Sign in to follow this  
DerKonig

AI CQB Idea

Hi, new to the BIS Forums, been on Armaholic for a while, but just got on here when I heard about A3.

Anyway, I've been reading some discussion on AI improvements and CQB actions, and I was wondering whether or not this would work.

My idea is that, since BIS knows what different structures they arm putting on the island, and that there are a limited number of different structures, they can implant a standard AI script for AI to enter and clear the building based on what building type it is, what entrance is used, how many AI are in the group clearing the building, and so on. This could prevent the debacles that usually result in ordering your AI teammates to clear a structure, and make the game smoother, if not too repetitive.

Would this present problems that I haven't thought of? Would it be too COD-ish with the scripted movements and such? Too repititive?

Discuss. :)

I figure a problem will arise when the modders start designing their own buildings that were not pre-scripted into the AI.

Nice idea though.

I would love for the AI to actually dynamically breach and clear each building without the need for special scriptwork under the hood.

All buildings have had "positions" inside ever since OFP, which would -theoretically- allow them to work trough the positions one by one in a pre-planned manner to clear the house. I don´t know why this hasn´t been implemented yet... probably because telling the AI when and how to do this is complicated or even impossible?

Anyway, CQB with the AI, since the latest patch, has actually been decent. The only thing that -really- is lacking is coordination, carefulness and yes, the lack of their abillity to work inside of buildings.

A solution to this deficiency, in any shape or form, would be very much welcomed by me.

I hadn't even though of the positions before, which is right, if we've had building positions for a while... then this isn't that big of a jump, or at least a slightly smaller one.

And yes, after market content would present a problem I presume... would it be difficult to script your own custom scripts for AI movements inside your custom structure? Hmmm...

The magic of BIS games is in a huge part based around nothing being ever on rails. The same bit can go differently in every mission every time.

Scripting AIs in buildings will make players quickly learn their moves and AI will immediately lose any authentic look.

In scripted corridor shooters you run through the same corridor once and the game becomes forgotten a few hours after you complete it.

In ArmA you can easily play for hundreds of hours f.e. in coop - imagine how artificial CQB will look.

So I'd rather have a not too effective but dynamic AI in buildings instead of automatically predicting its every move.

The problem here though is that AIs don't have even a basic building clearing routine. They can't even enter the building the enemy is in - not that they are ineffective in buildings

I would like to see this fixed first.

Dynamic AI in buildings would be great, a mixture of interactions - I agree a script might make it same old. They lean against walls etc as of now and it needs work, especially when you see them leaning against a pole that covers nothing but their arm lol.

Maybe if they actually moved dynamically clearing rooms it would be cool. Clipping must be fixed for this.

Using grenades effectively also would not be a bad idea. I also hope they have better voice actors and phrases to say, like 'Clear' in a CQB environment.

In ARMA2 sometimes the AI in a room won't shoot you even he sees you, and till many seconds past they just fire. The most thing they do is aiming and aiming although you are meters far from him. I don't know what the AI is thinking. Why they can find me and shoot me easily from hundreds far away, but they can't quickly fire in a room?

What's more, In missions of ARMA2 the author in order to ensure you encounter a room CQB, he must stick the AI at a specific position, which also restricts the AI's space of activity.

And the next, you can't easily order your AI subordinaters to follow you in a CQB in a complex building. They either won't go up or down stairs, or will be a target for enemy AI.

The grenade is a problem too. they can penetrate the floor and drop to the downstairs!

As a result the CQB in ARMA2 is very stiff and boring.

I hope these bugs and bad performance can be resolved in ARMA3...

I think the secret lies in creating a seperate waypoint system for infantry AI. You could add a waypoint on a building for a infantry squad and the unit automatically uses proper room clearing techniques. The units should be able to adjust to any enemy contact while inside or if it comes from outside.

I think the best course of action would be for BIS to revamp and expand the infantry system. The units need to be more dynamic and have a multitude of tactical actions. I love using the AI extensively for creating missions and I would just like for the units to be able to assault buildings and other structures tactically on their own and a seperate waypoint system and a enhancement in infantry actions would solve the problem.

I don't think it would be difficult for the devs to create a built-in CQB system for all infantry squads. They should either just clear or use flashbangs or grenades when entering the building and it should be automatic for them, but can also be tweaked by the mission creator using the seperate infantry waypoint system for specific actions during the assault.

I honestly believe that this is the biggest and most important upgrade that BIS needs to address. Making the infantry AI more dynamic would be huge.

Windows need to be individual objects and possibly doorways.

Don't know if possible but I'd love for there to be some sort of AI mesh that encompasses areas such as a house. When within that mesh, different behaviours would go into effect. Probably dreaming but I like sleep :)

Check out the way Dynamic AI in CQB areas work in Half Life and work from that. Basically mark obstacles and area of free movements and create a AI that can deal with the environment and there is no reason ArmA 3 cannot have efficient CQB game play.

Check out the way Dynamic AI in CQB areas work in Half Life and work from that. Basically mark obstacles and area of free movements and create a AI that can deal with the environment and there is no reason ArmA 3 cannot have efficient CQB game play.

Except that in a game with the scale of ArmA3 marking area's and objects will take forever, especially when objects can move/be destroyed. I am not even sure why its called 'Dynamic AI' if you need to manually point out where it can and cannot go. :p

My understanding of the way games are coded is non existant, but there is a programme I have used called Ecotect, which is used to model the thermal performance of buildings.

The way this works is you create the 3d model and then in Ecotect you draw 2d boxes over the various surfaces, designating their type and mass etc, which then provides the programme with the information neede to asses the whole building.

This got me thinking that perhaps solid surfaces in game could be assigned a definition in this way, which in turn provides information to the AI as to how they need to, or can respond to that surface. A wall can provide cover, a window can be fired through, a door must be apporached from the side and the room beyond it cleared and so on...

Perhaps something like this may be the ideal compromise between a fully scripted clearance and what we have now. It would also make it easy for addon makers to incorporate their work into the game's mechanics. That's if it's even pheasible of course.