Sign in to follow this  
David Schofield

Arma 2: G36 series vs XM8 series?

Basically the question is the title. What are the pros and cons of the G36 series as to the XM8 series in Arma 2?

I use mission editor a lot (this is not a mission-editor question, but a question about avalible firearms in Arma2), and I want to arm a group of soldiers with G36s or XM8s as an 'advanced' squad. I've been listing out classes and stuff, and now I've come to this point in my mapmaking. (I never use add-ons, so I try to be clever when making missions for myself to play. I'm easilly entertained by the beauty of Arma 2's landscape and the many ways of taking out hostiles... And not able to do multiplayer.)

So essentially, how do they face off to one another? I was hoping someone here could give me some statistics to compare them, if possible, because I'm not very good right now because my comp. is recovering from a crash, and the game is not installed at the moment. I have many things saved on a backup though, so it's all good. I've never been good at recording statistics of infantry weapons anyways.

IF you know the specifics, I could use a help-out on specific models of the M8 and G36 family comparison.

G36a vs M8 Carbine

G36a vs M8 Sharpshooter

G36K vs M8 Compact

G36K vs M8 Carbine

G36C vs M8 Compact

MG36 vs M8 SAW

I've done multiple searches and have found nothing, so I've decided just to ask.

Edited by David Schofield

theres no great difference between them other then they look different

pmc adds some new types of xm8, including a SD one

but other then that, same mag, same bullets, same power and same zoom on the optics

xm8 has the advantage of a GL version

XM8 has GL version and adjustable sights on some models, vs no GL version and builtin BDC on the G36. I never use the SAWs, only the M249 SAW to avoid making drum mags available.

G36 has dual sights, XM8 has better full auto feel due to faster rof.

I've got myself Razer and Iam absolutely delighted with it. They're little more expensive but i never looked back to my previous and any logi mouse

razer-orochi-bluetooth-mouse.jpeg

Edit- also the quality feels like it's another level on these, no cheep plastic or ''squeeky'' buttons, everything very solid and fit in hand just like it was designed for my hand from day :pill:

Edited by Bee8190
Holy S***, Wrong tread, I appologize

G36 has dual sights, XM8 has better full auto feel due to faster rof.
Dual sight on A2 G36 was deactivated as a measure to solve some problems...and it was never reintroduced. It's really a shame but this is not the only occurance of this kind of Buf managing by BIS...the complete conversation system for A2 units was disabled in 1.57 and is still partially broken with OA units...including SOM radio messages. And there are more things like that thats are missing in OA but are still in A2. Looks like BIS is already overchallengs to get A2:CO working right .... hence the rush for an A3?

Btw. the G36 kolimator sight is bad aligned...when you look thoug the original you dont see parts of the upper handle rail like in the game.

Edited by Beagle

well i think its all good imho so its like personal preferences but im not a weapon expert,i like it all, in the right hands they are real killing machines:cool:

I like the ACE G36s and PMC XM8s.

They're pretty much the same gun, except the XM8 IRL is a big piece of overpriced shit.

I like the ACE G36s and PMC XM8s.

They're pretty much the same gun, except the XM8 IRL is a big piece of overpriced shit.

Heh, almost any H&K is.

Heh, almost any H&K is.

Every H&K except the G3 has been a big piece of fucking shit.

The German army is constantly having problems with the G36.

and now you calm down please.

The G36 is used by 15 countries and is known for its accuracy.

xm8 IS G36 derivative, made by HK USA for planned M-16/M4 replacement.

different stock, "metro-sexual" appearance and other [minor tweaks]

but instead of M8, US A, US MC, US Af pick HK M416, which advantage over M8/G36 is only: more familar look/design[not much], 400g less weight - at price of 5x more stoppages/jamming and more bigger spread.

LOL MP5 wut.

Agreed, except for one point. H&K pistols are pretty damn good, and fairly inexpensive.

and now you calm down please.

The G36 is used by 15 countries and is known for its accuracy.

Any gun, after being properly assembled, has to be tested for accuracy. The G36 meets the requirements to see action, but it's no marksmanship rifle. And Archo is right, the G36's reliability isn't good.

LOL MP5 wut.

The MP5 is a toy. And costs 3 times as much as everything else. Not worth a damn.

xm8 IS G36 derivative, made by HK USA for planned M-16/M4 replacement.

different stock, "metro-sexual" appearance and other [minor tweaks]

but instead of M8, US A, US MC, US Af pick HK M416, which advantage over M8/G36 is only: more familar look/design[not much], 400g less weight - at price of 5x more stoppages/jamming and more bigger spread.

Just the USMC. Army still hasn't made up it's mind after the SCAR debacle, and there's no way in hell the air force is picking it out of a lineup. But more realistically, instead of the M8, the US M picked the FN scar, which ended up being an even bigger piece of shit. We don't even field those piles of shit anymore because you couldn't look down the sights without it falling apart. But either way, I honestly don't see any of them making a significant move away from the M16/M4 platform. I'd love to eat my words and see everyone pick up the REC7 in 6.8 though.

H&K only (imo) makes good pistols. Now those are good.

H&K rifles are terrible and it's a fact.

