Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

OA 1.59 - Frequent CTD - NVIDIA nvlddmkm error

With 1.57 and 1.58 beta patches, using default VERY HIGH video settings (including high AA), I played through A2 and OA campaigns with only rare crashes to desktop (CTD).

With last 1.59 beta patch, and now with 1.59, I am getting WAY more CTD than with 1.57 or with 1.58 beta patches. I've been playing PMC 1.01, but I assume that the problem is across all of Arma 2/OA. The crashes are due to NVIDIA error:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I assume that something in the new patch is overtaxing my GTX 295. With the very high settings I have been using, my gpu temps will run as high as 89 deg C. I have had to start messing around with my A2 video settings for many hours to maximize fps and detail while keeping gpu temps down. Does anyone else notice significant performance differences with 1.59? I'm using 266.58 driver, multi-gpu, single display, triple buffering on, all other nvidia settings default.

Here are the results of some tests with 1.59:

48 fps benchmark 8:

1680x1050

vis:=3600m

texture detail=normal

vid mem=high

AF=high

AA=low

terrain detail=normal

object detail=high

shadows=high

HDR=normal

PP=low

vsync on

48 fps benchmark 8:

1680x1050

texture detail=normal

vid mem=default

AF=high

AA=low

terrain detail=normal

object detail=high

shadows=high

HDR=normal

PP=low

vsync on

55 fps benchmark 8:

1680x1050

texture detail=normal

vid mem=default

AF=high

AA=disabled

terrain detail=normal

object detail=high

shadows=high

HDR=normal

PP=low

vsync on

The main point here is that AA is all of a sudden killing fps performance on my 295. It starts to look like any AA setting other than disabled will cause the game-killing CTD (nvlddmkm error), but I am still trying to figure things out. There has been mention of ATOC AA. What is ATOC? Is that new in 1.59? I have never touched the arma2 config file. Should I fiddle with ATOC settings in that file?

I've seen this in the 1.59 changelog:

"[77289] Improved: Vegetation rendering using AToC (require antialiasing enabled)"

I would GREATLY appreciate it someone could suggest optimal video settings for my setup if they are different from those above that I have been using. That's asking a lot, but I would be grateful. I've already checked out PvPscene's excellent video setup wiki page (http://pvpscene.net/wiki/doku.php?id=english:configure_your_game).

video resolution=

visibility=

texture detail=

vid mem=

AF=

AA=

terrain detail=

object detail=

shadows=

HDR=

PP=

vsync=

Alienware Area 51 X58

ASUS X58 P6T Deluxe motherboard with integrated sound (SoundMAX)

Core i7 940 2.93 GHz

6 GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHZ (3 x ELPIDA 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ JEDEC STANDARD PC3-1066)

NVIDIA GTX 295 (2 PCB, 896x2 MB VRAM), no overclock, Video BIOS: 62.00.4E.00.02

NVIDIA GTX 295 Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E0&SUBSYS_064E10DE&REV_A1

Win 7 Home Premium x64

Dell 2408WFP monitor, 1920x1200, 60 Hz

WESTERN DIGITAL 300GB 10,000rpm SATA HDD REV2 main hard drive

1000 watt power supply

Edited by OMAC

Try changing AToC in your config file to from "1" to "0"

Personally I'd recommend:

video resolution=1680x1050

visibility=2000m (higher if your framerates are good enough)

texture detail=High

vid mem=Default

AF=High

AA=Normal

terrain detail=Normal

object detail=Normal

shadows=High

HDR=High

PP=Low

vsync=On

Edited by domokun

There has been mention of ATOC AA. What is ATOC? Is that new in 1.59? I have never touched the arma2 config file. Should I fiddle with ATOC settings in that file?

I've seen this in the 1.59 changelog:

"[77289] Improved: Vegetation rendering using AToC (require antialiasing enabled)"

I would GREATLY appreciate it someone could suggest optimal video settings for my setup if they are different from those above that I have been using. That's asking a lot, but I would be grateful. I've already checked out PvPscene's excellent video setup wiki page (http://pvpscene.net/wiki/doku.php?id=english:configure_your_game).

what is ATOC

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1842883&postcount=9

how is it used

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1843342&postcount=83

disclaimer : I don't claim to have perfect "answers" when it comes to Arma2 performance.

my suggested settings:

video resolution= preference

3D resolution= matches video res

visibility= preference

texture detail= High

vid mem= i use default

AF= Very High

AA= Normal

terrain detail= High

object detail= High

shadows= Very High

HDR= Normal

PP= Low

vsync= Off

open Arma2OA cfg and set ATOC setting to 0 (MyDocuments)

(I DO NOT like the pixelated foliage that comes with the new ATOC setting)

my system reference (using 1.57)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1857288&postcount=6615

admittedly, I will have to update my benchmark reference for 1.59

FYI: I have read discussions here (somewhere) that dual gpu cards have some performance issues, for both Nvidia and Amd/Ati. Also, SLI > CFX.

