhere they will have those in Resistance) and some other guns. Like some mp5 were you got the choice, with a silencer or without one. Same for sniper rifle, could put a silencer (while playing) to make quiet kill. You could get the silencer off to get theyre attention (sort off a diversion).<span id='postcolor'>

If you would look into what a suppressor is and how it works would would immediately find that for a suppressor to function it requires the use of subsonic ammunition, as the sonic crack of standard supersonic ammunition is by far the greatest sound frequency and amplitude of a gunshot.

So you would not only need to attach the suppressor but change your ammunition as well, and subsonic ammunition is underpowered, underranged, and more suseptible to wandering.

Just because Hollywood makes movies with suppressed rifles making kills at half a kilometer doesn't make it true.

Yea, the bullet it self, makes a loud crack.Kind of like a whip.My dad told me, when he was in the army, at the shooting range, right behind the target, is alittle bunker, where a guy stays in, and when the target has been shot enough or destroyed, the guy in the bunker comes out with anthor target and sets it up, then goes back into the bunker.And my dad said, you could hear, a loud woooo Tissshhhh or a cowboy whip, when the bullet passes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And my dad said, you could hear, a loud woooo Tissshhhh or a cowboy whip, when the bullet passes. <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, that sound is from the bullet smaking through the paper/cardboard target at supersonic speeds. That's why people wear earplugs in the 'butts'

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So you would not only need to attach the suppressor but change your ammunition as well, and subsonic ammunition is underpowered, underranged, and more suseptible to wandering.

<span id='postcolor'>

Very true indeed, but that doesn't matter in a FIBUA type environment. It would be cool to have an option on wether or not a silencer can be added in OFP. It would come to good use on the HK models, especially the UMP .45

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, that sound is from the bullet smaking through the paper/cardboard target at supersonic speeds.<span id='postcolor'>

I dont think you nessisarly need to hit the paper/cardboard target to hear that loud crack.The bullet is going faster then the speed of sound and you will still hear the crack, paper/cardboard or none.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedRogue @ May 30 2002,17:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (deathguy @ May 30 2002,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was wondering if it would be possible (in game) to put on a silencer on a gun and get it off? M16 and AK don't have that option if i'm right, but maybe with hand gun (hear somewhere they will have those in Resistance) and some other guns. Like some mp5 were you got the choice, with a silencer or without one. Same for sniper rifle, could put a silencer (while playing) to make quiet kill. You could get the silencer off to get theyre attention (sort off a diversion).<span id='postcolor'>

If you would look into what a suppressor is and how it works would would immediately find that for a suppressor to function it requires the use of subsonic ammunition, as the sonic crack of standard supersonic ammunition is by far the  greatest sound frequency and amplitude of a gunshot.

So you would not  only need to attach the suppressor but change your ammunition as well, and subsonic ammunition is underpowered, underranged, and more suseptible to wandering.

Just because Hollywood makes movies with suppressed rifles making kills at half a kilometer doesn't make it true.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks for the info, did not knew that.

It just one night, remember playing 007 Agent Under Fire (NGC) and was wondering if we could do like the P2K that is in that game were you can put on a silencer or get it off the gun.

So I was just wondering if this could be use also in ofp.

But like Assault (CAN) said, in ofp we could use the fun factor as a reason to put that in game. Anyway, I would not mind of getting behind a bush, put the silencer on the gun and change ammo.

Actually it is possible to switch between a silenced and a non-silenced version of a gun! All you need is an addon which features a silenced gun, and an addon which features the same but non-silenced gun.

Then you have to do some scripting and just remove the silenced weapon and add the non-silenced and vice-versa!

My point was being that if you want this feature then you should only be able to carry half the ammo load while doing so, to symbolize having to carry 2 different types of ammunition. Either that or have any weapon enabled like this use only subsonic ammo, but the flaw there is the HK has the same damage, range, and dispersion numbers as any other weapon, which is simply a flaw in BIS not wanting to write another simple class definition of a subsonic ammo type.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bigpoppa @ May 30 2002,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually it is possible to switch between a silenced and a non-silenced version of a gun! All you need is an addon which features a silenced gun, and an addon which features the same but non-silenced gun.

