Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

Sometimes soldiers refuse to move.

I have Operation Arrowhead.

Six men are on patrol.

We engage some enemy. We kill all the enemy and the patrol can continue.

Two men remain in the crouch position and refuse to move.

I switch places with one of the men, move 20 meters, switch back to the leader and that soldier still refuses to obey any movement order.

-

Guessing here, but they may have dropped out of squad or formation. You could try selecting the soldiers individually using the corresponding "F" key and then "Return to formation" (1-1) eg F4 1-1. Alternatively they may still be in danger mode so select them individually and set to safe mode eg F4 7-4. Sorry if you have tried these already

Yes I tried all of that

My character walked up to them and ordered "Return to formation".

I set 2 of them to be members of the same team and gave a move order to that team.

-

Hi Joe98

Try setting both members of the seperate team to safe. Also check the lead one has not died, with report status [F~] [5] [5]

Kind Regards walker

I have experienced this recently in a mission I've been creating. During a number of playthroughs (not all of them) some soldiers of my squad would stop moving at all. Ordering them to return to formation didn't work, changing behaviour and stances as well. If they were crouching, they wouldn't stand up when ordered to do so. Asking them to perform an action was also pointless.

It was really weird, but because I had never experienced it before I linked it to the addons I was using - Lingor Island and DAC (although my squad wasn't created by DAC, so it shouldn't be affected). I would have to test it a little more to see if this still happens.

Are they using pistols? If they're crouching with their pistols out, this often happens. Unfortunately the only solution to this is to remove their handguns :(

Regards,

Wolfrug

The bug is still there I see. By default I remove all sidearms from team members because of this... which is very unfortunate.

I have Operation Arrowhead.

Six men are on patrol.

We engage some enemy. We kill all the enemy and the patrol can continue.

Two men remain in the crouch position and refuse to move.

I switch places with one of the men, move 20 meters, switch back to the leader and that soldier still refuses to obey any movement order.

-

That's never happened to me.

Is it a mission? I'd like to test it out.

Just a guess, but orders like 'Stealth',' Danger',' Aware' etc might have something to do with it.

same thing for me. I'll try to make a mission to reproduce.

Really, really, really really, annoying having to quit mission half-way because your team mates refuse to follow orders, or even at the basic, follow you when the battle is over.

How is it so hard to force the units to follow you orders, I know better than them when it comes to commanding, they shouldn't be so arrogant and try to preserve their own "safety", it gets them killed more then less.

Ok, here it goes,

While trying to make a video of a small assault on an enemy position to show that the AI refuses to move after the assault, i came across another bug which is the AI is so stubborn that it refuses to follow orders, engages on it's own even if they were set on hold fire.

I tried to lead the group to victory, they ended up getting killed because the only orders they would follow were standing and crouching orders. Because of that I can't show you yet why the AI doesn't follow after winning a battle. I'll make another video of it soon.

You say it's the pistol bug?? Strangely they never seem to take out their handguns so I don't understand why that would cause any problems. Problems seem to be reccurent with Snipers, Medics and Machinegunners, riflemen don't seem to be as affected by this bug. But as I say, i'll try to reproduce the problem later.

VIDEO LINK

(Sorry for the quality, FRAPS only rendered half-size)

WHOA don't jump to conclusions!

I watched the video and it seems the squad were happily engaging an enemy machine gun, so when you ordered them to regroup on you, they preferred dealing with the MG first rather than make themselves easy targets by running up to join you.

In real life they'd have shouted something like "Sorry sir, we're pinned by an MG and can't rejoin you just yet, wait til we've taken it out"

I undestand, and I tested my patience again with the same scenario to see if they would obey me.

I let my team engage the MG and AA nest from where they were and I waited for them to kill them all.... Well it happened they didn't hit one of them, and became ammo empty after 10 minutes of aimless shooting. When I tried to get closer, they would not follow. I tried to retreat them to a nearby base to refill ammo and grab some sniper rifles ---- foul ball ---, they decided that they would stay there, stuck, aiming at the enemy, even if they didn't have any more ammo.

When I need a fast retreat, I want them to follow me and get the hell out of there when I order them. I don't mind if they shoot their way back to safety, but as it is right now, they don't move an inch, whatever mode I set em, whatever order I tell them (advance, stay back, take cover, regroup, Move to, hold fire, disengage....).

I've recorded this scenario again if you wish to see it, it's not uploaded to youtube yet because I don't think it will be very useful right now. I think my post explains it.

Next thing I'm gonna try without ZEUS AI. Sooo many people recommended it that I would find it weird that it is the cause of all this.

It seems that as soon as they enter auto DANGER MODE when they detect a threat, my leadership and rank can go take a coffee break because the only order they follow is Stand up, crouch, and go prone.

In your video, this error message briefly came up- "Cannot open object", which might mean your mission was flawed in some way, therefore it's not a reliable test. Delete the mission and the video from your system and create another one.

nah it's a WarFX bug, does that in alot of missions.

I just tried without Zeus AI, it seems to have better response. Sometimes they are still stubborn and need 2 or 3 orders before moving but at least i'm able to have minimum control over them. Tho, it would be nice to have a simple way to force order when I need a VERY FAST retreat or a fast crossing of an open field without returning fire. I guess I won't have my epic moment of running through a field with my team, doding bullets and explosions.

I've had mega problems with subordinate AI when using Zeus. It seems to work better for AI led squads rather than player led units.

..I just tried without Zeus AI, it seems to have better response. Sometimes they are still stubborn and need 2 or 3 orders before moving but at least i'm able to have minimum control over them..

I'm vanilla Comb Ops 1.57, life's so easier that way..;)

PS- is there any way you can send the mission to me so I can test it?

In my case the mission was created in my Missions.

And yes one of the soldiers who disobeyed orders had his pistol out.

-

My mission was the first one of the custom campaign -- A noble cause

BTW will this 'pistol bug' (AI becoming immobilized after some time when using handgun) ever be fixed?

Is it even possible to be fixed?

Is there a ticket at CIT (couldn´t find one)?

This is one of the f...n major bugs spoilin´single player missions :mad:

Edited by @ST

Still happening for me.. literaly every mission there will be some team member that is seemingly 'trapped' with his pistol out.

My solution is, as the mission starts, remove the pistols from every man including myself.

-

Yeah, it´s important that you remove their pistols before they fall into their catatonic state :p

but nonetheless this is no solution but a half-baked workaround :(

Aargh it just happened to me in two separate games! Several members of my squad simply stopped following me around and i tried everything to make them rejoin but they just ignored me so I had to quit the games.

Maybe the last patch (1.29) is to blame, I don't know.

PS- they were still holding rifles so i don't think it was anything to do with handguns

Edited by PoorOldSpike