Bangtail has some experience with this, consider messaging him for more info.

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

hi, i have some serious problems with arma 2 oa standalone since version 1.59

its not a drop of fps, but heavy graphical bugs etc... can i report them here aswell and could sb help me?

try beta 79600 was released 2 hours ago, MP compatible with 1.59

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me digest your suggestions - I'll post back.

Dirty Deeds - You've got a kick-ass system, hoss!

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

try beta 79600 was released 2 hours ago, MP compatible with 1.59

Dwarden,

Do you think I should fiddle around with ATOC and my settings, try the new beta, or both?

Thanks...

yeah i would definitely try disable the AToC just for sure

using beta should be preffered due to amount of crash fixes anyway

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me digest your suggestions - I'll post back.

Dirty Deeds - You've got a kick-ass system, hoss!

thanks. I'd like to think so, but there are some crazy computer systems built by members of this community that make mine look like a toaster. :D

you've got an Alienware computer system, and my computer is kick-ass?? LOL

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

You gave me an idea for BIS. They chould offer CUSTOM-BUILT, ARMA2-READY, ASS-KICKER computers on their web site! I mean they could at least offer a means to connect users to recommended customizers. Arma 2 requires AWESOME systems, so if a builder can demonstrate unbelievable Arma 2 performance, who wouldn't want one? I would (when my Alien craps out, of course).

Unless I can get these CTDs to go away, my 295 may be shot, eh? Time for a GTX 590!?

Thanks, Dwarden! I thought you guys would rest for a while after releasing 1.59, but you never stopped working. I guess it's rather easy to work hard when you've got the best job in the world! You guys have created a MASTERPIECE in Arma2/OA! (Just fix that script in Freedom Fighters - Ha!) The only problem with A2/OA/PMC/BAF is that they make all other shooters look like pieces of cheesy crap. Will I every enjoy another game again? If I can say that after getting brutalized by the Arma 2 campaign, you know I love this game.

Could some help me with my video settings as well?

HP Pavaillion

AMD Phenom 8400 triple core processor 2.10ghz

3.00 gb memory(RAM)

32 bit operating system

9400 geforce graphics card

266.58 driver

550mhz core clock

Thanks bravo409 out

Edited by bravo409

Thank you, PurePassion - nice system you've got!

I am trying these settings now. With them, I get 50 fps benchmark. Is 50 a good target for minimizing strain on my card while maximizing smoothness and quality?

video resolution=1680x1050

visibility=3400m

texture detail=high

vid mem=default

AF=high

AA=low (atoc=0)

terrain detail=norm

object detail=high

shadows=high

HDR=norm

PP=low

vsync=on (+threaded optimization in nvidia CP)

As per BIS suggestion to improve bloom and other PP effects:

brightness=0.8

Gamma=1.1

Does anyone see a problem with that? BTW, what is HDR, anyway?

Edited by OMAC

Dell 2408WFP monitor, 1920x1200, 60 Hz

why are you running 1680 x 1050 resolution?

dont get hung up on benchmark scores. optimize your settings, then turn off your fps counter and enjoy the game. ;)

-Ziggy-;1889690']why are you running 1680 x 1050 resolution?

dont get hung up on benchmark scores. optimize your settings' date=' then turn off your fps counter and enjoy the game. ;)[/quote']

To increase fps. Running at full 1920x1200 monitor res will further tax my card, no? I always ran Crysis at full res, but A2/OA is much harder on my system, so I'm running at a lower res so that I can keep quality high and still get good fps.

I'm not concerned about fps other than the fact that my system has been experiencing the severe CTD/nvidia errors, so I'm having to tweak things to get those problems to go away.

Thank you, PurePassion - nice system you've got!

Does anyone see a problem with that? BTW, what is HDR, anyway?

Thanks OMAC

GPU is going to be updated when the money comes ;) maybe GTX 560 Ti or

HD 6850

HDR is the Transition effect, e.g. the sunglare

Does using ATOC increase or decrease performance?

