Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

ArmA 2 OA Beta Build 83313

Using 83261 on Veteran, all BLUFOR died, but several of the OPFOR with weapons also were killed. I agree that more emphasis should have been focused on the firing OPFOR rather than the vehicle. Wouldn't they be seen as more of an immediate threat? Given that BLUFOR has two .50 cal MGs, all the OPFOR should have been wiped out.

AI currently prefers attacking the truck, as it thinks it is likely to contains soldiers in cargo space, therefore by destroying the truck they hope to kill those soldiers as well. Moreover, the truck is easier target for them at that distance. I agree in this particular case their decision might be wrong, but it would be hard to come with a general solution. Unless there is some case where the mistake is more obvious is shown, I would prefer not trying to fix this.

Moreover, it seems at that distance they are actually unable to realize directly the soldiers are enemies. What you see is therefore like this:

- BLUFOR fires at OPFOR truck, because it is recognizes as a target.

- OPFOR soldier fire at BLUFOR, as they can see they are firing at OPFOR target, therefore they must be BLUFOR

- BLUFOR recognize OPFOR and start engaging them, but they are already late

When you delete both the truck and the MGs, both sides are just standing and nobody is firing.

Edited by Suma
Added recognition problem

AI currently prefers attacking the truck, as it thinks it is likely to contains soldiers in cargo space, therefore by destroying the truck they hope to kill those soldiers as well. Moreover, the truck is easier target for them at that distance. I agree in this particular case their decision might be wrong, but it would be hard to come with a general solution. Unless there is some case where the mistake is more obvious is shown, I would prefer not trying to fix this.

I shouldn't worry too much about "wrong" decisions such as this. AI should make similar wrong decisions that human players might make. I would bet a human player would like to see that truck destroyed :)

It sounds to me like the AI is making appropriate decisions in any case RE the "truck could have units or further use" decision.

I shouldn't worry too much about "wrong" decisions such as this. AI should make similar wrong decisions that human players might make. I would bet a human player would like to see that truck destroyed :)

It sounds to me like the AI is making appropriate decisions in any case RE the "truck could have units or further use" decision.

Testing regular difficulty.

As they only had riffles and were aiming into the cab the truck doesn't get destroyed, maybe you would assign one unit to take out the truck or all fire on the truck until fired upon by other units.

Also a similar thing happens when you replace the truck with a motorcycle. OPFOR do get killed but it seems more like accidental fire.

Moreover, it seems at that distance they are actually unable to realize directly the soldiers are enemies. What you see is therefore like this:

- BLUFOR fires at OPFOR truck, because it is recognizes as a target.

- OPFOR soldier fire at BLUFOR, as they can see they are firing at OPFOR target, therefore they must be BLUFOR

- BLUFOR recognize OPFOR and start engaging them, but they are already late

When you delete both the truck and the MGs, both sides are just standing and nobody is firing.

Yes, I generally agree. I don't see this behavior as a big deal in need of fixing. On Veteran, the BLUFOR handle the OPFOR and truck successfully enough so that if I was playing as BLUFOR alongside them, I would take out the remaining shooting OPFOR with no problem. I think it's good that they, at least at first, attack the truck and keep shooting at it for a while even though the driver is dead (ostensibly to eliminate soldiers that could be in cargo). One time, BLUFOR destroyed the truck, but they were too late in switching to attack the defending OPFOR, who had already targeted BLUFOR, and all BLUFOR were killed.

In general, as Suma already knows, addressing recently reported "issues" like the AI not stopping and firing enough (CanFire not happening frequently enough, either while running to cover or after reloading) is dangerous in that it will impact gameplay of every mission and scenario, and should be undertaken very carefully and should be extensively tested. I hope that if such changes are implemented, BIS would suggest particular missions and scenarios (official or user-created) that we can use to test the changes. Such changes would alter the "guts" of A2 AI.

What you may find is that people use it as an exploit, ie take any vehicle as it will draw the their fire and you'll be free to engage.

Other strange things also happen, if the truck isn't part of the group but in exactly the same place BLUFOR win. The outcome should be the same as it looks the same to BLUFOR.

If the truck isn't part of the group but is also full of OPFOR units in cargo BLUFOR win again even though OPFOR now have twice the number of units.

sidenote the animation for units getting out of the truck is wrong they are a meter too high.

Edited by F2k Sel

What you may find is that people use it as an exploit, ie take any vehicle as it will draw the their fire and you'll be free to engage.

Other strange things also happen, if the truck isn't part of the group but in exactly the same place BLUFOR win. The outcome should be the same as it looks the same to BLUFOR.

If the truck isn't part of the group but is also full of OPFOR units in cargo BLUFOR win again even though OPFOR now have twice the number of units.

sidenote the animation for units getting out of the truck is wrong they are a meter too high.

Strange indeed.