Then you have to do some scripting and just remove the silenced weapon and add the non-silenced and vice-versa!<span id='postcolor'>

then you would just end up with a fully reloaded different weapon confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ May 31 2002,03:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What kind of weirdo would make a diversion from the end of his gun? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

me wink.gif

Interesting idea. I can honestly say that OFP has sacrificed little tid bits of realism here and there. I dont think leaving out the two different types of ammo would hurt this idea that much. I also dont think that ALL silenced guns use sub sonic ammo. What about guns in real life that can be silenced or un silenced durring a mission; The M4 and SOCOM pistol, etc.?Other than that, i think it could work. A new option in the action menu: Put on supressor, Take off supressor.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ May 31 2002,21:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Interesting idea. I can honestly say that OFP has sacrificed little tid bits of realism here and there. I dont think leaving out the two different types of ammo would hurt this idea that much. I also dont think that ALL silenced guns use sub sonic ammo. What about guns in real life that can be silenced or un silenced durring a mission; The M4 and SOCOM pistol, etc.?Other than that, i think it could work. A new option in the action menu: Put on supressor, Take off supressor.<span id='postcolor'>

If you would like information about how suppressors work then go here:

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/rules/rule_sup.html

What I don't understand is why people keep asking for a suppressed sniper rifle? Are they actually used in RL? (RL RL not movie RL) I mean the idea of a sniper rifle is acruate rifle to take an aimed shot across a great distance. Now a supressor is going to throw off that b/c you would need subsonic ammo so the bullet wouldn't have any power to go far and it would easily get blown off course. If you were close enough to used a suppressed rifle, probably a suppressed smg like a mp5sd would be more approprate.

COLINMAN

I've written a script which allows u to do this but its a special feature in my campaign so i'm not gonna release it just yet (and besides my ppl are still working on the two models of the weapon - silenced and unsilenced)

But I'll tell you how I did it so u can make your own.

The basic way to do it is to just have two guns, some triggers on the map and some new custom actions. When the trigger detects the player has unsilenced gun it gives you the option to add the silencer. If selected the player goes into the PutMortarGrenadeOn anim (looks like he's screwing on a

silencer) and the addaction is removed while the gun is replaced by a silenced one with true silenced quality - not just a different sound but AI can't hear it etc etc. The same but vive-versa for taking it off.

It's not perfect - mainly because there are some problems with number of rounds when you change guns when it works.

Just to keep ppl happy I've tweaked the values in the config.cpp to take into account the silencer has on muzzle velocity but I think you're taking realism a bit to far when yoiu're talking about "two types of ammo having to be carried". It's a computer game! It is a "fun" factor and a neat touch.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I don't understand is why people keep asking for a suppressed sniper rifle? Are they actually used in RL? (RL RL not movie RL) I mean the idea of a sniper rifle is acruate rifle to take an aimed shot across a great distance. Now a supressor is going to throw off that b/c you would need subsonic ammo so the bullet wouldn't have any power to go far and it would easily get blown off course. If you were close enough to used a suppressed rifle, probably a suppressed smg like a mp5sd would be more approprate.<span id='postcolor'>

Suppressed sniper rifles are different from silenced sniper rifles which have a silencer attached to the end rather than a ninternal suppressor. If you have a suppressed sniper rifle you would obviously have subsonic ammo. However SMG's like the Mp5s are piddly little things in real life and are only accurate upto about 100 meters. Now sniper rifles are big and meaty - judging by the British Army's one which I've handled - and they're shooting at ranges of 800 meters normally. Even travelling at subsonic speeds the bullet's distance would still be far superior to that of an SMG and a larger calibre.. Also remember a suppressed rifle would reduce muzzle flash and help keep a concealed position as well as obviously not having a loud boom emitting from where you are sitting.