Apparently it SIGNIFICANTLY decreases performance.

I just noticed that enabling AOTC on GRASS will drop FPS by 50%+ (on my system). Then I disabled it for the grass but still on trees, and my performance wasn't nearly as bad. Use AOTC=6 if you have Combined Ops; which will enable it on trees/shrubs but not grass. Or disable it altogether ;)

Also, I updated to the Nvidia 270.51 beta drivers and saw a very significant increase in performance with AA enabled compared to the 266.xx ones.

I just noticed that enabling AOTC on GRASS will drop FPS by 50%+ (on my system). Then I disabled it for the grass but still on trees, and my performance wasn't nearly as bad. Use AOTC=6 if you have Combined Ops; which will enable it on trees/shrubs but not grass. Or disable it altogether ;)

Also, I updated to the Nvidia 270.51 beta drivers and saw a very significant increase in performance with AA enabled compared to the 266.xx ones.

Thanks for the info - I'll try using a value of 6 if my system seems stable enough. I HATE turning off cool new video effects that come with a game. That's why I bought a 295. But I have to do something to get rid of these CTDs. I just bought a compressed air blower thingy and blew the dust out of my system (again). That's great about the 270 driver, but the release notes do not mention any improvements or fixes for 200 series cards. I'll wait for the next WHQL. Now NVIDIA will be paying even less attention to the 295 now that the dual-gpu 590 is out, and they hadn't been paying much attention to it anyway since the 400 series came out.

Edit:

The CTDs have gone away (knock on wood), using settings in post #12 above, and after I blew out superfine dust from my box and card using compressed air. Using 1.59 + 79600 beta patch. Could dust cause that much havoc????? System stable and silky smooth now. Thanks all for your help!

Full-res screenshots w/fps:

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa1.bmp

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa2.bmp

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa3.bmp

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa4.bmp

Edited by OMAC

Thanks for the info - I'll try using a value of 6 if my system seems stable enough. I HATE turning off cool new video effects that come with a game. That's why I bought a 295. But I have to do something to get rid of these CTDs. I just bought a compressed air blower thingy and blew the dust out of my system (again). That's great about the 270 driver, but the release notes do not mention any improvements or fixes for 200 series cards. I'll wait for the next WHQL. Now NVIDIA will be paying even less attention to the 295 now that the dual-gpu 590 is out, and they hadn't been paying much attention to it anyway since the 400 series came out.

Edit:

The CTDs have gone away (knock on wood), using settings in post #12 above, and after I blew out superfine dust from my box and card using compressed air. Using 1.59 + 79600 beta patch. Could dust cause that much havoc????? System stable and silky smooth now. Thanks all for your help!

Full-res screenshots w/fps:

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa1.bmp

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa2.bmp

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa3.bmp

http://home.comcast.net/~brmlist/arma2oa4.bmp

Good to hear! And yes, dust is a very evil enemy when it comes to electronics. With so much heat generated in such small areas; every bit of cooling is needed. Dust pretty much insulates components, or in extreme cases can completely block airflow by jamming/clogging fans and air ducts.

I solved the nvidia-driver problem:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Try this:

Go to your Steam.exe and right click to the properties -> compatibility and set a cross to [X] Disable visual themes and [X] Disable desktop composition.

For Steam users, that may be good, but I'm not one of them.

After the compressed air, my card is running 4-5 deg cooler! However, I set AToC to 6 (with AA set to low), and the CTD/nvlddmkm error returned. AToC = bad news.

I also see no visual advantage of having AToC set to 7 and AA disabled (as some have suggested). Hardly any smoothing visible, and potential for grim CTDs is greatly increased, at least for my setup.

AOTC will only work with AA enabled. It probably is a good idea to disable it altogether if you're not using AA. Strange tho as I don't have any issues with or w/o it...what drivers are you using?

Edited by No Use For A Name

The 1.59 release notes say that AA must be enabled for AToC to work, but Hanzu, citing dev posts, says otherwise:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1890019&postcount=13

266.58 - GTX 295. All my system specs and drivers are listed in the first post of this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1888599&postcount=1

Many people are posting about various troubles with AToC. Your awesome new single-gpu card may be able to handle it cleanly.

Edited by OMAC

I was using the 266.58's after the update and had HORRIBLE performance with any kind of AA enabled, with or w/o AToC.

Someone suggested to try the 270.51 betas and ever since performance impact is a lot less. Although it may not be the same for dual-GPU cards, several people have reported better performance.