Sign in to follow this  
know_thyself

Sniper Elite

Has anyone played this game (I know it's kind of old)? A friend suggested it and I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on it? I know it will probably lack the realism of Arma, Red Orchestra, or America's Army (my three favorite games) but I also enjoy games like Battlefield and the older Call of Duty games so I thought that I may give this one a shot. I'm mostly interested because you rarely see a 'sniper' game especially since most of them are done terribly. So thoughts?

The levels are very restrictive, and many of the "sniper" shots border CQB by Arma standards. Stealth is enforced by making normal combat needlessly complicated. Wouldn't recommend to someone who's looking for actual sniping and not just the general theme and glorified idea.

Thanks for the reply. I will probably pass on it then. Hopefully there will be more sniper missions in the next Arma. I loved the two in Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

Again I didn't really enjoy this game, playing it for only a very few short minutes.

I found it a really low budget and unispired game. Likewise, I didn't do any sniping that i wouldn't have been equally as able to do with a pistol in Rainbow Six.

I have a friend however who loved it and was desperate to show it to the rest of us. It probably only costs 50p to buy.

If you had an old PC or laptop or something...

Sniper: Ghost Warrior is also crappy because of spawning enemies rendering the whole stealth play pointless.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior is also crappy because of spawning enemies rendering the whole stealth play pointless.

Yeah, I've heard Sniper Ghost Warrior is terrible. Since we're on the subject, how are the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games? I loved the original Ghost Recon games but was disappointed with Ghost Recon 2 and never looked into any of the subsequent releases. I've heard good things about GRAW and GRAW2 but was wondering how it is according to pc gamers... so thoughts?

I bought the GRAW games during the Steam sale, and to be honest, I'm glad I didn't pay the full price for them. They're nothing amazing, in my opinion. Unfortunately there isn't much out on the market of Arma-equivalence.

A real and dedicated true sniper sim would be very boring, maybe even more boring as a true Recon Sim.

Beagle, I'm not asking whether GRAW is a sniper sim... I'm just curious if it's a game worth playing since I'm trying to find other games to play until Red Orchestra 2 and Battlefield 3 come out. Or were your referring to my earlier post? I'm not interested in a sniper sim as much as I am interested in a game that treats sniping with more authenticity and seriousness than most games which may start out alright before quickly descending into mindless action like the sniper mission in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. As I said before, I loved the two sniper missions in the first Operation Flashpoint.

Edited by know_thyself

I just wanted to point out that almost all games do not really reflect what sniping or recon really is about...it's about not moving for maybe days or moving slowly in total cover without taking any action yourself, just reporting back to TOC. Nothing to do with all the guys you se online in Ghillies or with .50cal. in CQC (where they fail)

Edited by Beagle

Of course, if someone wanted to go for that level of realism they might as well turn the game into an role playing game where you go to boot camp and do repeated push ups to build strength and embark on five mile marches to increase endurance. I think the first flash point found an excellent middle ground with missions like the one where you have to assassinate the three officers and the one where you ambush a convoy and take the town. Are there any missions like this in Arma? I haven't had a chance to play the campaign (my computer can't run the game) and have only played the multiplayer at a friends house a few times.

Of course, if someone wanted to go for that level of realism they might as well turn the game into an role playing game where you go to boot camp and do repeated push ups to build strength and embark on five mile marches to increase endurance. I think the first flash point found an excellent middle ground with missions like the one where you have to assassinate the three officers and the one where you ambush a convoy and take the town. Are there any missions like this in Arma? I haven't had a chance to play the campaign (my computer can't run the game) and have only played the multiplayer at a friends house a few times.
Yes, such missions exist, most of them are single missions. The campaigns evolve more around covered SF-actions and general large scale warfare spanning the whole map. BAF and PMC campaigns offer something more off the usual path.

GRAW 2 drove me mad with the idiotic AI team members whose every move had to be micromanaged. Blade of grass blocking my view...can't shoot.

MP was a complete joke. Aimbotters vs. Triggerbotters and a few decent players caught in the crossfire.

I chucked that game in the garbage and just kept the case.