Sign in to follow this  
FallenPaladin

Do you turn off the music in operation flashpoint?

I`m just curious, how many people play Operation Flashpoint with music turned off.

I play without music, because that improves the atmosphere in my eyes (and ears) . Also it makes it easier for me to react to enemy movement, if I hear them before I`m able to see them actually (thanks to my surround speaker system wink.gif ) . Especially in the woods.

I honestly don't view this as the average action game designed for fun. I play to experience the combat, and thus I doubt that soldiers in the battlefield carry boom boxes or wear headphones listening to music. lol

I find it more useful to listen for enemy footsteps from 500 meters away and try to pinpoint their location.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ May 23 2002,14:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I honestly don't view this as the average action game designed for fun.  I play to experience the combat, and thus I doubt that soldiers in the battlefield carry boom boxes or wear headphones listening to music. lol<span id='postcolor'>

true, true

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ May 23 2002,14:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I`m just curious, how many people play Operation Flashpoint with music turned off.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I like music in intros, but hate it during gameplay, so I usually turn it off. I rely much on my ears for early warning during gameplay. Music just distracts me.

Hmm, i don't remember i heard ever music play during the game. Only in cut-scenes, or when you died or won the level. When in combat i never had music.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ May 23 2002,14:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm, i don't remember i heard ever music play during the game. Only in cut-scenes, or when you died or won the level. When in combat i never had music.<span id='postcolor'>

Some MP missions have this - it's very annoying...

i like the music in cutscenes etc, some made missions had some cracking tunes " spirit in the sky" tune for a platoon mission that somoene made was amazing

i don't mind music in cutscenes but turn it off if some genius decided to play some music full blast in the middle of a infantry battle, also accept it while in transport, as long as it's not full blast

I used to have it off, cause its not that realistic; you dont exactly get to hear "Lifeless" on command in real life when you know youre about to kick some ass.

But then i turned it back on cause a lot of it can really help the mood.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ May 23 2002,14:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">play Operation Flashpoint with music turned off.<span id='postcolor'>

Nein.

Altho it is not realistic it still makes the mood better, I guess. I probably will try it with music off but I only really mess around in the editor recently. Music is ok in tank battles (slow blades mostly for some reason) but sometimes I leave music out of it.

Voted yes, of course it is obvious I do listen to music in OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ May 23 2002,08:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you dont exactly get to hear "Lifeless" on command in real life when you know youre about to kick some ass.<span id='postcolor'>

didn't you hear? the OICW has a MP3 player and headphone jack

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordZach @ May 23 2002,10:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ May 23 2002,08:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you dont exactly get to hear "Lifeless" on command in real life when you know youre about to kick some ass.<span id='postcolor'>

didn't you hear?  the OICW has a MP3 player and headphone jack<span id='postcolor'>

lol, i wouldnt be a bit surprised!

Music off for me.But i would listen to it if he had some jimi hendrix ,some hard rock stuff.That would be pretty sweet.Where did Ofp album thread go to ?

I turn music very low volume, not because i wouldn´t like it, but it is distracting for me if it kicks in at full loudness, making it almost impossible to hear the more important sound effects.

The speech/voice volume i turned also down in loudness, because it is very nerving.

I definately keep the musics on because most intros sucks if they don't have it, they lack the right atmosphere and some mission makers has put a custom music which could be worth for listening too. And I haven't seen so many missions where the musics would be in the mission itself, only in the intro. Or if so, they are only been played during a transportation or so.

you mean you don't find the constant shouting of "WHERE ARE YOU" when you are clearly in their field of vision sexy?

i wish their mouths would move when they said that, so i could put a bullet in it. all the AI squad is really good for biggrin.gif

I play this game now for such a long time that I dont realy care anymore about how "challenging" the mission is. I like the athmospherics: I like the right color of the sun at the right moment. I like distant war sounds, I like the music at the right moment of the intro? I keep it on!

There has been a tool to implement your own music into OFP right? How much bigger does the mission get if you implement a new *.wav or *.mp3 or whatever it requires?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ May 23 2002,21:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I play this game now for such a long time that I dont realy care anymore about how "challenging" the mission is. I like the athmospherics: I like the right color of the sun at the right moment. I like distant war sounds, I like the music at the right moment of the intro? I keep it on!

There has been a tool to implement your own music into OFP right? How much bigger does the mission get if you implement a new *.wav or *.mp3 or whatever it requires?<span id='postcolor'>

I totally agree with you in that atmosphere opinion smile.gif

A mission's size can jump from 50kb even up to 10mb if you add a long music track in it. But often it's worth it. The format is .ogg by the way.

i've had WAVs load in missions before on accidents and they played, didn't know that was possible, i doubt they would work with mp3s tho

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordZach @ May 23 2002,21:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you mean you don't find the constant shouting of "WHERE ARE YOU" when you are clearly in their field of vision sexy?

i wish their mouths would move when they said that, so i could put a bullet in it.  all the AI squad is really good for biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

that´s exactly what i meant, it´s horrible, i almost get haunted by that.

Maybe i should strap on some horns and a rotating flashlight onto my helmet in addition to a large cowbell around my neck, so AI don´t loose track of me.

Also inside the vehicle it´s horrible, especially if you have to wait with your fire command till the AI has finished croaking its dubious reports.

(3 is the gunner doing the blabbing)

"12 oclock t-80 200"

"target t80"

"12 oclock man 200"

"12 oclock at soldier 200"

"3 injured"

"12 oclock t-80 100"

"12 oclock hind 500"

"12 oclock soldier 100"

"3 status red"

"2 oclock man 100"

"2 oclock truck 200"

"3 is down"

"fire"

what i would give for a radio silence mod...

There are very few games where I listen to ingame music cause I mostly feel its unrealistic. Frequently bad music also.

I have however played a few gems, early in the demo days of OFP somebody did a mission where a mass airdrop was set to a piece of 'Conan the Barbarian' music and another in Ghost Recon which used some 'Lisa Gerrard'. A cliche but still very effective.

I love the OFP soundtrack. I think it is one of the best I've heard so far. Even better than the R6 themesongs. Like alot of people said, I like music during cutscenes and intros, but during game play is distracting and can get annoying.

If i'm just TEARING the shit out of some enemy base in an aircraft or something, i think music can be cool. As its been said, sometimes, it really helps the mood. Sometimes "Dark Side" makes me feel so alone when i'm doing a spec ops mission.