But you would still have a loud crack of the supersonic bullet and the enemy will still be alerted to the general direction you shot from. Maybe it would reduce the ability of the enemy of know exactly where the shot came from, but they still would be alerted to a shot. Most people want a supressed weapon in this game so they could say drop a sentry while others in the camp wouldn't hear the shot. To do that you would need subsonic ammo so you still would have to get close, not the range of a sniper rifle (800 yards as you said)

That's my agrument, if you want a semi-relistic game of RL battlefield tatics and equipment a suppressed sniper rifle wouldn't fit in.

COLINMAN

Quibbles, quibbles! wink.gif I was talking about suppressed rifles anyway. I agree that there is generally no need to carry a silencer for your sniper rifle in RL, but in the game it would look good.

Anyways, soon Resistance will be with us and then everyone can carry around a silenced pistol (i'm sure somebody will make/already has made one) as a secondary weapon and everybody can be happy killing sentries without alerting others.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bigpoppa @ May 31 2002,02:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually it is possible to switch between a silenced and a non-silenced version of a gun! All you need is an addon which features a silenced gun, and an addon which features the same but non-silenced gun.

Then you have to do some scripting and just remove the silenced weapon and add the non-silenced and vice-versa!<span id='postcolor'>

YOu dont need scripting, just use the config.cpp of the mortar in OFP (Mortar+m16)

just replace mortar by silecner and thats it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrCrispPacket @ June 01 2002,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've written a script which allows u to do this but its a special feature in my campaign so i'm not gonna release it just yet (and besides my ppl are still working on the two models of the weapon - silenced and unsilenced)

But I'll tell you how I did it so u can make your own.

The basic way to do it is to just have two guns, some triggers on the map and some new custom actions. When the trigger detects the player has unsilenced gun it gives you the option to add the silencer. If selected the player goes into the PutMortarGrenadeOn anim (looks like he's screwing on a

silencer) and the addaction is removed while the gun is replaced by a silenced one with true silenced quality - not just a different sound but AI can't hear it etc etc. The same but vive-versa for taking it off.

It's not perfect - mainly because there are some problems with number of rounds when you change guns when it works.

Just to keep ppl happy I've tweaked the values in the config.cpp to take into account the silencer has on muzzle velocity but I think you're taking realism a bit to far when yoiu're talking about "two types of ammo having to be carried". It's a computer game! It is a "fun" factor and a neat touch.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I don't understand is why people keep asking for a suppressed sniper rifle? Are they actually used in RL? (RL RL not movie RL) I mean the idea of a sniper rifle is acruate rifle to take an aimed shot across a great distance. Now a supressor is going to throw off that b/c you would need subsonic ammo so the bullet wouldn't have any power to go far and it would easily get blown off course. If you were close enough to used a suppressed rifle, probably a suppressed smg like a mp5sd would be more approprate.<span id='postcolor'>

Suppressed sniper rifles are different from silenced sniper rifles which have a silencer attached to the end rather than a ninternal suppressor. If you have a suppressed sniper rifle you would obviously have subsonic ammo. However SMG's like the Mp5s are piddly little things in real life and are only accurate upto about 100 meters. Now sniper rifles are big and meaty - judging by the British Army's one which I've handled - and they're shooting at ranges of 800 meters normally. Even travelling at subsonic speeds the bullet's distance would still be far superior to that of an SMG and a larger calibre.. Also remember a suppressed rifle would reduce muzzle flash and help keep a concealed position as well as obviously not having a loud boom emitting from where you are sitting.<span id='postcolor'>

If you would just read the link I provided then you would know all there is to suppressing a firearm.

First off is NO such thing as a SILENCER, there is only partial and full suppression. A Silencer is a misnomer by Hollywood dramatizations because a weapon cannot be completely silenced even with full suppression you will still hear the cycling mechanisms and firing mechanisms of the weapon.

Partial suppression is containing the muzzle blast (gasses traveling supersonic) in a contained area in which it can expand before release. The bullet is still traveling at supersonic speeds and will make a sonic crack of its own. This type of suppression has less impact on bullet range/trajectory/speed=power. However the sounds of muzzle blast have been suppressed making the discharge quiter relatively, also the human ear has more trouble in tracking the firing point of bullet crack. Sniper rifles with partial suppression do exist and are not terribly effected by it. But, because of the large amount of gasses released from a rifle round a very large expansion area is needed for the muzzle blast compared to a pistol round. If it was an attachable partial suppressor it would be roughly 3 times the size of one for a pistol or SMG.

