Sign in to follow this  
David Schofield

Arma 2: G36 series vs XM8 series?

First of all..

-XM Series is based on the G36 Series.

-XM Series is a canceled project, while the G36 is established in the German army and in Special Forces around the world just like the MP5 or UMP.

-You call this "decent"? >>

-Or this >>

MG4, 100 bullets in 8 seconds, most precise and modern Machingun in the world. H&K.

I call this epic.

Lovely to see the shitstorm of spamming and hate on the G36. And of course, by americans? Please, tell me again how your M16/M4 Series is so good that the USMC/US Army tried to replace it already a douzends of time, and most of the Prototypes for its remplacement came from Germany. And how does the "G36 is so inaccurate duh" work out for you, seeing the results of the last 4-5 years Specops comparison trainings? I haven't seen anyone shooting down targets accurately over 6 or 800 meters with any M16/M4-Series rifle in any equipment, apart of the Marksman variant with a Bipod and a 12" Scope. Then again, any G36S can be zeroed to 800m and is decently accurate on that range. And i'm not talking about the 'Murica' style of going full auto trying to scare the enemy away rather than attmepting to hit anything, which is actually quite known in the middle east currently. I'm talking about serious US Special forces which know how to handle their weapon.

It's a fact that in terms of Military hardware, german products have always outclassed any competitors. Thats the reason why "Made in Germany" is a symbol for quality and endurability. Since WW1 we definitely had better Equipment in any sector, beeing it the Navy's Ships, the Tanks, Weapons, Ammo, Aircraft. And quality comes at a Price, which many of you seem to hate and flame upon. If so, stay with your old M16 and AK's, i'm not saying these are bad weapons, they get their job done such as any other gun does. But please, leave the arguing about which gun is better to those who know the gun from more than games and rumors. Also, the Brit's build their guns themselves, just saying. The L82 design is by H&K, but it's assembled and built in the UK under license, using local engineering, manpower and ressources. So, H&K is definitely not to blame for material failure, bad framework ir misaligned Optics.

I remember a day in Officer school, we had off and went to visit the SEKM on their range. Brought a MG4 and made it's barrel almost glow. Over 12000 shots fired in about 3 Hours. And it didn't jam and did not went inaccurate or anything. Now, show me your M240B or M60 which can do this. And then, we come back to argue about weapons.

Now, could we end the shitstorm of arguing and go over to the original question?

The XM8 Series in A2 have a nice builtin red dot, but aren't good for far ranges, a decent CQC Rifle. It's not too loud when not facing the muzzle, even without the SD variant you can easily mask the shot with some noise such as a vehicle or chopper passing by. Advantageous is, the M8 comes with a Underslung launcher.

The G36 is generally more reliable in terms of accuracy, but shoots at lower rate of fire. The Recoil is manageable during burstfiring, but the gun isn't meant to go full auto. There are a couple of nice variants, including the G36C-SD for stealth ops, and it comes in desert camo packs, too. In any open combat i would always take a G36 over any XM8, and for specops/commando missions during stealth, i always took the G36CSD. XM8 comes in handy for CQC, and it's advantage is, if you play together with 'normal' infantry using the Stanag US 5.56 rounds, you can rearm using their ammunition, if desired.

The only difference config-wise is a faster rof for XM8.

Topic solved.