Sign in to follow this  
wiggie

Simulated Warfare (not the mode, or the game)

Call me stupid, crazy or even wierd for thinking about such a thing as this, but to me, it adds a whole new layer to the game with minimal developer effort and maximum depth output.

I have been watching Combat School lately, a TV show based around a platoon of Canadian soldiers preparing for their first deployment in Afghanistan, and on Episode 3: Virtual Warfare, they partake in large scale operations, assisted by computer software that basically takes whats happening in real life, and translates it into a computer war.

I would like to see something like this in ARMA 3 as to me, it adds a whole new layer of depth to the game, and for team training on both a soldier/player level and platoon/squad leader level, I think it would make for some really cool missions to be able to have this kind of thing in place.

The key part of the system is simple, every gun in the game, both small arms, rockets, launchers and even vehicle weapons, can be rigged to be non lethal, simply, by adding blank magazines to the loadout, that have all the same effects of a normal magazine, only without the propelling of lethal projectiles. After that, there will be a barrel attatchment for each weapon, that projects an IR beam when fired (much like laser tag). And as well as this there would be dummy grenades and IED's and such to match.

Next, each player or soldier in the battlespace recieves an item that goes somewhere in their inventory, that can't be dropped, that transmits their location and actions to an after action report, and also recieves information on things like being shot, blown up, or wounded in some other way. All of this could feed back into an after action report (should they be in the game) but I think it would be nice just to be able to have this kind of thing in the game.

In reguards to that, the rest of the game would play the same, even when healing other troops, or providing first aid, its the same, just without blood, and instead it would be something along the lines of the character in game supposedly tweaking a computer rather than pulling bullets from people, very simple.

Some real weapons could be used, such as explosives for breaching or demolishing objects in training, but appart from that, I would like to see weapons have a non lethal option.

Some would argue that there is no point in this, because the game is a simulation of combat anyway, and that combat simulation inside a combat simulator is stupid, however, to me, I think it would add a whole new level to teh games depth, and make training missions and even campaigns feel a whole lot more real.

Just a thought though.

On an ending note, I have learned something very important about military training from watching Surviving The Cut, soldiers pushed to the limits in training tend to puke a hell of alot. Thus, if fatigued enough, I think units in ARMA 3 should puke, even if just for comical value so the rest of the squad can point and laugh. :D

Thanks for reading all! tell me what ya' think.

I think this would be too much. In the end Arma is just a game, not a military training tool. Vbs would maybe fullfill your needs

The puking does sound funny though..... I think it might be good for a mod.. I have seen screenies of some units with blak rifles... As for being part of the developers time.. maybe not so much..

Maybe Useful for the Tutorial, Having the Combat Segments be done over A system like this

A day without puking in basic training is like a day without water. It is pretty normal that when your body is pushed to it's limits, you start puking. Nothing wrong about that. Do I want to see this in a game? No. The reason behind this is that it should not happen during combat, when you are a trained soldier.

About the simulation inception. Why would you want to do that? For training purposes? Can't you just place normal AI combatants and train on them? It has the same effect.