Full suppression is either by a combination of a external partial suppressor and use of subsonic ammo or thru an internal suppressor which allows for expansion of the muzzle blast and will release some of the expanding gasses behind the bullet thru vents to prevent it from reaching supersonic speeds. Most interal full suppressors will allows opening and closing of the vents to enable full suppresion with the bullet traveling subsonic or partial suppression with the bullet traveling supersonic. Full suppression slows the bullet down and greatly impacts range/trajectory/stability/and power.

Rarely is full suppression used on a high powered accurate rifle used for sniping.

1. Rifle rounds are designed to travel supersonic in which they achieve their stablilty and range. Just compare a pistol and a rifle round yourself and you can realize the difference.

2. If a rifle round is slowed to subsonic speeds it will wobble and have almost no power. This is caused by a now improper barrel twist for the slower moving round.

3. If a high twist barrel, say 1/6 twist, and a special subsonic heavy gram rifle round is used you can get the range and somewhat decent accuracy out of a fully suppressed rifle, however the accuracy and especially the stopping power of the round pales to partially suppressed or unsuppressed rifles. This is why fully suppressed rifles practically don't exist, however partial suppression is used frequently.

ARRGGGGGHHHHHH. IT'S A GAME, I DON'T GIVE ONE ANYMORE.

Fine, I was wrong, I'm sorry I don't go searching the Web to see how silencers work or own copies of Jane's Guide to Modern Firearms. I don't care whether silencers are "Hollywood misnomers". I attach one, the gun shoots, it makes less noise, the AI doesn't notice. That's all that matters in terms of silenced weapons in OFP.

Some of u ppl are taking realism too far - it's a COMPUTER GAME NOT REAL LIFE! Loads of computer games have done this sort of thing, from CS to 007. Adding a silencer to a weapon just LOOKS GOOD and since this isn't real life, fun is all that matters when playing the game. If you go hey thats actually quite cool when you put a silencer on the end of the gun then the whole idea has succeeded in its aim. I don't give one what ppl do with silenced weapons in RL but this is only a game.  mad.gif

*Walks out muttering about ppl trying to spoil others fun*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrCrispPacket @ June 02 2002,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ARRGGGGGHHHHHH. IT'S A GAME, I DON'T GIVE ONE ANYMORE.

Fine, I was wrong, I'm sorry I don't go searching the Web to see how silencers work or own copies of Jane's Guide to Modern Firearms. I don't care whether silencers are "Hollywood misnomers". I attach one, the gun shoots, it makes less noise, the AI doesn't notice. That's all that matters in terms of silenced weapons in OFP.

Some of u ppl are taking realism too far - it's a COMPUTER GAME NOT REAL LIFE! Loads of computer games have done this sort of thing, from CS to 007. Adding a silencer to a weapon just LOOKS GOOD and since this isn't real life, fun is all that matters when playing the game. If you go hey thats actually quite cool when you put a silencer on the end of the gun then the whole idea has succeeded in its aim. I don't give one what ppl do with silenced weapons in RL but this is only a game.  mad.gif

*Walks out muttering about ppl trying to spoil others fun*<span id='postcolor'>

For some people highest possible realism is fun. There is a reason why OFP is called a infantry level simulation and not an action game. Fortunately the realism is what sets OFP apart from the crap like CS and RS and 007.

Exactly, I for one would not want OFP to mimic CS or any other action game. I want it to be different, I want the realism. I mean next are you going to ask if you can bunny hop around mp so you are harder to hit? There are certain conventions in the game that make it different from the others.

COLINMAN

I think a suppressed sniper rifle could be a great addition,

but the screwing a silencer on/off bit seems a bit unnecessary

apart from that its realistic enough-

something like the Suppressed VSK-94 for the east

and a suppressed M14 or something for the west

with a suppressed rifle youde have to get a bit closer- making the atmosphere more tense

nothing wrong with quiet sniper rifles -as long as they are done properly