Sign in to follow this  
mcarma

1.09 patch cut my performance in half

FPS where always over 100 and are now between 23 and 53.

What gives? :confused:

some more usable report ? ideally on CIT with repro mission ?

some more usable report ? ideally on CIT with repro mission ?

I have somewhat new to Arma II OA. I don't understand exactly what you want me to do.

I have run the benchmarks and I get about half the frame rate. Nothing has changed except the patch.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

W7 Prof x64 | Rampage II Extreme | i7 965 @ 3.7 | 6GB Corsair 1866 CL7| EVGA GTX480 | Corsair HX1000w | 2 ssd's, 4 seagates | Lian-Li A77 | SupremeFX X-Fi | LG 27"

I don't understand exactly what you want me to do.

Create a ticket describing your problem on the Community Issue Tracker. Attach a mission which always exhibits this problem when it is run by you.

Most likely ATOC being on 4...

Open your Arma2.Cfg and change to 0, you'll get all your FPS back.

Levels of ATOC

// standalone

0 - disabled

1 - AToC on grass

2 - AToC on new OA trees (takistan, zargabad, proving ground, shapur)

4 - AToC on old A2 trees (utes, chernarus)

// combined

3 - AToC on grass & OA trees

5 - AToC on A2 trees + grass

6 - AToC on A2 + OA trees

7 - AToC enabled on grass, A2 & OA trees (default)

I very much doubt it's a game problem... don't see need for CIT, its simply a config change that has impacted performance. People need to be told that ATOC will automatically be applied... or provide an option in the graphics options, as it's quite a serious setting to mess with (if the user has no idea that it's been done).

Edited by rexehuk

Why did the devs decide to have ATOC enabled by default? I predict a lot more threads like this.

Most likely ATOC being on 4...

Open your Arma2.Cfg and change to 0, you'll get all your FPS back.

Levels of ATOC

// standalone

0 - disabled

1 - AToC on grass

2 - AToC on new OA trees (takistan, zargabad, proving ground, shapur)

4 - AToC on old A2 trees (utes, chernarus)

// combined

3 - AToC on grass & OA trees

5 - AToC on A2 trees + grass

6 - AToC on A2 + OA trees

7 - AToC enabled on grass, A2 & OA trees (default)

I very much doubt it's a game problem... don't see need for CIT, its simply a config change that has impacted performance. People need to be told that ATOC will automatically be applied... or provide an option in the graphics options, as it's quite a serious setting to mess with (if the user has no idea that it's been done).

I have no ATOC entry!! lol What does the whole entry line look like?

Me neither, I guess I missed something on the way somewhere :)

Never heard of ATOC before.

Maybe with ArmA2 standalone you have no ATOC entry (and thus it´s disabled)?!

It was introduced in the last OA betas.

I have noticed a drop in performance after the patch as well. I have been using the same settings and using fraps to record before and after the patch and there is definately something bogging the frame rate down post patch.

I have noticed a drop in performance after the patch as well. I have been using the same settings and using fraps to record before and after the patch and there is definately something bogging the frame rate down post patch.

that could be fraps related issue, would be not first nor last related ...

let's measure things w/o fraps

what do you folks get when running the benchmarks?

I suppose we are forced to reinstall the games and not use the 1.09 patch.

Reinstalled everything and still same results.

Edited by McArma

McArma we need more info on this problem

e.g. are you using any commandline switches ?

if not then please try use different values for -exThreads ?

just by curiosity do You have enabled or disabled HT on your i7?

just '-nosplash' on the command line. Yes 'HT' is enabled.

LOLOL, Just a while ago I tried to play MP and BattlEye shows cheat message.

I am most likely the oldest Arma II player here in the forums and I have no reason to cheat or hack. I am a retired programmer.

Why try, this year has not started out well for me.

Buggers! Maybe I should change my handle to McDead.

Well just to point it out - I'm actually getting slightly better performance and better texture lod's !This patch has by far the best texture lod's from all patches (in ArmA 2).The textures don't load as fast as in OA,but once they are loaded I haven't noticed them switching to lower quality ones.So,things can vary from pc to pc.

@McArma - I suggest you do this :

1: go to My Documents > ArmA 2 > and delete ArmA2.cfg (don't worry it will recreate itself).

2: defrag your ArmA 2 folder.

