Sign in to follow this  
MSgt Morrison

Im new to this game. Help please

Hey gang, I just bought Arma 2 Combined Ops. There is hardly anybody online. Im running 1.09 and 1.59 for OA. Am I missing out on something or does hardly anybody play this game? Thanks.

MSgt Morrison

There are popular public servers but they won't provide quality experience for obvious reasons (everyone runs around chaoticly, lots of team kills etc). I'm sure you can find enough of these servers being populated enough if playing like that suits you.

AA2 CO is mostly a clan game due to its demanding nature, it shines when the game is organized. Now obviously clans don't play 24/7 playing at pre-set times instead. So my suggestion - find a clan that will suit your needs be it Team PvP or realistic, tactical coop. There are a lot of those around, there is a whole subforum dedicated to them and many have youtube videos showing how they play. Many also don't require for you to be 100% of the time there so you can play with multiple ones whenever you wish

Edited by metalcraze

If your not ready to commit to clan games..pub servers can be great if you link up with half-decent players on the battlefield.. won't always take a clan to get organization/good games going

Also, keep in mind a few of the pub servers are still running 1.57 instead of 1.59, which released late this march

Another week or so and you should see more 1.59 servers up and populated :cool:

depends on the day and time of day that your playing, alot of big servers are on Thursday or Friday nights

Make sure you got "Battle Eye Required" set to "Default". If it's set on "No" you might not see a great deal of the servers online

If you are running 1.59, you might not be seeing too much because a whole lot of servers still have 1.57. At the moment I've got 1.57.

There are plenty of public servers around even at 3:35 in the morning if you know where to look. I would suggest filtering for TAW and 7thCav. They're Domination servers, and the 7th Cavalry server requires you to join their TS3 channel if you want to fly helicopters for Air Traffic Control purposes. The ArmA2 server browser doesn't always work all that great for me, so I just go to servers that I know are usually well populated.

Public servers do have problems with Team Killing and other such things. Without an Admin in the server, childish people who ram helicopters with MTVR's and things like that can ruin a whole lot of gamers' experiences. Also, coordination can be a problem. The 7th Cavalry server tends to have a reasonable level of coordination and there is usually a clan member who has Admin powers around to kick the TK'ers.

A final work of advice. Do not fly helicopters until you've learned how. Compared to Battlefield, which is my background, the helicopters are considerably more difficult to fly. I remapped the keys to a Battlefield type of style instead of ArmA2's controls and practiced quite a bit in SP before moving into Multiplayer. I still made a couple of embarrassing crashes. Practicing with choppers in a populated server will make you no friends, so make sure you have an idea of what to do before you hop in one.

How did you get 1.59 though? Steam hasn't updated automatically for me.

Edited by 160thSOAR

Thanks for all the advice guys. 160th SOAR, i just went to the Arma 2 site and found a mirror server and downloaded it. 1.06 was the version that came with this game. I will be slowly learning to play the game so if anybody is a member of a clan and wants to take me in I'd appreciate it. Im a no bullshit kind of gamer that likes a serious but fun game.

Thanks for all the advice guys. 160th SOAR, i just went to the Arma 2 site and found a mirror server and downloaded it. 1.06 was the version that came with this game. I will be slowly learning to play the game so if anybody is a member of a clan and wants to take me in I'd appreciate it. Im a no bullshit kind of gamer that likes a serious but fun game.

PM Sent