Sign in to follow this  

Us army to release first person shooter

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ May 23 2002,00:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">all countries try to make joining look favorable, all countries do it, the US army just has the money to do it better, so get off your fucking highhorse.<span id='postcolor'>

No need to get upset wobble. I wasn't criticizing the US specifically. Just as you say all countries do it. Well, not really, in most European countries for instance they force us to do military service, which is worse I suppose.

I think that it is appaling, no matter what country does it. Tricking kids into joining the military with this sort of thing is not very nice. If you want to join the military you should get information about what it is really like, and not a computer game.

But, hey, I'm not complaining. I'm getting a free game smile.gif

ITS A ROLE PLAYING GAME!!!!

fuck!

This story drives a Movie Generation System that assembles and plays video and audio. SOLDIERS is like a combination of a movie and a simulation game: you can watch and hear the results of decisions that you make for your character.

The steps for playing SOLDIERS are few and simple and the first step is character creation. Just as in many popular role-playing games, SOLDIERS allows you to create your own character. You can do this by first selecting your actor, a graphical representation of what you want your soldier to look like. Next you select your characters' name. Finally, you select or create your soldier's personality. Your soldier's personality, or Soldier's Interior, is a combination of Values, Resources, and Goals. Once you take these steps you can begin to play your soldier.

It seems that the whole game is you making decisions for your soldier, you win when you achieve "seargnet status"

The game ends when you fail or succeed at becoming a Sergeant in the US Army

it just uses the undreal engine to generate the movies that reflect your soldier's decisions..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ May 23 2002,00:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">all countries try to make joining look favorable, all countries do it, the US army just has the money to do it better, so get off your fucking highhorse.<span id='postcolor'>

Rubbish, MOST countries have conscription and therefore don't need any of this recruitment crap. There's only a handful of countries utilizing a true proffessional army.

yer right, i guess its better for a country to just force people to fight for it, than to just try and convince them to... wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ May 23 2002,01:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yer right, i guess its better for a country to just force people to fight for it, than to just try and convince them to... wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I am not judging the wisdom of prof. army vs. conscript army, I am merely judging your ignorant generalization tounge.gifwink.gif

I guess I should have said "all counries with GOOD militaries" insted of just all countries with militaries then... wow.gif

anywho sucks that the game is totally NOT what they show it to be, they act like its an FPS like OFP.. but its more like the SIMS

Here in denmark the conscript number is far less than what is needed, so they also depend alot on volunteers. I experienced that when I went to the draft session years ago - after "walking free", they kinda clinged to my shoe and tried to lure me into contracting wow.gif But atleast they don't try to glorify the army - their brochures are fairly fact-based, even with a table showing how little they plan to pay you biggrin.gif

Are we actually allowed to shoot enemies in that game, or just friendlies, being that it was made by US Army and stuff tounge.gif

ok....this is another prime example of why US army is THE laughing stock of international military when it comes to it's indivisual selection(collectively, US is one of the best, I suppose)

1.they think they can get someone to join army with a game. considering that intelligent gamers choose OFP over other FPS, this means that if anyone decides to join Army after playing this game, he/she would have some questionable taste in judging reality.

2.Unreal engine is good, but OFP engine is better. USMC uses OFP engine, so I guess it only fits that Army uses Unreal engine, since they are not as good as USMC.

3.ppl sho play FPS games doesn't necessarily make good soldiers. players tend to be liberals, and shaping them into order-obeying soldiers is really costly.

4.thus, another army fiasco coming up!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Biff Henderson: can you spell Herzegovina?

Grunt: No sir, I'm an infantry; I can't spell<span id='postcolor'>

well um i really dont know what some of you are saying, but i dont think the military needs to make a sweet looking game like this to get people to join, most people join on their own desicion, they join for job skill, free education,ect. and i know a guy who wants to join the army simply so he can go to hawaii. and another so that he can fly, and maintain helichopters.

Being a soldier would suck.Go look up on a search engine for some vietnam pictures.I have a site where they show what happens in a war(well what the USA did to the NVA,blew them away).Nasty shit.But helicopters are cool,but it would suck to fight in a war.

--edit

I believe this forum should let us post pictures what happen in war though,because this game(all war games,where you kick butt) could seem pro-soldier,pro-war,Make war look fun.Or atleast do better in the models ,show the guts hanging out of their stomach,and head shots that look real.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ May 22 2002,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe this forum should let us post pictures what happen in war though,because this game(all war games,where you kick butt) could seem pro-soldier,pro-war,Make war look fun.Or atleast do better in the models ,show the guts hanging out of their stomach,and head shots that look real.<span id='postcolor'>

thats exactly why this is just a game though. If you dont know the diference between fantasy (OFP) and reality (Nam), you shouldnt be playing war games. this is why they DONT let us post those pics, because this isnt real. And quite frankly, knowing full well what happens in wars, having those images of brutality burned into our eyes would take all the fun out of our games.

Love how the thread has turned from the game to bashing the US mil...

what a giant fucking suprise that is eh?!

I do not know what you guys are talking about.All I hear is "America's army sucks because they would use a video game to recruit people".... where in the heck are you getting this?I think that you guys have watched "The Last Starfighter" TOO many times... the american military does NOT recruit people based on a video game...that is just plain stupid.

Yeah America may be guilty of propganda... but no one is holding a gun to your head to get you to join.heck... a few years ago,the US Department of defense was offering people money to get OUT of the military!I know this becasue my father was in the military for 25 years before he retired.I spent a great portion of my life on military bases around the world,and it was fantastic.my father fought in vietnam,and he was stationed at a 1st Air Cav. base in Korea,patrolling the DMZ.My father saw stuff that would make stephen king books look like mother goose stories... never once did he complain... becasue that was his JOB...he CHOSE to join the military,he CHOSE to fight for freedom... he CHOSE these things... becasue we live in a FREE country...

and the NEXt time you want to bash the US Military,jsut remeber ONE thing.. you wouldn't be sitting at that little PC of yours spouting off your OPINIONS if the US MIITARY had not fought and DIED for YOUR freedom to do so.

we are here looking at a GAME.... nothing more... you want conspiricy? go watch the darn X-Files...

It wasn't US Army bashing. It was in general army recruitement bashing. And the game is for recrutiement purpouses, if you don't believe me, read the mission statement on the web site. It was developed for recruitement purpouses.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and the NEXt time you want to bash the US Military,jsut remeber ONE thing.. you wouldn't be sitting at that little PC of yours spouting off your OPINIONS if the US MIITARY had not fought and DIED for YOUR freedom to do <span id='postcolor'>

Really? In what way? I live in Sweden and we have *never* recieved any US military help. On the contrary, we helped you during the revolutionary war. Sweden helped you out to kick out the British by contributing with troops. You would still be a British colony if it wasn't for instance for the French troops that saved your bacon.

That just looks like a small piece of the new R6 game. Also based on the unreal engine.

Someone must have said "Why not, lets make ground braking games in a month or two!"

I think not. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordZach @ May 23 2002,17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the children are getting restless, let's all relax and take a trip to never never land<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, you bastard tounge.gif

I am a bit ticked, I have been defending myself the whole day in another thread from people that want to misunderstand my statements, so that is why I am grumpy.

stuff them in a mail truck and send them to pixy land, see if they misunderstand that

The army is for sure getting the kind of folks it deserves with a recruiting campaign like this. biggrin.gif

I can see it now:

"Sarge we're surrounded, what do we do?!"

"Reboot Goddamnit!!!"

Soldiers will be killed when they realise that they have no aimbots IRL. .. and be very surprised when medics can't restore their health to 100% after they step on a ap mine smile.gif