Sign in to follow this  
CriminalMinds

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive announced

Once again bringing this from the dead just to say tat this probably is the best FPS MP game I bought in years, I totally recomend it!

A summary of it:

Gameplay: Never been better in the series, everything is fine tuned to a level that only Valve can reach. Weapons are balanced so most of them are quite useful and prevent the boring combination of Deagle\AWP and M4\AK only.

Most of the classic maps are back untouched, or with added little details or a redesigned layout to balance it while maintaining its soul. But there are a lot of new maps, most of them I never played.

Visuals\Sounds: Weapons, characters and maps are very well made, yet simple enough to make it a CS game.

Sounds are good all around, weapons feel "punchy" and the sound design is made so you can almost play the game with closed eyes => VERY important for competitive.

Graphic User Interface, Valve is to gaming what Apple once was for phones because of the GUI. Again, fine tuned. Everything is useful and intuitive, all information you need it's on your face without clutter or distractions (BF3\4?) and the infrastructure for players and the community in general is great; It's easy to add, scout, compliment or complain (cheating?) other players

4fun or 'Casual': Here you have all those silly gamemodes like Gun Game, TDM, a mini version of DEstrction maps (don't even know the name) and the normal mode with increased player count. Matchmaking but you still have the option to join community servers (with browser and all). I barely touched it.

Weapon Skins: They're just that: skins. If you don't like it, completly ignore it.

Each week you can drop up to 4 or 5 (confirmation needed) things: weapons, boxes (need to buy keys for them) or stickers (keys again). Worst case you get some money selling them in the community market, there are people investing serious money on this like buying thousand of boxes in the hope their price will increase in the future; Buy it for 0.10 and sell them for 0.30 = 3x!

I bought the game in a sale for R$7 and made R$25 just selling dropped weapons, no effort involved!

New Weapons:

The molotov: cover a small area with fire, great for hold a rush or deny a path until you can get in position.

Decoy: A grenade that copy the sound of your main weapon and create an "enemy" mark on the radar.

M4A4: 30 Rounds, great for short-medium distances. You have the option to select it over the M4A1 wich is silenced but have 20 rounds mags, great for medium-far distances and the SD really works.

CZ-75 Full auto pistol: Deadly, full auto, just two 12rnd mags great for rushing or countering when you are playing eco.

Ranked or 'Competitive': That is where I spent 95% of the 296 hours I have ingame. This is where the fun is at.

Matchmaking, 5 v 5 (you can still join as a party), best of 30 rounds, no bullshit, leaving\quitting = punished for 30 min\some hours\even days without access to competitive gaming.

Communication within the team is as vital as a good shot or knowing how to play (movement, map spots) and I swear you have a good amount of R6\SWAT4 tactical moments; silent and\or fast sweeps, bang'n'clear, ruses and all that. When you first join competitive you need to play 10 matches so the game will rank you to match make with people with a level similar to yours. Higher levels = more skill, more mature players, less cheaters (now they have HW ID ban), better game all around.

And you have all the e-sport thing going on and strong around it, some matches are filled with adrenaline!

If CS was a car it would be a Porsche 911: Classic, sportive, fun to drive and looks the same in every new version yet it manages to be better all around every time.

CSGO is the culmination of the series, guarantee that.

I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about it, seeing it is the same old CSS in a new shiny outfit + few twists and fixes.

You'd think they'd fix the goddamn hitboxes already, years after that Source abomination caused endless sea of rage.

Meh, why would they do so? microtransactions for shit people create! yaaay!

But yes, it's good. Might be the best in the series, being the most rich and playable release, the one that looks great and the one that's just what gamers need. And it's cheap. And hey... its Counter Strike. The king. You don't need much more than that. It's much better than what I presumed it might be.

"Valve is to gaming what Apple once was for phones because of the GUI" Cmon dude, please. Don't ever put those two together in a sentence. Apple is the Satan of the industry of the electrified world (plagiarising other peoples work then being the patent whore, money-grabbing-brain-washing brand cult, etc) while at the same time Valve stands strong for being "the right guy" in the industry that got tempted by money a bit too much (EA, Activision). The guys who always stood for creativity, credibility and keeping PC market alive and stimulated. You don't put equality sign between Satan and Jesus.

Edited by JonPL

Never asked for anything but the old good simple CS with improvements, wish we had more games in the same path.

Can't complain about hitboxes, in CSS it indeed was a big problem but here the conection (remember: matchmaking) it's bigger. Still, it is good enough most times.

And the Apple\Valve comparison was on the design field only.