Sign in to follow this  
pazuzu

Which version to buy?

Hi, I'm interested in buying Arma 2, but I know nothing about it except there's the basic Arma 2 and some expansions for it like Operation Arrowhead.

I would just like some advice on which version to get.

I see ArmA 2: Combined Operations at amazon, which includes Operation Arrowhead. Is this a good package?

Oh, and are there still a lot of people playing this game?

Are dedicated servers the primary way to play online?

Does Gamespy provide online play?

Thank you.

A2 CO is your best bet. Buy DLCs if you want them, BAF is worth it, PMC is not my thing... wouldn't spend money on it.

Buy from sprocket!

That is digital download and BI get more cash from the deal.

If you are looking to just get ArmA II, I would go with ArmA II: Combined Operations along with the expansions British Armed Forces and Private Military Company.

If you would like to play the whole collection made by Bohemia Interactive, I would suggest getting ArmA X: Anniversary Edition. This version includes - ArmA: Cold War Assault, ArmA: Combat Operations (Armed Assault), ArmA II, ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead, and all downloadable content for each game.

Thank you for the advice. This narrows it down a bit. I think Combined Operations is probably the one I'll go for.

Thanks again.

Arma 2 CO is pretty cheap on steam today, 20 euro's, 20% cheaper than sprocket.

CO is $29 at Best buy now. At least in Canada it is.

Much better value since you get a box, manual and DVD and don't have to screw around with Steams quirks.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

There's no way I would go with Steam. I want the box with disc & manual.

Hi,

Like OP, I'm a newb myself. However, instead of Combined Operations, I had to purchase Operation Arrowhead because I wanted a physical copy (not digital d/l) and for some reason no retail store in the UK sells CO.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if OA was the correct one to buy? Is it a good starter? How does it differ from CO (which people seem to be recommending above) and what if anything am I missing? Do I need something else for the full experience?

Sorry to be such a nub!

Edited by ghost101

Combined Operations is ArmA 2 and ArmA: Operation Arrowhead. If you don't get combined operations, your missing out on ArmA 2, which unfortunately a lot of mods require combined operations.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll need to grab a copy of the original ArmA 2 as well.

So, I am new to gaming and Arma and my rig is being built. Should i buy the Arma X edition directly from BIS online, or what?

I was kind of hoping to buy all my games on Steam for ease of use, but I am hearing a few bad things about not being able to do your own patches as and when and so on. Is it better to get the box set?

I am not brill at computing, so maybe Steam with its automatic updates is the way forward afterall??

T1BBO, the ArmA X edition includes:

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (Now renamed ArmA: Cold War Assault)

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance (Now renamed ArmA: Cold War Assault)

ArmA: Combat Operations (AKA In Europe - ArmA: Armed Assault) + Queen's Gambit DLC

ArmA II

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead + British Armed Forces and Private Military Company DLC

And yes, to answer your question (I read a little too quickly), buy it from BIS.

Although, I know buying directly from BIS at Sprocket helps them the most, I still prefer Steam due to ease of use and I don't have to go to 5 different website to get my games.

Edited by Nicholas

So, I am new to gaming and Arma and my rig is being built. Should i buy the Arma X edition directly from BIS online, or what?

I was kind of hoping to buy all my games on Steam for ease of use, but I am hearing a few bad things about not being able to do your own patches as and when and so on. Is it better to get the box set?

I am not brill at computing, so maybe Steam with its automatic updates is the way forward afterall??

Steam can be a hassle, but it is not like the game is not worth getting if you really want it on Steam for wathever reason. If you just want a digital copy, buy it from the new BIS store, or impulse.

Installing patches for ArmA is beyond easy so don't worry about that, you just download them to your computer, double click them and that's about it.

Thanks guys.

Could I ask if anyone wants to give me a list of the "First 10 things to do once i get my rig and Arma 2", list?

e.g.: Install Armarize launcher, 2. install patches XYZ, 3. update to ABC etc. etc.

I dont have a clue after installing it....

Does anyone have a clan i can get into? How do you add "Friends" on PC, like on Xbox live?

I have been watching youtube videos instead of working today (!) and a group called the UNITED OPERATIONS semm really slick -anyone on here a member? I want to be Enlisted!!

Tibbo, out!

You can check out the ArmA 2 & OA - SQUADS AND FANPAGES forum if you're interested in joining a clan or squad.

Check out the Armaholic Patching Guide for information on installing the correct patches in the correct order.

If you haven't found it by now, I personally believe that Armaholic is the premiere addons/news/mod website for the ArmA series. I would keep ArmA II in vanilla (AKA Stock, Plain, No Addons/Mods) for a while before installing any mods. Something like ACE for a beginner can make the controls even more confusing. I don't understand why people suggest to install mods right away. Don't do it until you are 95% comfortable with vanilla.

I would suggest either CO, but if you have the wedge get Arma X: Anniversary Edition, think you even have ofp in it as well, im even getting that, and i have all the others, seems like a land mark type edition nostalgia ect

I would like the Arma X edition, but a hard copy so i get the maps etc, and it doesnt take a month to download everything. Wonder if it is available anywhere yet?

How would I "add" you guys online, on PC so we can hook up for a game?

I believe most people just "hook up" via Steam, MSN, ICQ, etc.

I usually just add people to Steam, as I don't use MSN or ICQ or any IM program.

So, thats the voice comms, however, do I just host a match and then you look for me, or can you just join a dedicated server whenever you like and both go off and do your own thin on the servers map, or what? (maybe I should wait till i get the game and it will become clear!)

If I add you on Steam, I'd say something like "Hey, let's play some ArmA, join the server 'ArmA Rules'." You can either host a game yourself or meet up on the same dedicated server. You can do objectives together or whatever.

There is voice communication/chat and different channels in-game.

I would like the Arma X edition, but a hard copy so i get the maps etc, and it doesnt take a month to download everything. Wonder if it is available anywhere yet?

How would I "add" you guys online, on PC so we can hook up for a game?

Think the Majority have xfire, so use that, if you wish to play arma on a regular basis, should join a clan. :)