Sign in to follow this  
Dead3yez

Bring back the music from OFP/ArmA/ArmA2/OA

This is just a very simple suggestion. It wouldn't hurt to implement a few of the classic (if not all) tracks into ArmA 3. There's so much good music in all of the games. I don't think it would hurt BIS in any way at all.

Each game has it's own style of music in general, which give off different moods. Given extra tracks gives mission makers the ability to capture different emotions (believe it or not, music does add a level of immersion due to emotional impact). It also improves the longevity of the game, listening to the same music and same styles and moods can get boring quickly. Even the music itself will bring back memories and create that nostalgic feeling, being able to enjoy the game without even pressing a key.

Yes, mission makers can put their own music in the missions, but that takes extra effort and reduces accessibility (more downloading etc).

:bounce3: Get some of that ArmA 1 "rock" style back. :coop:

This would be nice.

However, I´d appreciate a more ambient main soundtrack this time. Most of the music in Arma 2 felt kind of out of place because it was rather cinematically written... good ambiences and soundscapes are lacking in the game. For good examples, check out the soundtracks of, for example, the Stalker games.

Good ambiences are nonintrusive, and could almost regarded be as a musical environment. "Proper" music is often the opposite, and can break the immersion pretty badly, at least for me.

What´d be cool too if we could get thematic references to previos arma games, as well as proper character themes. It´d be really rad.

in general ArmA has always had good music, but (especially ArmA2) it has not fit very well into the missions. to me it seems that most of the games music is better suited for listing to, and not playing to.

that of course changed with EW. those are some of the best ambient tracks ever. OA, BAF and PMC also improved on the "game" music and using it at appropriate times with appropriate tracks.

and for a game as diverse as ArmA you really do need to cover the full spectrum of music sounds, from dramatic, quiet ambient, sad, epic, upbeat etc.

im sure A3 will improve on this model.

I'd rather want the enhanced version of the current Arma series musics. I mean, a lot more atmospheric, fade-in/out, tuneful, and less blocky feeling on the electronica mixing.

I'd rather they do what they've been doing... making good, new music every release. They definitely include music better than most other games, but no need for the same thing again.

I think they should bring back select tracks from the ArmA series, as they did with ArmA 2, such as Concrete Cell, Manhattan and Reforger.

Operation Flashpoint music was amazing. So was the ArmA remix on the Operation Flashpoint main theme.

I want both new music in the game and maybe usable sound files to mission makers or nostalgikers.

Just like other said they should have some ambient music and also quiet atmosphere music, listen to both metro and stalker, they have wonderfull music.

Agree that ambient music tracks suits gaming more than "general rock and high powered symphonic tracks". Although good on its own and cutscenes from a cinematographic point of view, they are unusable "in game". That being said, in a realistic war game, do we really need "in game music" at all?

But, recycling? Yeah, ok. Allows in game content to be used with island addons without adding to mission filesize. I don't expect Arma3 to be "compatible" with the eastern tracks of OA, or russian themed OFP tunes :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Anyone know any good Greek music to put into the game?

We could suggest tracks.

Well, I guess Zorba The Greek (or something original in that style) goes pretty much without saying :p

Yeah I could imagine that music fitting in great with some nice story heavy cutscenes to convey calm before the storm, or maybe if you stumble on a partiularly jovial group of greek civvies, the music could play with a proximity trigger, maybe along with one or two animated guitarists to make it look like they are playing, and if they sense danger, they stop so it could be a dynamic alert if enemy soldiers are approaching the group that you're staying close by to.

At the very least it should play everyonce and while on the main menu!:)

OFP Main Theme = Epic

Never forget running towards (was it Morton?) in the first mission haha.

DUrrr durderderderdum dom dom,

@arigram: I prefer greek influenced. Like OA where the music has a certain "local appearance". Not my favorite style, not by a longshot, but it does fit the theme of the game quite nicely.