Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Body armor in ofp

Would it be possible to create units wearing body armor in OFP with Oxygen and other tools?

A system where the unit wearing body armor has restricted mobility (maybe even limited carrying capacity), but takes reduced damage from smalls arms fires and fragmentation.

I know it sounds like it's more suited to games like Rainbow Six, but I think it could be workable in OFP (if it's even possible of course).

Does anyone from the military know what type (if any) of body armor is emplyed in the armed services? (USSoldier11B, Denoir ?)

Body Armor

Anyway, give me some feedback...stupid idea or what?

your an idiot tounge.gif

and it doesnt have much use to have body armor against 5.56 or 7.62 caliber does it ;-)

One doesnt wear body armor like this R6 stuff but in a modern army almost everyone got a anti-fragment-vest (hehe,bad translation "Splitterschutzweste"...).

Real body armor would be quite useless because suitable body armor will be penetrated by rifle ammo and only withstand pistol ammo.So it would help against MP5 and Bizon but not against AKs and M16 and stuff...

Thats my opionion...

grrrrrreetz

[76]Chavez

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Speeeedy @ May 20 2002,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and it doesnt have much use to have body armor against 5.56 or 7.62 caliber does it ;-)<span id='postcolor'>

Well the plate will stop the bullet of both caliber at ranges above 100 meters (maybe also less) but the impact on the plate have a 95% chance of giving you internal bleedings.

This is on a modern frag west and not normal body armor

a simple plate does not stop an Caliber 7.62. You need an hell of plate to stop that and dont ask the weight of that and the limitations of movement it brings

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ May 20 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would it be possible to create units wearing body armor in OFP with Oxygen and other tools?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but the unit wouldnt get any extra armor or run any slower tounge.gif

Someone has made a T800( terminator) skin which appears to use armour but I'm not sure how its done.

i think the t800 skin is actually a vehicle, that is based on a person, so it does everything a person does apart from the fact that it has armour instead of health. Normal soldier health (as far as i no) cannot b edited, although there is a script somewhere making a 'strongman' unit who can take alot of kicking, maybe thats how the T800 unit is done. Go to OPF Center to find more about the script

Yes, large calibre rifle rounds are going to punch through most light body armor, but remember there are pistol-round-firing weapons in OFP too (MP5, Bizon). maybe more with people's addons, and there are some "urban warfare" mods in the pipeline where body armor could be really useful.

Anyway:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Type IV (armor-piercing rifle). This armor protects against .30–06 caliber armor-piercing bullets (US military designation APM2), with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr.) impacting at a velocity of 868 m/s (2,850 ft/s) or less. It also provides at least single-hit protection against the Type I through III threats. <span id='postcolor'>

But that stuff is really bulky.

Kegetys, you sure there is no way to include armor in a unit? What sorts of stats do men have? If there is a hit capacity stat, you could bump that up a little...and to simulate encumbrance, restrict the amount of other gear he can carry, like a sniper.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well the plate will stop the bullet of both caliber at ranges above 100 meters (maybe also less) but the impact on the plate have a 95% chance of giving you internal bleedings.

<span id='postcolor'>

Having seen a video of someone wearing body armor with ceramic plates shot with a FAL at a range of about ten feet with no effect other than a dent in the armor I'd have to disagree with the latter claim; it's possible it was a rigged demo with low-powered ammo, but I don't have any reason to believe that.

However, either way I can't see many soldiers wanting to wear something that heavy and bulky rather than just not get shot in the first place.

There is noway you going to wear an Type 4 body armour in the battlefield

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Speeeedy @ May 20 2002,15:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a simple plate does not stop an Caliber 7.62. You need an hell of plate to stop that and dont ask the weight of that and the limitations of movement it brings<span id='postcolor'>

The one i had on in bosnia was tested with both 5.56 and 7.62 and stopped both. But as i said above theres a very big chance you will get internal bleedings from the impact of the bullet.

