Sign in to follow this  
puzzola

Can I have two version of Arma2?

Hi, sorry for posting in two section.

Does anyone know if I can have 2 Arma2 version installed.

I would like 1.09 patch without overwriting my installation.

Can I install again the game in another folder?

What with registry keys and config files?

Can I instead copy all the folder and files elsewhere and patch this copy.

Please help me because I'm stuck with 1.05 having bugs and some performance drop with 1.08 and 1.07.

Thank you.

Edited by puzzola

Hello,

What do you need 2 versions for?

You can run multiple games at the same time with 1 version.

What?

Can I start the same Arma2 installation as 1.05 or 1.09?

How?

ok a bit puzzling...

Do you want to run 1 version of the game at 1.05 and another version of the game at 1.09?

If so, begs the question why?

Have you got half way through a campaign or something?

Hi, thank you for answering.

I have ArmA2 from the release and spent so much time to set it to run properly that I won't ruin it.

I started playing it with satisfaction only in January.

When I tried patch 1.07 and 1.08 I had some bug and loss in performance and had to reinstall to 1.05.

So I would like to try 1.09 without overwriting my present installation.

And then, I hate the loss of tank recoil and dust effect, but for some reason no one can tell me if BIS solved the issue.

Copy the a2 folder to have it twice and apply the patch now to your original a2 folder.

Copy the a2 folder to have it twice and apply the patch now to your original a2 folder.

And so, if I don't like 1.09, can I cancel 1.09 folders and copy again 1.05 Pbos?

Have I to change some other file like arma.exe, armaconfig or other to have 1.05 working again?

Thank you very much

Although I couldn't say for sure (because I have never tried it) I expect you can do it this way:

Copy your 1.05 install to a new location and rename it to something appropriate. Then copy it back so that you have two installs side by side, one folder might be called "Bohemia Interactive" and the other folder "Bohemia Interactive 105".

Then patch the game to 1.09.

Playing the game at this stage will give you your 109 gameplay.

Now, if you wish to play the other version, first rename the "Bohemia Interactive" folder to "Bohemia Interactive 109", and rename the "Bohemia Interactive 105" folder to "Bohemia Interactive".

Now you can play the game patched to 1.05. So each time you wish to change games, you just rename the folders. Always rename the "Bohemia Interactive" folder first.

*edit*

And, just to be on the safe side, do the same with the ArmA2 folder in your My Documents location.

Edited by DMarkwick

Although I couldn't say for sure (because I have never tried it) I expect you can do it this way:

Copy your 1.05 install to a new location and rename it to something appropriate. Then copy it back so that you have two installs side by side, one folder might be called "Bohemia Interactive" and the other folder "Bohemia Interactive 105".

Now, if you wish to play the other version, first rename the "Bohemia Interactive" folder to "Bohemia Interactive 109", and rename the "Bohemia Interactive 105" folder to "Bohemia Interactive".

Now you can play the game patched to 1.05. So each time you wish to change games, you just rename the folders. Always rename the "Bohemia Interactive" folder first.

*edit*

And, just to be on the safe side, do the same with the ArmA2 folder in your My Documents location.

Sounds good.

I'll try and let you know.

Thank you all.

To avoid the need to duplicate the community addons/mods you can use Virtual_folders_and_files.

Interesting, I downloaded it now, but it seams a little complex.

Maybe all the documentation is for other fuctions.

But I use a launcher so I can create a path to use the Mod folder I have yet, right?

Edited by puzzola

@ PUZZOLA you have a good point in keeping a version that runs ok for you. I also updated to the new patch and despite reading the "readme" the performance i got was bad. Every machine is different so the readme can't tell you how it will run on your machine. I had to uninstall and reinstall every thing including PMC and BAF and go back to the version that was ok for my machine:mad:. Let us know if you manage to install two versions and be able to run one on the same PC

*edit*

I tried, now from "Arma Launcher" I can launch a version or the other.

Not made performance test yet, but the tank recoil and dust cloud is still missing.

Stay tuned ;)

Made the first tests.

1.05 and 1.09 seams very similar in performance.

Need some more test but maybe 1.09 have little less FPS but load a little faster.

In 1.09 there are different shouts when reloading or throwing granades, fixed wing fly better but tanks don't recoil and don't have dust cloud when firing with the main cannon.

Tanks are firmer when turning at speed.

Some minor features better in 1.09 in menus.

And about Xp32 bit or 7 64 bit, the grafic is better in 7.

More light effect on surfaces, brighter colors.

On 7 the game and maps load faster.

Edited by puzzola

Made some bench.

In all 1.09 gives me some FPS more.

I benched with stock Arma2 Bench mission, with ArmaMark 2.0 and with some missions made by myself on Chernarus.

All with the same Armaconfig file.

I gained about 4 FPS in most situations from 20 to 24 with gain in lowest and highest FPS.

It's seams faster to load the game and the textures too.

Only features worst in the absence of dust clouds around tanks when firing with the main gun and the realignement of the rifles after all shot (but this is more realisic).