Sign in to follow this  
Chuckie

Waypoint and trigger help please

How do i make other units follow through with their waypoints when a certain unit or units reach a certain spot?

You could set a variable to true in the On Activation of the Unit A waypoint after which you want Unit B to continue moving. Then you write the same variable name in Condition for Unit Bs waypoint where you want it to wait for A.

Or you could synchronize A and B waypoints. I'm still not 100% about how synchronizing works (I've had some strange results) but it's supposed to be possible that way

The best (I use it) way is to use the "lock WP false and true".

Whan the unit u want to stop reaches his first (or else waypoint) use "thisunit lockWp true" and when u go to the trigger use "thisunit lockWP false".

Not sure if you'll understand me, I'm Polish and my English is very poor. confused.gif

Well thanks for the replys but I have no idea what you both are talking about tounge.gif I have made a million missions but they have always been just basic waypoints and some copying and pasting scripts so I really have no idea what you are talkin about smile.gif So if you could be more specific I'd appriciate it thanks

Make both groups, and their waypoints

When you want group A to activate group B on WP 4 for instance.

Make a trigger at WP 4, name the trigger, make it a "switch" with no conditions, just activated by the side you are on.

Then syncronise the trigger with the first WP of group B.

So when group A activates the trigger group B's waypoint will be activated and they will work their waypoints.

Hope this helps.

Greetz

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chuckie @ May 17 2002,04:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thanks alot jap smile.gif works fine<span id='postcolor'>

smile.gif

YW

That leads me to a question. I have a mission in which a soldier patrols in circles. I want him to stop patrolling when a trigger is by another trigger activated.

So I have trigger A that activates and another trigger B that should change the soldiers behaviour (he should take cover) .

I synchronized trigger B (switch) to one of the waypoints the guy walks by.

And that`s the problem: The soldier now moves only to the waypoint where the trigger B is synchronized to and stops or doesn`t even move there. Even if trigger A is not activated that would activate trigger B.

How can I get that guy to patrol and then change his behavoiur when a trigger is activated. Must`ve made a mistake.

Do you want them to stop patrolling and go

somewhere else or just take cover, or just

change their behaviour?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ May 17 2002,12:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That leads me to a question. I have a mission in which a soldier patrols in circles. I want him to stop patrolling when a trigger is by another trigger activated.

So I have trigger A that activates and another trigger B that should change the soldiers behaviour (he should take cover) .

I synchronized trigger B (switch) to one of the waypoints the guy walks by.

And that`s the problem: The soldier now moves only to the waypoint where the trigger B is synchronized to and stops or doesn`t even move there. Even if trigger A is not activated that would activate trigger B.

How can I get that guy to patrol and then change his behavoiur when a trigger is activated. Must`ve made a mistake.<span id='postcolor'>

I can't completly understand your question.

But if you synchronize wp with trigger then unit will pass through that wp after trigger is activated - if trigger is not activated unit will stay near synchronized wp.

If you want to stop soldier after trigger is on add into trigger on activation : alert=true

and into all conditions of patroling wps put !alert.

Patroling soldier will stay near his next wp after trigger is activated. If you want to let soldier to continue his patrol after that, actvate (by trigger or script) alert=false.

Your waypoint setup should look like:

wp1: move

wp2: move

wp3: cycle (close to wp1)

wp4: do what you want the unit to do, after trigger B got activated

trigger A: activates switch trigger B

trigger B: syncronize it with wp3 (cycle)

Now what will happen?

unit walks to wp1, then to wp2, then to cycle wp and again

wp1 -> wp2 again and again

After trigger B got activated, the unit will move imidiately

to wp4 (using all its behaviour/combat etc. settings) - even

if wp1 or wp2 have not been passed at this time.

:note - if you want the unit only to change it's behaviour,

place wp4 exactly onto the unit, and change only behaviour

inside the waypoints menu.

hope this helps

~S~ CD

DV Chris Death I tested your way and it works. But how to make soldier return to his patrol route ?

Why it works with trig.B activated by trig.A and doesn't work when I create and synchronize only trig.A with 4th wp ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But how to make soldier return to his patrol route ?

<span id='postcolor'>

Well, create 1 more waypoint, and change waypoint 4

to a type: hold waypoint.

wp5: cycle (close to wp1 or wp2)

Now create trigger C: this is the trigger, which should be

activated with the condition, you want to have for the unit

to go back on patrol. Trigger C needs to be a switch trigger.

Syncronize this trigger with wp4 (the hold waypoint).

If the conditions of trigger C become active (e.g: no more

units of side: enemy present), the unit will imidiately head to

waypoint 5, which let's it do the patrol again.

The hold waypoint still lets the unit do it's job (attacking

enemies), but it's like the cycle waypoint (or support/destroy),

it's a final waypoint - this means, you can't send a unit to

the next waypoint, without using a switch trigger.

Or, another version, which would work aswell:

You could do the same thing but let the unit start with

wp1: hold - syncronized with trigger C (enemy/not present)

type: switch

wp2: move

wp3: move

wp4: cycle (close to wp2)

wp5: do what you want the unit to do, after trigger B got activated

Required for this version is, that there are no enemy units

inside trigger C's range at the start of the mission.

This would let the unit start it's patrol, cycling then between

wp2 and wp3, once trigger B becomes active --> to wp5

and when trigger C becomes active again (don't forget to

use: repeatedly), the unit would start it's patrol again.

Just play around with it, and you'll find out the version, you

prefer.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why it works with trig.B activated by trig.A and doesn't work when I create and synchronize only trig.A with 4th wp ?<span id='postcolor'>

OK, i guess, trigger A is not a switch trigger

And a switch trigger is what you need, to break through

final waypoints (as explained above)

hope this helps

~S~ CD