Ok allthought im not sure how great this idea is i will tell you about body armor. Now the standard troops wear what we call a Pasgt Flack vest, this vest is designed only to stop shell fragments you would be very lucky (50%) if it sttoped a 9mm round. Then there is ranger body armor(rba) this is issued to many more specialized units now the vest itself should be able to stop most pistol rounds alone, but with the front and back plates inserted it will stop an 7.62 mm round but remember these plates only cover a small area of the vest and you can still get shot through the vest by a rifle shot to the sides or anywhere the plates arent covering, there is also similair versions to the rba which are black and used by seals and delta.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrLaggy @ May 20 2002,16:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Having seen a video of someone wearing body armor with ceramic plates shot with a FAL at a range of about ten feet with no effect other than a dent in the armor I'd have to disagree with the latter claim; it's possible it was a rigged demo with low-powered ammo, but I don't have any reason to believe that.<span id='postcolor'>

The one i myself had was 25x25x1.5cm ( is inserted into a fragmentation vest that will stop grenade shrapnels and to some extend pistol rounds) the plate was a little curved and when hit it would make a mark around 2.5cm in diameter on the impact side and move the backside of the impact area 0.3-0.5cm out. They tested it on pigs  smile.gif  smile.gif and most of them would have some kind of internal bleeding.

Tenderized ham.

OK, but is it possible to adjust unit settings to simulate body armor at all? I know Kegetys answered no, but does anyone else know a way around it?

Remember, you would have to increase the armor just in the body hit zone,not head and limbs...

I didn't read most of the replies:

Just increase the health of the unit:

armor=1;

armorStructural=1.000000;

armorHead=1.000000;

armorBody=1.000000;

armorHands=1.000000;

armorLegs=1.000000;

Body armor might go a long way in saving your life if you've been shot....but more than likely you won't be in any condition to continue serious fighting afterwords.

In rainbow 6 it made a bit more sense, because your men could be incapacitated OR outright killed.....if they wore stronger armor, chances were they'd still go down after taking a round, but they'd most likely live and be availble for you to use in the next mission.

As for Flashpoint, think of it this way....Sometimes you CAN take more than one round to the torso area....so it's quite possible that the soliders ARE considered to be wearing armor. Since OFP doesn't model incapacitating wounds...we'll never know wow.gif

Vor.

I hate to base another thing on Black Hawk Down, but it's the book this time, but some of the soldiers were injured more by deciding not to wear armor plates in the back but they wore them in the front. The bullets entered their backs and richochet off the plate in the front causing more damage. True fact, Im sure they were shot with some sort of AK .I dont give a shit about what the super ionic trajectory magnosphere book told you. Most of the people that read that shit and come here and post all this meaningless crap havent even shot a gun. I cant say ive ever shot an ak-47 at a steel plate myself. But go by what vets say atleast, that is what really happens and the statistics are crap.

I've made my own version of "Desert OFP's 82nd Airbourne Rangers", and have given them Kevlar Body armour. In most cases in OFP you can survive a hit in the torso from an AK74, without taking a wound.

Now while it may not b 100% realistic it dose come in handy in those engagements with Iraqis smile.gif

If any one should want a copy just email me from my site steeles-ofp-armoury.com

Yes, the average soldier on an operation with a Western army will usually wear body armour.

The plates we use in the Canadian Armed Forces will stop multiple 5.56 NATO AP rounds at point blank range. It will stop 7.62 NATO AP rounds from distances of 250m or greater.

Canadian Forces body armour.

HTH.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ May 20 2002,16:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The one i myself had was 25x25x1.5cm ( is inserted into a fragmentation vest that will stop grenade shrapnels and to some extend pistol rounds) the plate was a little curved and when hit it would make a mark around 2.5cm in diameter on the impact side and move the backside of the impact area 0.3-0.5cm out. They tested it on pigs  smile.gif  smile.gif and most of them would have some kind of internal bleeding.<span id='postcolor'>

That's what trauma plates are for. A well designed Type-IV vest has a trauma plate to help absorb the impact. To end this arguement, soldiers CAN and DO wear this type of body armor. The Ranger vests someone mentioned were used successfully in Somalia where they did indeed stop bullets and saved lives. More recently during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan on the CBS news they had a story on this same body armor used by the 10th Mountain Div. troops. One of the soldiers they interviewed had his vest stop a bullet that probably would have killed him otherwise. My main point is that well designed Type-IV vests work and are used in the real world.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

tounge.gif

Hehe i remember seeing a documentary about the russian Spetznaz on BBC and some guy told about his time with the spetznaz (sp??) sometime around '79 or something and they were forced to train with their really heavy&bulky titanium wests they used sometimes. But those were pretty tough for sure.

And i have a hard time believing that an extra vest will help you much in the modern war where you face enemy armed with rapid fire medium calibe weapons such as AK-74s and M-16s. And in ofp if i shoot someone and he doesnt drop dead i just shoot hime again, and again, and again until he does. tounge.gif