3: for your i7 try adding in the shortcut parameters -exThreads=5 or -exThreads=7 and see which gives best performance.

4: Start game.

If the above still don't make a difference,try disabling HT and try again.

That's pretty much it.Report after you've done all parts of the procedure.Hope it helps.

I have somewhat new to Arma II OA. I don't understand exactly what you want me to do.

I have run the benchmarks and I get about half the frame rate. Nothing has changed except the patch.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

W7 Prof x64 | Rampage II Extreme | i7 965 @ 3.7 | 6GB Corsair 1866 CL7| EVGA GTX480 | Corsair HX1000w | 2 ssd's, 4 seagates | Lian-Li A77 | SupremeFX X-Fi | LG 27"

2: defrag your ArmA 2 folder.

Well I wonder whose specs is that in McArma's second post on this thread. But if he really has SSD, those have no need for defragment, but 27" might have so big native resolution that it might explain low FPS with some new features.

I would delete or default Video Settings and then set them all to desired settings with also setting Video Memory Setting to Default instead of Very High even if you have GTX480 with 1.5 memory?).

McArma we need more info on this problem

e.g. are you using any commandline switches ?

if not then please try use different values for -exThreads ?

just by curiosity do You have enabled or disabled HT on your i7?

I will try the -exThreads command line switches today.

Sorry about responding so late.

Tried the -exTreads command line parameter and it seems to have no affect.

Edited by McArma

I noticed a huge drop in performance from 1.09. I do run OA/Combined, but the problem is my performance is fine on OA stuff (Takistan, Zargabad) but on Chernarus and Utes I notice that my FPS is 20-30 and my GPU usage is only between 50-60%. That's the REAL issue. I'm getting between 50-80 FPS on OA stuff. (Running i7 and SLI GTX 470)

Arma ran pretty good before the patch, now like the OP my performance is so bad i get slideshows going on. White trees, white bushes, low performance. This is the worst patch ever for me.

I've been playing since arma2, helping test beta patches aswell. I know my way around arma ok i guess as far as commandlines, mods etc are concerned. Even a vanilla CO gives bad fps now. Arma2 vanilla runs good but i get slowdowns i never had and white textures everywhere.

As far as ATOC goes, i didn't even know this thing existed, not mentioned anywhere in the actual patch so an end user who doesn't visit the forum has no clue this thing was added. I heard about it around here and set it to 0. Didnt help.

win xp sp2, Q9650 @3GHz, gtx 570, 3 gb ram. Latest drivers dx and nvidia.

Nothing changed before the patch, after the patch performance is plain silly. What now? Roll back to a previous installment?

Vanilla: just skip intro and empty world

Other / ACE: -mod=@stmovement;@proper;@zcommon;@ZACE;@ZACEX;@ZACEX_RU;@ZACEX_SM;@ZACEX_USNAVY;@ZCBA

All on Steam.

I went back to 1.57 ... 1.59 was too slow (see sig for my system). And its not just fraps. My missions were a slideshow. I'm running CO with ACE,ACEX and Zeus_AI. Played with AToC, didn't change anything. Not all 1.59 patches put AToC in Arma2/OA cfg files. I believe this is equivalent to

ATOC=7;

I'm not complaining, but 1.59 didn't work for me.

Tip for patching Arma2 (DVD and Sprocket - can't say for Steam) ...

1. Make a copy of your

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Arma2

and your My Documents\Arma2 folders before you apply patch. Eg call it

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Copy of Arma2

2. Apply patch. If you want to revert, shut down Arma2 and just rename the patched folder ... I did

1.59-Arma2

3. Rename

Copy of Arma2

back to

Arma2

and copy the My Documents\Arma2 folder back and you should be fine.

Edited by MissionCreep

Well 1.59 causes slow performance compaired to 1.57. So going back to 1.57.

Oh well!

Forgot to mention that I did try ATOC=0 and it seemed to improve the performance a hair.

With 1.09 and 1.57 I have this puppy running real good. Had to play around with some of the settings. I found that, for me, vsync must be on, and it had to be forced with nVidia Inspector. My zoom view is real smooth now.

I am currently trying the following parameters on the command line: '-cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 -mod=noblurB'. However I cannot notice any difference.

Question: when using this parameter '-exThreads=7' is it mandatory to have HT on???

Are the developers going to address this lose of frame rate? (whatever you want to call it)

Nope, I guess they wont!

Edited by McArma