Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

So is Bohemia giving up on persistant sandbox COOP campaigns?

Again animations and render-to-texture are barely more than graphics improvement.

There was nothing wrong with AA2 animations. People just cried that they can't stance-bunny-hop like in BF2 and thus get killed (like they aren't killed even more in BF2).

That's sheer ignorance. Nobody was whining for bunny hopping.

Nothing wrong with the animations themselves. It's the animation system and its inability to transition between certain animations.

Animation systems directly affect gameplay. Render-to-texture doesn't affect it as drastically but realistic 3D scopes, mirrors, and working monitors in vehicles provide a major boost to immersion.

I dont think they have any option.

I tried to complete the campaign with a friend in coop, and it just doesnt work, we ran into so many issues that the game wasnt fun any more.

That's sheer ignorance. Nobody was whining for bunny hopping.

Nothing wrong with the animations themselves. It's the animation system and its inability to transition between certain animations.

Actually there is a whole thread where people demanded stance and weapon changes to be faster. So now we switch between rifles and rocket launchers faster than in CoD or OFP RR (lol). Not mentioning insta jumping from prone to stand position even though it takes more time to go from prone into crouching stance.

Animation systems directly affect gameplay. Render-to-texture doesn't affect it as drastically but realistic 3D scopes, mirrors, and working monitors in vehicles provide a major boost to immersion.

Yes render-to-texture doesn't affect it drastically. More of an eye-candy as you've said - despite more glaring flaws in the gameplay that need to be fixed instead. Nobody promised "realistic" 3D scopes btw.

Its imho better to have a great campaign + options for SP "only" instead of getting a mixture of something that doesn't fit/work very well in SP and MP.

BIS devs hopefully fix 99% or 100% of their SP and MP mission bugs before releasing ArmA III.

Great thing is if the player has to care about his team/gear and mission time. Features like automated refill/supply of soldiers and equipment, weapons etc should be at a minimum behind enemy lines or during combat. Its boring + less demanding if you know that the next mission will start with a complete team, fully equipped and in great fighting morale....

Some nice twists during mission/campaign could be nice eg:

- player finds some evidences that his command is lying about certain things,

- that there is a spy/traitor in his team,

- he fell in love,

- the current missions or goals are only a red herring/smoke and mirrors

- some weapon systems are only early prototypes and don't work like in movies or marketing brochures or casual shooter games

Something believable and replayable with a pinch of humor (eg Monty Python).

:)

Actually there is a whole thread where people demanded stance and weapon changes to be faster. So now we switch between rifles and rocket launchers faster than in CoD or OFP RR (lol). Not mentioning insta jumping from prone to stand position even though it takes more time to go from prone into crouching stance.

To be fair, the transitions before the changes didn't always make sense either. Switching from rifle to pistol should be fast because in real life if you run out of ammo and need to switch to the pistol fast, you simple let go of the rifle, letting it hang by the sling, and pull out the pistol. Faster than reloading.

Although the speed of the transitions isn't always the problem. The problem is that you are stuck and can't move or do anything when they happen. That feeling of losing control can be frustrating, if that's addressed then most people should be happy with transition times being realistic.

I just launched the game to have a look at those transitions, they don't seem ridiculously fast to me. With the AT weapons, the game doesn't simulate having to arm them. Having that simulated by making the character switch to it in slow motion would look silly and confuse players.

I've never played a single OFP/ArmA campaign all of the way through. Their difficulty always reminds me of the Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear campaigns. I could never get past the stealth missions or the simul-execution objectives.

If they make a single-player campaign more "Actiony", that would be just fine with me. Too often I turn to the Multiplayer or the Mission Editor to get my satisfaction.

2-Player Coop was a Gears of War limitation passing itself off as an innovation. After my anger abated, I could be amused by the WOW-factor of 4-Player Coop being advertised as an improvement over 2-Player. It was like nobody remembered the days of large-scale coop in R6/RS and OFP or 50-player adversarial on dial-up in Delta Force 2.

Less bugs makes Papa happy. I've only got so many years of good gaming left to be wasting them on bugs.

To be fair, the transitions before the changes didn't always make sense either. Switching from rifle to pistol should be fast because in real life if you run out of ammo and need to switch to the pistol fast, you simple let go of the rifle, letting it hang by the sling, and pull out the pistol. Faster than reloading.

Who is talking about the pistol?

The problem is that you are stuck and can't move or do anything when they happen. That feeling of losing control can be frustrating, if that's addressed then most people should be happy with transition times being realistic.

You mean like switching weapons on the run? If BIS will implement you tripping and falling down every time you go for your AT launcher - then by all means.

I just launched the game to have a look at those transitions, they don't seem ridiculously fast to me. With the AT weapons, the game doesn't simulate having to arm them. Having that simulated by making the character switch to it in slow motion would look silly and confuse players.

So the solution is to speed it up 2 times? lol!

You don't put a rifle on your back and put Javelin into your hands in 2 seconds.

And what about adding the animation of arming the weapon instead of ruining the system further?

Who is talking about the pistol?

You talked about animations. That is an animation.

You mean like switching weapons on the run? If BIS will implement you tripping and falling down every time you go for your AT launcher - then by all means.

Oh please, while obviously you can't sprint while getting an AT4 ready, you can sure as hell switch between a pistol and rifle when walking in real life.

Your legs don't freeze up in real life every time you do something with your weapons, and in a desperate situation you can stop what your doing if you need to move quickly.

So the solution is to speed it up 2 times? lol!

You don't put a rifle on your back and put Javelin into your hands in 2 seconds.

I never said that. I can't take you seriously if you're going to put words in my mouth.

In real life it's not necessary to put the rifle on your back first though...

And what about adding the animation of arming the weapon instead of ruining the system further?

That would be nice. Probably wasn't an option for ArmA 2 because of development resources.

The thing that makes CWC and RES campaign so memorable is the focus of finishing a few numbers of set mission objectives with freedom of how you plan yoir moves instead of drowning you with many objectives and combat roles that should not be your job(warfare anyone?)