Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

How to patrol in waist high grass / scrub?

My Private Military Company has been patrolling on the Proving Ground map.

What an atmospheric map this is!

This map is covered in waist high scrub.

I have done hiking through this type of scrub below the peak of Mt Cloudmaker so i am familair with the feeling.

When we spot the enemy it is normal to go prone. But when we do so, we can no longer spot the enemy.

So, I have my team crawl 10 meters to the side, then all together change to crouch so we can see and fire on the enemy.

However, it takes a few seconds to obtain a target and in those few seconds the enemy fires and we are history.

How to patrol and fight in waist high grass / scrub ?

-

lower the AI difficulty, so they don´t murder u right away

I think if you and your team would also go prone and then crawl to a new position and then stay crouched it might help. The AI will eventually get tired of crawling or laying down and not knowing where you are and either go crouched or standing and then begin moving to a new spot, that's when you engage them.

Carefully and methodically. Just like everywhere else.

Making periodic stops (dropping prone) and just listening for sounds is equally good practice. If you are having problems spotting enemies yourself tell one of your AI to 'advance' (Fx-1-2) in front of the rest of the squad and act as a pointman.

The distance and speed which the AI targets enemies is related to the weapon he carries. An assaultrifle with a scope is usually ideal.

-k

Line formation, kneel down, stealth mode and watch the direction of the enemy. If you dont know where the enemy is use scan horizon. Once in a while, or if you have a big squad, tell one team to stop while the other one continues with you. Then return them to formation.

Another tactic I like to use in hard to see maps, jungle etc, with infantry is to have my squad separated into three teams. Team one is one or two guys set in stealth, scan horizon and advance, team two is the main team in aware and line formation with me and the third team is the medics in stay back. Once in contact, since its usually close range, I order everyone to prone, stop and if I know the direction I tell them to watch it. ("Contact front" etc using voice commands).

The rest usually gets sorted without to much input.

Kneel and wait for the enemy. 99% of the time, if the other man doesn't know where you are, he will move first.

Throw grenades? Or leave a satchel at your position and crawl back, wait till you see them moving again and blow it.