Sign in to follow this  
PopUpTarget

Make the helo land.

There's gotta be a simple answer to this...

When I have a helo fly to my position for pick-up. Say, for example I have a trigger "East not present" (I'm done killing for the day and it's Miller time) that has the helo fly over to my position. I have his waypoint as "Load", and mine as "Get In".

Invariably though, the helo just hovers over me. Doesn't matter what type of helo either. It just hangs about 50 feet over my head...mocking me. Once, I got tired of that and made myself an AA soldier and blew him out of the sky with a well place stinger.

So how do I make the guy actually land?

I beleive the command would be: Unitname Land "land"

try..

Just checking, have you sync. the Get In WP with the Load WP?

Sorry for asking if you already did this smile.gif

Shunt - I'll give that a try...thanks.

DestroyerX - I did do that...but still it does not land. Thanks for the suggestion though. It's always the little things one forgets.

I have had that too without apparent reason, because on other occasions it works fine the same way.

I have noticed that when i had probs with units not doing what i wanted them to do removing that unit and his wp's and then putting all the stuff back helps in most of the times.

Try removing the chopper and his wp's and doing it again.

Also i have noticed that when you start out with an empty chopper and pilot next to it, i never had probs with a chopper not landing.

Also possible is that there are objects ( trees, tents, houses ) are too close to LZ ( it might look like 3 choppers will fit between them ) but AI still thinks it s too little place to land.

Normaly when you synced the getin and load it should work fine.

Try the things above, one should work fine.

I have made a demo mission on that issue.

It uses no sync but commands that make the helo land and wait till the player is onbord. Then it procceeds. If anyone needs tell me.

But I want to extend the thing. I want to have the helo pick me up anywhere on the map by radio call. This should work with the getpos thing. But it´s pretty hard to get the helo down at my location. Hover hover, and away.

Any ideas on that ?

If you use that WP thing, and not the radio-call system,

which would be cool, have you tried to put an "Invisible

H" near the LOAD waypoint?

"Invisible H"? I'll give that a try.

I've tried deleting the WP, and the helo and starting over. I've tried a "Get Out" WP right next to the "Load" WP, and that makes the thing land, but the crew shuts down, jump out and run away. They must belong to a pilots union...

I also tried a plain old "Move" WP, but that had no effect.

I tried the "Land" command, but I can't make it work. I need some remedial instruction on that one.

What this thing needs a "Land-and-wait-until-everyone-gets-aboard-and-then-take-off" WP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PopUpTarget @ May 22 2002,14:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Invisible H"? I'll give that a try.

I've tried deleting the WP, and the helo and starting over. I've tried a "Get Out" WP right next to the "Load" WP, and that makes the thing land, but the crew shuts down, jump out and run away. They must belong to a pilots union...

I also tried a plain old "Move" WP, but that had no effect.

I tried the "Land" command, but I can't make it work. I need some remedial instruction on that one.

What this thing needs a "Land-and-wait-until-everyone-gets-aboard-and-then-take-off" WP.<span id='postcolor'>

Normaly the cargo ( your group ) and chopper/pilot are NOT the same group !

What happens is the officer will jump out and you must manualy give the command to disembark at the rest of you squad.

When fully AI they will do it with the whole squad.

Make sure you sync the "TRANSPORT UNLOAD" and the "GETOUT" wp.

Transport Unload is the ONLY command that will work !!

And did you check the other stuff i mentioned ?  confused.gif

Anyway hope this works  smile.gif

It ALWAYS works for me. But i always use an empty chopper with pilot starting next to it.

I m busy with a mission now where 1 pilot/chopper has to dropoff/pickup a squad more then 5 time, and i have got no probs with any !

Just to be sure :

Boarding chopper => Squad : "getin" => chopper : "load"

Inserting at LZ : => squad : "getout" => chopper :"transport unload"

And sync the two so he waits untill all are out.

I wonder if that's my problem.

The scenario is this...I'm all alone on the desert island. I have the helo out off the caost in "Flying" mode. I have the Load WP to my location and a GetIn WP in the same place, and synchronized together. However, it's just me to pick up. No "unit" per se. The helo is aleady flying. Maybe I need to start it off on the ground somewhere?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PopUpTarget @ May 22 2002,15:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I tried the "Land" command, but I can't make it work. I need some remedial instruction on that one.<span id='postcolor'>

I have a mission where I used the landing stuff and I got it work. This is hard to explain. They land script you already tried is blocked in your case because the helicopter is moving when the script activates. In order to get it work it must be still. Do the following:

Switch the helo's landing waypoint's type to MOVE.

Then put this in the landing waypoint's on activation: WaitToStop=true.

Then add a new trigger and Put in there:

Condition: WaitToStop and (speed helo)<1

On Activation: helo land "land"

This trigger means that once the helo is in the landing destonation (WaitToStop) it waits that the helo is almost still ((speed helo)<1) and then activates the script that makes the helo land.

Then add a new waypoint after the landing one. Synchronize this one with the players GET IN waypoint.

Now it should work! Just tell me if it doesn't. smile.gif

Hmmm...this looks promising. I will try it.

I have a couple great mission ideas, but getting the helo to land is crucial. I hate sending a truck for the pickup...