Anything the MP5 can do a specific carbine chambered in 5.45 can do better.

Archo is right, the G36's reliability isn't good.

I would like to see a source on that. I really think you are confusing the H&k rifle with the G36 pistol by Glock. :D

Are you in the German army? I was ... and I call bullshit.

Do you really think you shot enough weapons by HK to make such an "elaborate" and general comment, Archosaurusrev?

The old rumors about breaking buttstocks and deforming plastic are what they are - rumors. Spread in military forums by H&K haters who had no contact with the guns they were rambling about.

The G36 is accurate enough and reliable. The only thing i didn't like was the standard optic, but thank god new versions have a rail instead of it.

And yes, it's not as accurate as an M16. But who cares. After traveling 400metres down range the .223 is as deadly as a gentle clap to the butt. Yes I'm exagerrating, but rifles in .223 do not need to be accurate DMRs.

And why are the pistols so good? Ever held an USP in your hand? The ergonomics are flawed, imo.

And honestly ... the MP5? Bad? Such a pity the SAS, SWAT and pretty much every other special forces unit didn't have you around back then to stop them from buying shitty MP5s. I guess they have to live with them now ... poor bastards.

And comparing MP5s to carbines is a bit off, because you're essentially comparing all 9mm SMGs with carbines and that is another story.

Edited by lonesquad

I would like to see a source on that. I really think you are confusing the H&k rifle with the G36 pistol by Glock. :D

Are you in the German army? I was ... and I call bullshit.

Do you really think you shot enough weapons by HK to make such an "elaborate" and general comment, Archosaurusrev?

The old rumors about breaking buttstocks and deforming plastic are what they are - rumors. Spread in military forums by H&K haters who had no contact with the guns they were rambling about.

I'm American, which means I haven't touched the G36. We have self respect. :P But after listening to a bunch or Royal Army grunts, and hearing so many horror stories, I'm inclined to believe all the rumors.

The G36 is accurate enough and reliable. The only thing i didn't like was the standard optic, but thank god new versions have a rail instead of it.

And yes, it's not as accurate as an M16. But who cares. After traveling 400metres down range the .223 is as deadly as a gentle clap to the butt. Yes I'm exagerrating, but rifles in .223 do not need to be accurate DMRs.

That's the point. How can it be known for accuracy if the M16 outperforms it and it in general being a 5.56 rifle. So with that in mind, it's absurd price, and the horror stories I mentioned earlier, the case isn't looking good for that gun.

And why are the pistols so good? Ever held an USP in your hand? The ergonomics are flawed, imo.

They're not THAT bad. I prefer them a ton over almost any other plastic pistol. The only plastic gun I like more is the Springfield XD,

And honestly ... the MP5? Bad? Such a pity the SAS, SWAT and pretty much every other special forces unit didn't have you around back then to stop them from buying shitty MP5s. I guess they have to live with them now ... poor bastards.

And comparing MP5s to carbines is a bit off, because you're essentially comparing all 9mm SMGs with carbines and that is another story.

My 9mm M4 upper conversion kit cost me $480 USD, and nets me a very serviceable alternative to an MP5 platform for like a 10th of the money.

SF may get their hands on them, and good for them. But they're way too damn expensive to give out in any greater numbers, specially when it's considered that there are better alternatives anyways.

The MP5 is a toy. And costs 3 times as much as everything else.
Anything the MP5 can do a specific carbine chambered in 5.45 can do better.
SF may get their hands on them, and good for them. But they're way too damn expensive to give out in any greater numbers, specially when it's considered that there are better alternatives anyways.

So the MP5 is expensive, and is apparently bested by the AKSU. Neither argument has persuaded me, or quite a good portion of the world's Special Forces for that matter, that it is a "fucking piece of shit."

Funny - OP just asked

What are the pros and cons of the G36 series as to the XM8 series in Arma 2?
and again kiddos hijacked it with their own uberl33t totalreal experience. :D

No please go and make some unbiased tests in A2/OA and find the differences between the G36 and XM8 series.

Funny - OP just asked

and again kiddos hijacked it with their own uberl33t totalreal experience. :D

No please go and make some unbiased tests in A2/OA and find the differences between the G36 and XM8 series.

First off: Trolling is a art.

Second: The only difference I see in ArmA2 are the G36 has a shittier optic and the XM8 looks like a fish.

Forever fish.

The only difference config-wise is a faster rof for XM8.

So the MP5 is expensive, and is apparently bested by the AKSU. Neither argument has persuaded me, or quite a good portion of the world's Special Forces for that matter, that it is a "fucking piece of shit."

Not persuading you of what? (And I wouldn't say they're bested by the AKSU. I got a chance to fire one of those a while back and it's weird as hell)

All archo is saying is that comparably, they're not that good. And what I'm trying to say is that they're way to expensive to be realistic.

Sure the SF teams have them... but the SF teams get a ton of money for equipment costs. The rest of the military and police world have to buy them out of our own pockets. And considering that they're three times the price of comparable or better weapons, it's just not gonna happen.

H&K make a few decent guns. But it's their arrogance that gets in the way. Their guns aren't as great as they seem to think, and aren't worth anything close to what they charge you to get one in your hands.