Sign in to follow this  
LeadingCrosshair

Arma2 free fps?

running a 955be with 2 gigs of ram and a 5770 w7 32bit. online im only getting 25-30 fps but when im all alone in the woods lol maybe 45 and thats going from very low settings to High theres No big changes at all. Now i know its not my rig because i do well in crysis2 depending. Able to max out all settings on crysis2 even run at 1920-1200 and get 30 fps and its smooth if i oc the card 960-1440. But when i tried using those oc settings on arma nothing changes. Even ran crossfire on arma and no changes so im missing some here. Any ideas on how to improve fps?

Your rig was mid range two years ago. You need better CPU, more RAM and a beefier graphics card to improve your fps.

Crysis is a joke compared to ArmA2 in terms of hardware hunger (and I am not saying this out of some sort of silly pride). Maybe others will correct me here but I assume this is mainly due to the viewdistance. ArmA2 is hungry for your CPU while Crysis mainly focuses on your graphic card.

My first guess is that you should reduce the viewdistance to 1800 metres. This might already do the job. But in order to judge this in detail it would be great if you could post a screenshot of your ingame graphic settings. Dont be mistaken, ArmA2 is a stress test for basically any Rig out there.

ill do a benchmark shortly.. i think on all normal 54 fps for the first benchmark then second 21fps ill double check tho

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

running a 955be with 2 gigs of ram and a 5770 w7 32bit. online im only getting 25-30 fps but when im all alone in the woods lol maybe 45 and thats going from very low settings to High theres No big changes at all. Now i know its not my rig because i do well in crysis2 depending. Able to max out all settings on crysis2 even run at 1920-1200 and get 30 fps and its smooth if i oc the card 960-1440. But when i tried using those oc settings on arma nothing changes. Even ran crossfire on arma and no changes so im missing some here. Any ideas on how to improve fps?

Just to let you know theres nothing good enough for an cpu upgrade for amd. 955be is the best bang for the buck as of right now.. im going with a bulldozer whenever they finally releases it. It should of been out all ready but s happens. i wont go intel there to expensive and once youve oced an amd cpu their right there with intel so if your just gaming theres no point in getting intel.

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

all the aa stuff disabled, Screen 1920-1200 4:30, normal texture etc..

When running the missons they give you on the side like flying etc.. 60 all day

Bm:59

Bm2:21

Im think it could be the memory like he said because even when i oc the gpu to 960-1440 still no improvements.

your cpu is too slow, even when 955 is that very well prized.

oc your cpu to 3.8-4.0GHz that will improve your fps, together with 4gb ram and oced gfx card. buy an ssd an you will feel an improvement too.

i upgraded from 965be 4gb DDR2 ram and normal hdd for arma 2 to i7 2600k (oc to 4,5ghz) and 8gb ddr3(1866) and low cost 60gb ssd(f60) and it doubles my fps.

gfx card on both : HD5850, now with hd6970(950/1500mhz) it even runs smooth 60fps on chernarus with full aa(not very high aa, it´s called "8" or so)

hey and set 4:3 to 16:10, your field of view is wrong on 4:3!

I changed it to 16:10 last night. As for the frames I was able to get 60 last night for the first time ever. But we were in the wood with ten guys or so and by the time we started getting into the ao it started to drop again to 27-30. It plays alright for those frames but there's still a few issues when people start running away. I've really have to guess when it comes to leading my rifle unfortunately. I guess if I upgrade the gpu is my only real option. I should be able to get around 50 with a gtx 580 and a 3.8 oc.

Its disabled and the view distance is 870 I think

Ok thanks, then it's not what i thought. If you don't mind i would like to know what motherboard you have (Socket type would do it).

I changed it to 16:10 last night. As for the frames I was able to get 60 last night for the first time ever. But we were in the wood with ten guys or so and by the time we started getting into the ao it started to drop again to 27-30. It plays alright for those frames but there's still a few issues when people start running away. I've really have to guess when it comes to leading my rifle unfortunately. I guess if I upgrade the gpu is my only real option. I should be able to get around 50 with a gtx 580 and a 3.8 oc.

I wouldn't go buy one yet as it sounds like you're more CPU-limited (especially with Arma2 Free since it has very basic textures).

Go in the editor and place a single unit as yourself (even put a vehicle to drive around) then preview, and get an idea for FPS in towns and woods.

If you maintain decent FPS, then chances are your CPU is bogging the game down when there's multiple AI on the map.

Also, 2GB of RAM is pretty low by today's standards and could be causing slowdowns as Arma has to stream more data from your HDD which is a LOT slower than RAM

Just a thought...

