Sign in to follow this  
-Coulum-

New non-hitpoint based wounding

What exactly would be the gameplay purpose for "incapacitation?"

They have it in I44, and it's an okay feature, it gives medics a little bit more purpose. But generally it adds very little to single player, and only a little bit of extra fun to coop multiplayer.

Truthfully incapacitation in single-player is not really gameplay, unless you like trying to wrangle your medic into coming over to you. If you even have one :)

I guess incapacitation is most useful/fun/appropriate in PvP.

Truthfully incapacitation in single-player is not really gameplay, unless you like trying to wrangle your medic into coming over to you. If you even have one :)

I guess incapacitation is most useful/fun/appropriate in PvP.

I always hated crawling after medics. They always seemed just out of reach. :(

But I have to question how incapacitation could be implemented in a fun way in coop or PVP that wouldn't detract from the emphasis of the mission.

Most people are not interested in evacing people in a public server. You would need a highly specific realism mission to be made to take advantage of it. Otherwise people will just choose to respawn rather than lay there for 10 minutes waiting for a ride.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be awesome to have actual medics in the game come and rescue me or others, but this type of gameplay fits into almost no game made to date.

I always hated crawling after medics. They always seemed just out of reach. :(

But I have to question how incapacitation could be implemented in a fun way in coop or PVP that wouldn't detract from the emphasis of the mission.

Most people are not interested in evacing people in a public server. You would need a highly specific realism mission to be made to take advantage of it. Otherwise people will just choose to respawn rather than lay there for 10 minutes waiting for a ride.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be awesome to have actual medics in the game come and rescue me or others, but this type of gameplay fits into almost no game made to date.

Well, I guess it's all about what you wish to get out of playing. The realism crowd will play with no respawn, therefore staying safe and/or helping teamates is a priority, and represents a large part of the gameplay.

How you fail a mission can be as entertaining as how you succeed at it :) if that's the gameplay paradigm. Some of my best gaming comes from recovering a disasterous situation :)

Well, I guess it's all about what you wish to get out of playing. The realism crowd will play with no respawn, therefore staying safe and/or helping teamates is a priority, and represents a large part of the gameplay.

How you fail a mission can be as entertaining as how you succeed at it :) if that's the gameplay paradigm. Some of my best gaming comes from recovering a disasterous situation :)

Well usually when there is no respawn, you'll have a nearby medic. In which case the current game mechanics work just fine. No need to call in helicopter or hmmv and take them back to base (their game would essentially be over anyway) Evacing someone just to have them magically heal in 30 seconds at base, and having them dropped back into battle truly isn't realistic.

I like ACE's healing system and I think that's as far as the game should go with it. If there are enough dedicated realism players (40+) playing coop on a mission that was meticulously crafted, I would love to see evacuations (due to the level of coordination it takes).

My suggestion for damage system:

Head: Any direct hit by bullet or shrapnel will cause instant death. Undirect hit (e.g. explosion blast) would cause burns witch would mean incapacitation (partial blindness, sounds of agony etc.).

Throath and upper half of torso (ripcage area): 1 hit -> 2min incapacitation (blurry eye sight, sounds of hyperventilation, shortness of breath and finally pass out (lasts 2min)-> death), 2+ hits -> 1min incapacitation as earlier.

Undirect hit (explosion blast) would cause incapacitation symptoms as earlier (30min) ->death.

Lower half of torso: 0,5min "bodyshock" (player can act normally). After that 10min incapacitation (symptoms as earlier)

Arms: Any direct hit by bullet or shrapnel will cause incapacitation of that limb. Means agony (sounds, blurry eye sight, can walk and shoot, but only from "hip"(aiming disapled). After 20min incapacitation (lasts 10min) ->death.

Undirect hit -> incapacitation of the limb (symptoms as earlier). After 30min incapacitation (lasts 60min)

Legs: Any direct hit will incapacitate that limb. Means agony (blurry eye sight, sounds, wobbling aiming). After 10min -> incapacitation (lasts 5min)->death.

Undirect hit (explosion blast) -> incapacitation of the limb (symptoms as earlier). After 20min -> incapacitation (lasts 30min)-> pass out/death

Any weapon from under 25m would cause "direct hit", from longer distances pistols would cause "undirect hit" and every weapon could have own "direct hit" distance.

Medic can double those times and erase symptoms (limb still can't be used).

I think this would be simple enough, but it would still simulate injuries/healing quite well.

