Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

How much is to much AI to run ARMA2 right!

How much is to much AI in a mission to allow ARMA2 to run right for most players. I have a high End PC not the best but very good. Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge, 8 GB of ram at 1600, powercolor 6950 vid card.

I am currently working on a large scale Invasion mission that is 80% done with the general setup and structure. The mission has only one way to win, two ways to lose and 7 objectives. I am currently using 10 scripts one being the ability to turn off all the lights before the main Assault.

You are a part of a group that has two teams of 6 man.

Your support with AI units are:

20 armor Vehicles

102 foot soldiers

76 paratroopers

3 C1 130

12 planes

9 helicopters

OPfor units are:

120 foot soldiers however around 20% Respawn back 4 times

60 armor Vehicles

4 planes

6 helicopters

All the bluefor units spawn in from triggers you need to set off via phone

1/2 of the OPFOR units will spawn as well with triggers.

the 50% that are on the map only 25% use wayponts in a loop the rest are set for guard waypoint (the best waypoint in the world).

The mission aslo has around 20 empty Vehicles and some static weapon systems for use as well as multiple weapon/ammo locations and three health areas for full healing.

The mission runs great for me and when testing it out last night with four friends one was getting lag. We where playing on my host not a Dedicated Server.

What to you guys think will this run ok on a dedicated server with 12 human players or do i need to cut back on some of the units/scripts used. Thanks for your feedback AVIBIRD.

Well post your specs, especially your CPU, and we will eventually be able to tell you if this will run well for most users. But seriously, over 300 AI? Isn´t that a bit to much?

Well I'm using a dual core for editing purpose, pretty much low end nowadays. But if a mission runs acceptable on my Dual Core then it shouldn't be a problem for a high end computer.

kind regards

Yes I was the one playing with Avibird who experienced lag. I tried to tell him that he has too many AI units for only an area of roughly 1500 meters, but he wont listen to me. I am running on a 3.5 ghz quad core processor and run a HD 6870 with 4gb of RAM and I was experiencing performance choke points within his map, specifically when there was a lot of action. Now theoretically, when its running on a dedicated server, it should be able to handle 12 players but I don't think it will run smooth at all. So yes Avibird, i know you are jealous of warfare LOL but you need to cut back a lot of your units! :cool:

Well post your specs, especially your CPU, and we will eventually be able to tell you if this will run well for most users. But seriously, over 300 AI? Isn´t that a bit to much?

I put my specs in the first few lines. Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge, 8 GB of ram at 1600, powercolor 6950 vid card and no 300 is not a bit much if you ever play one of my missions.:butbut:

PS. it was JAKE who was the lagboy lol the rest of us was fine.

Avibird, that is too many AI for a small area of only 1500 meters. Trust me.

P.S. It was only Avibird, another friend who is clueless about the game, and myself that were test playing his mission.

For singleplayer that might work if you got a decent rig. It's waaaaaay above the limits for multiplayer though. Cut it in half and.. maybe.

Yep, too many for MP.

You should look at some of the spawning enemy scripts like DAC...

You should look at some of the spawning enemy scripts like DAC...

Definitely. With a good spawning system you can give the appearance of 300+ units without the performance issues.