I know this may sound strange, but do you think you would notice if you just turned off your FPS display and just got on with playing?

The reason I ask is that for a while I was getting very frustrated that my Fraps fps counter kept dropping from time to time without (what I thought) any good reason. I kept stopping the game, fiddling with the settings, getting it working just right only for it to dip right down in the next mission. I was forever chasing the end of a rainbow!

I have turned off the fps counter now, and you know what? I am much more relaxed and don't even notice the odd few frames dropping. When it really starts lagging in a heavy mission, I know there is not a damn thing I can do about it because it's probably script heavy.

If you are benchmarking then fair enough, but if you are just trying to play - it's good to just stick your head in the sand and see what happens!!

Its disabled and the view distance is 870 I think

i read somewhere that putting shadows to high makes the gpu kick in somehow and could give you shadows with not much performance loss. was a while ago but i have similarly old pc and find it helped.

Hey no use for a name could you check to see what kind of fps your getting.. your gpu is only .2 better then mine. Just like to get an idea of what's really going on

Edited by LeadingCrosshair
lol

@LeadingCrosshair

probably you missed my last question: what Socket/Motherboard do you have?

The 955 is a am3 socket and the board has the 870 chip set. There's not going to be a big difference between the new 990fx and the 800 chip set stated by Amd (For Gaming). I'm running a ide hdd then I've got a data had for storage. Been thinking about moving the arma folder to the shdd but yet again most likely no improvements. Here's the kicker when running arma the memory usage runs up to 80+ percent and I know that's not good. View distance is at 500 as of now texture high or very high but either way the first bm is 55 the second is 21fps. Seems without running fraps the fps go higher but that could be bs. As for the mp when there are fewer people on the server the fps are alot higher without question so that's why I'm thinking ram could be the problem because once a real battle begins that memory usage has to be 90+.

did some more testing .. its only using 50 percent cpu.. but the second core is being used at around 80-90 i think and as for the memory its just over 65 percent

did some more testing .. its only using 50 percent cpu.. but the second core is being used at around 80-90 i think and as for the memory its just over 65 percent

Are you saying that you only have two cores or that only Core #2 has load? Just wondering as a 955BE is quad-core

At either rate, have you tried using -cpucount=x in your shortcut? You might also play around with -exthreads=x

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters#cpuCount

With -cpucount=4 and -exthreads=7 the game uses all 4 of my cores pretty evenly, the highest load on Core #1

Hey no use for a name could you check to see what kind of fps your getting.. your gpu is only .2 better then mine. Just like to get an idea of what's really going on

I get anywhere from 60FPS in empty maps to high-20's in "busy" maps (lots of AI, scripts, action, etc.) BUT...the game is always smooth and perfectly playable. I've also recently added a RAMDrive which hasn't increased raw FPS; but texture/model/game loading,popups, and microstutters are nonexistant, and gameplay is the smoothest as ever even when FRAPS says I'm only getting ~25fps. (another reason not to trust FPS counters)

Oh, and my card is a little more than ".2 better" than a 5770...you need to buff up on your specs lol: http://www.hwcompare.com/8917/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-5770/

Again, I don't think it's your GPU holding you back as you're using the low-resolution textures and can get 50+ on an empty map. And stop staring at the FPS counter!!!

Edited by No Use For A Name

I wouldn't go buy one yet as it sounds like you're more CPU-limited (especially with Arma2 Free since it has very basic textures).

Go in the editor and place a single unit as yourself (even put a vehicle to drive around) then preview, and get an idea for FPS in towns and woods.

If you maintain decent FPS, then chances are your CPU is bogging the game down when there's multiple AI on the map.

Also, 2GB of RAM is pretty low by today's standards and could be causing slowdowns as Arma has to stream more data from your HDD which is a LOT slower than RAM

Just a thought...

I meant to put cpu not gpu lol

And no i havent never ever thought about about and how no idea how to add that correctly to the shortcut

Edited by LeadingCrosshair

I meant to put cpu not gpu lol

And no i havent never ever thought about about and how no idea how to add that correctly to the shortcut

Ah ok, I was kind of confused hehe. Yes, my CPU is only the next step up from yours but I also have mine OC'd to 3.9GHz; at stock (3.4) I do notice a little more "strain" in heavy missions; but still very playable.

At the top of the page I linked to there's an example of where to add those commands to your Arma2 shortcut

oh damn.. i added those command but i dont really see a difference. Im almost thinking about just giving up and going with a intel 2600k