For single player: Incapacitation=death for that mission. If there is medics player could be respawn as their leader and his task would be MedEvac his former character... as an option you can hit "Restart-button".

PvP: As in SP or you could change to other unit (optional of cource)

MP: when incapacitated player could be respawn as a medic/medical team leader and his task would be medevac his former character from the field after that he could be assigned to other roles. I think this could be a way to keep everybody in the game.

I know there are problems, but what do you guys think?

Edited by -FinLynx-

I wouldn't want something like that to be hardcoded though. TBH, if only we had more/better animations and access to a few more hardcoded effects (like weapon sway, stamina, etc..) you could pretty much implement an otherwise perfect system IMO with the current ArmA 2 system.

I've tried working on my own AIS (alternate injury system)/FA (first aid) stuff and aside from being plagued by animations (sometimes I feel I could achieve so much more if I had more art capability) the system I came up with worked nicely. And the best part was that I could add more parameters/variables for mission makers to manipulate.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

My suggestion for damage system:

Head: Any direct hit by bullet or shrapnel will cause instant death. Undirect hit (e.g. explosion blast) would cause burns witch would mean incapacitation (partial blindness, sounds of agony etc.).

Throath and upper half of torso (ripcage area): 1 hit -> 2min incapacitation (blurry eye sight, sounds of hyperventilation, shortness of breath and finally pass out (lasts 2min)-> death), 2+ hits -> 1min incapacitation as earlier.

Undirect hit (explosion blast) would cause incapacitation symptoms as earlier (30min) ->death.

Lower half of torso: 0,5min "bodyshock" (player can act normally). After that 10min incapacitation (symptoms as earlier)

Arms: Any direct hit by bullet or shrapnel will cause incapacitation of that limb. Means agony (sounds, blurry eye sight, can walk and shoot, but only from "hip"(aiming disapled). After 20min incapacitation (lasts 10min) ->death.

Undirect hit -> incapacitation of the limb (symptoms as earlier). After 30min incapacitation (lasts 60min)

Legs: Any direct hit will incapacitate that limb. Means agony (blurry eye sight, sounds, wobbling aiming). After 10min -> incapacitation (lasts 5min)->death.

Undirect hit (explosion blast) -> incapacitation of the limb (symptoms as earlier). After 20min -> incapacitation (lasts 30min)-> pass out/death

Any weapon from under 25m would cause "direct hit", from longer distances pistols would cause "undirect hit" and every weapon could have own "direct hit" distance.

Medic can double those times and erase symptoms (limb still can't be used).

I think this would be simple enough, but it would still simulate injuries/healing quite well.

For single player: Incapacitation=death for that mission. If there is medics player could be respawn as their leader and his task would be MedEvac his former character... as an option you can hit "Restart-button".

PvP: As in SP or you could change to other unit (optional of cource)

MP: when incapacitated player could be respawn as a medic/medical team leader and his task would be medevac his former character from the field after that he could be assigned to other roles. I think this could be a way to keep everybody in the game.

I know there are problems, but what do you guys think?

For limb injuries there could be self applied "first aid" meaning that times would be doubled and medic could triple those times.

And maybe there should be somekind of unconsciousness system which would simulate concussion/incapacitation (blasts etc.) and recory( 0.5-2min) from it. I think this kind of system would be nice especially because of the ragdoll-feature. Concussion system would make a big difference to cqb because now enemy is ready to shoot at you after handgrenade if not dead.

And of cource armor would affect to symptoms/incapacitation. But it's a different story.

Edited by -FinLynx-

i like americas army 3s system, its sort of like aces, i believe it assigns a random injury upon being incapped, for example, if you get shot in the chest, it might be "gunshot, bleeding, pneumothorax", and if you get shot in the leg it might just be bleeding, and a gunshot, or bleeding, a gunshot, and a broken leg, and i think they can be combined with things like being unconcious or needing CPR (each injury has symptoms, pale skin, shallow breathing, bleeding etc) and you have to treat them in order, gunshot to the chest w/ pneumothorax would be intubation (i dont remember if there is a chest tube i dont have the game right now), bleeding/gunshots, etc. i havent played it in awhile so i dont remember the specifics of how the system works, but i like the idea of there being an actual injury with symptoms to look for that has to be treated in a certain way

There's a nasal tube, NPA. That deals with it because it doesn't say collapsed lung it just says the casualty finds it hard to breathe or cannot breathe.

i knew it was something like that, but i would like a system like that, ace used to have all of this medical equipment like IV bags that didnt actually do anything, aa3s system is nice IMO.