I spent I don't know how long trying to figure this one out. This is a rehash of what some others have said but here is my spin:

I had to do all 3 for the chopper to land and have the troops get in:

1) GET IN waypoint for unit or group where they will board chopper

2) TRANSPORT LOAD in chopper's waypoint near above waypoint

3) put choppername LAND "land" in a box in the above waypoint box somewhere

It was case sensitive. I tried choppername land "LAND", and it would not work

Okay King...I owe you a beer. You're technique works great getting the helo to land and stay down until everyone gets aboard. As a very slight clarification to everyone, the trigger King refers to is placed over your landing zone. Make it large enough so that the helo will fly through it (I made mine a 50 m by 50m circle). You don't have to sync the trigger with anything either.

I saved a small example of doing it as a mission so I can go back and refer to it in the future.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PopUpTarget @ May 23 2002,14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Okay King...I owe you a beer. You're technique works great getting the helo to land and stay down until everyone gets aboard. As a very slight clarification to everyone, the trigger King refers to is placed over your landing zone. Make it large enough so that the helo will fly through it (I made mine a 50 m by 50m circle). You don't have to sync the trigger with anything either.

I saved a small example of doing it as a mission so I can go back and refer to it in the future.<span id='postcolor'>

Errr, there is only 1 trigger to be placed and the size of it doesn't matter. I ment that you do two waypoints for the helo to the landing spot. The first one activates the WaitToStop variable and the other WAYPOINT is synchronized with the players get in waypoint waiting the chopper to land and load the passengers. How did you do this?

Here's exactly how I did it:

I put the helo off in the distance (this whole thing was tested on the desert island...no obstructions) waiting on the ground, crew inside. I named the helo Dustoff1.

Then I created a "Move" WP from the helo to a spot near my position. In the On Activation box I put WaitToStop=true.

Then I added a trigger over the desired landing zone. In the Condition box I put "WaitToStop and (speed Dustoff1)<1". Exactly like I show it here, without quotes though.

In the On Activation box of the trigger I put

Dustoff1 land "land". Again, exactly as shown.

Then I added one more WP from the Move WP. This time I made it a "Load" WP. I placed almost exactly in the same spot as the Move WP. I made a Get In WP from me to near the Load WP and synched those two together.

From the Load WP I created another Move WP to a spot off in the distance (this was to see if the helo would take off and go somewhere after I boarded...it did).

The helo lifts off, flys over to me, goes into a hover, and then settles down onto the ground and shuts down. I get on, the helo cranks up and flys off to the next WP.

Beautiful.

This method worked for me also, and is the only one of the mentioned methods that worked for me, though the problem with this method is that the chopper does shut down.

Is there a method that works that doesn't have the chopper shut down, and I would prefer one that doesn't use a scipt. I could write a script to do it, but would prefer not to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PopUpTarget @ May 23 2002,21:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The helo lifts off, flys over to me, goes into a hover, and then settles down onto the ground and shuts down. I get on, the helo cranks up and flys off to the next WP.

Beautiful.<span id='postcolor'>

By the way I made a mission where I used this thing and it worked with the first trying.

But do you want to add some professional touch in it? Select the players GET IN waypoint and add a script in the on activation:

helo lock true; player moveincargo helo

this locks the helo's "doors" so that the player wouldn't spoil the atmosphere by jumping out of the plane and still the game ends with a "success" outcome smile.gif if you have done it this way. player moveincargo helo just makes sure that you are in the chopper after it locks up.

The other thing that you can do is to write "getin" instead of "land" in the script helo land "land". Then the pilot won't shut the engines while waiting for you to hop in after it has landed. I did like this in my mission and it looks cooler wink.gif. There is also "getout" but I don't know what's the difference between it and "getin".

EDIT: Amos m, do the same thing I said to PopUpTraget if you don't want the chopper to shut down the engines.

King...I'll try the "getin" , instead of "land".

I have the idea for a mission where my SpecOp guy (me) runs into an ambush and has to run like the wind to an LZ...hoping, praying that the chopper will come rescue me. Later, I return with back-up and kick some ass.

Having the chopper shut it's engines down while I have an angry pack of bad guys on my ass would be somewhat inconvenient.

I tried the "getin" instead of "land", and it didn't work for me. The chopper still shuts down.

Also, the last few times I've tried this method I've gotten varied results. Sometimes the chopper will touch down and shutdown. Other results are that the chopper will touch down, and as soon as it does touch the ground it will take off again towards it's next waypoint. Sometimes it will do the same again, except as soon as it takes off again it shuts down and lands on the ground.

I'm going to try and find a way to make this work, but if anyone figures it out, please let us know.

That's wierd, I tried it and it touches down and let the engines on... Have you tried different kinds od landing grounds if they have any effect on it? Or have you tried the "getout" command? If they doesn't work then I don't know.

I have found that the only way that works every time is to make the heli land on a invisible H, and when the heli is 3 meters above the ground eject everyone then teleport them to a circle on the ground. Then teleport the heli to the corner of the map, and replace it with another with the same pos and dir. This is to prevent the heli from trying to land completely. Probably the only way that works every time.

Example mission

Changing "land" to "getin" shuts the engines down for me as well. Doesn't seem to matter which one I use.

I've also discovered that sometimes the helo never starts up and takes off to the next waypoint after I board. It just sits there like the crew is on a break or something. At one point I got so frustrated I got out, shot the pilot and took over the helo myself.

Ok I followed all of the tips on this post and everything works well except like many others here the helo turns off engines if it takes too long to load. I tried it with only a few soldiers loading and I was able to load and move to next waypoint without engines turning off. However when I tried to load 10 or 12 soldiers the helo turned off engines before everyone was loaded. Is there maybe a way to use a script to increase the load time?

From memory it's "get in" not "getin".