Sign in to follow this  
Acid81

Faulty AV-8B controls

Is the player suppose to be able to control the decent and lift of the aircraft by use of more thrust once auto hover has been engaged ?

an aircraft wing does not produce lift at 0 forward velocity so you need another force to counteract weight, so yes thrust is used. When T = W you hover in one spot. when T > W you go up and when T < W you fall down.

I think the harrier does a certain amount of the work for you, but it is not powerful enough to hover with a full war load. I think you can gain more control over the throttle by using analogue throttle in the controls, but it's a bit whacky (50% - 100% of the joystick range is thrust, and 0%-49% is brake). I agree that when you're flying forward with auto hover on, the harrier is a bit floaty... at least I think it was the last time I flew it a while ago.

So you couldnt vertically take off with a full load ?

Do the loadouts on planes in ArmA actually have weight ? I havent seen anything in reference to this in the configs.

I gave it my best shot but couldn't get her to take off vertically and had to settle for a short takeoff instead (sniffle)

AV-8B HARRIER SHORT TAKEOFF TUTORIAL

FEW GOOD MEN- http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/showthread.php?7204-AV-8B-Harrier-short-takeoff&p=50016#post50016

It is supposed to work that way. Short take off, vertical landing.

The only two aircraft able to perform a vertical takeoff in ArmA2 are MV22 and F-35B.

The harrier gains enough lift above 80km/h for climb...retract gear early and flaps only one notch and it rises fast...just keep forward speed.

I never had any trouble getting her to take off just performing a landing, damn near impossible especially on a carrier.

Yea, Each time I try. I end up lifting off, but Going forward a bit also.

Because the harrier requires forward flight to take off, if you have the throttle at maximum in auto hover mode, I think the computer tries to keep your thrust angle so that it constantly builds speed, especially under 80km/h. If you nose up to match the thrust angle at low speeds, you will slow and start to sink.

Incidentally is there any way of determining wind speed and direction in AA2?

In the real world takeoffs and landings are made easier directly into the wind and I daresay it'd be easier in the game too.

Incidentally is there any way of determining wind speed and direction in AA2?

In the real world takeoffs and landings are made easier directly into the wind and I daresay it'd be easier in the game too.

Wind is not modelled at all. Wind does not affect any objects that are not part of the map.

The fix for this is easy, a Harrier in real life is capable of vertical take off. As said above, not with a full load-out. When a Harrier lands on a carrier, the aircraft has only a few minutes/seconds to land before it runs out of fuel (Correct me if I'm wrong, that's how I've heard it).

Here's a small topic: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1818910

Also a small demonstration I made with full instructions in the description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySoRPB-CtaU

Hoped this helped, enjoy!

Edit: With this "fix", it is possible to take off with a full load-out, you just have to play it realistically and not do that.

Edited by MissileMoose

The fix for this is easy, a Harrier in real life is capable of vertical take off. As said above, not with a full load-out. When a Harrier lands on a carrier, the aircraft has only a few minutes/seconds to land before it runs out of fuel (Correct me if I'm wrong, that's how I've heard it).

I believe it has 90 seconds of water injection while in VTOL configuration.

I think that what you're referring to as fuel there is actually water injection that helps keep the compressor blades cooler so they can run the engine harder to hover. They only have like 50 gallons of water or something, enough for one and a half minutes.

I believe it has 90 seconds of water injection while in VTOL configuration.
I think that what you're referring to as fuel there is actually water injection that helps keep the compressor blades cooler so they can run the engine harder to hover. They only have like 50 gallons of water or something, enough for one and a half minutes.

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, so I suppose the heavier it is the faster it would have to land, is that right? That must be very intense, landing on a moving carrier within a time limit though. :eek:

Moose

I think the water is delivered at a fixed rate so it always has one and a half minutes of water. Before the power increase of the pegasus engines allowing the harrier to land with some external stores, the pilots would have to jettison them prior to landing. This was apparently considered in the all-up cost of operating the engine. If the aircraft is too heavy to land safely I think they tool around and use up a bunch of fuel and drop their stores prior, as opposed to putting the aircraft, ship, and crews at risk.

You can't take off vertically with an AV-8B but you can land vertically :)

Hi Cyborg, I'm just a little bit confused about what you're saying. If you mean in real life then I'm sure it can (

), In ArmA 2 you can too with the config change (See above).

Regards

Moose

Wind is not modelled at all. Wind does not affect any objects that are not part of the map.

Oh boy that's not true. Wind is modelled and it effects particles. With a bit of scripting it can also effect anything else...

Oh boy that's not true. Wind is modelled and it effects particles. With a bit of scripting it can also effect anything else...

Just look at ACE and how the bullets behave. Wind is modelled

Hi PoorOldSpike,

I'm guessing that you changed the config values so I've just got a quick question, is it really slow to accelerate when taking off in forward flight? Here's a little video of the problem. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Regards

Moose

Now find a real life video of a Harrier taking off vertically with six 1000lb Paveways onboard. :p Theres a reason for ski jumps (or there was, damn you coalition government...).