Sign in to follow this  
WKK Gimbal

Classical sci-fi & fantasy books?

Hey, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some smashing sci-fi or fantasy (or generally imaginative) books to read under the sun? I really like classic political fiction, such as George Orwell, H.G.Wells or Arthur C. Clarke. But anything that relies on a good point and story, rather than waste time on pointless descriptions of fantastic hardware, is interesting IMO.

cheers smile.gif

Oh no, new stuff is just fine. I was simply explaining my "readers background", if it can be called so. smile.gif

My picks:

#1) The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind

Includes several volumes:

1. Wizard's First Rule

2. Stone of Tears

3. Blood of The Fold

4. Temple of the Winds

5. Soul of Fire

6. Faith of the Fallen

7. Pillars of Creation

8. Debt of Bones

I'm not sure if this series is completed, I'm on book 5

These are some very long books. Very intense and well written fantasy. The reading can be fairly heavy at times, but is easier than Tolkien because it is modern.

#2) The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.

Also a multi volumes series.

1. The Eye of the World

2. The Great Hunt

3. The Dragon Reborn

4. The Fires of Heaven

5. Lord of Chaos

6. A Crown of Swords

7. The Path of Daggers

series is not finished, more books to come. I'm on book 6. A good read, though plot drags at times. Very detailed. Easier to read than Goodkind though I like his writting more.

The Dune saga (I can't remember how many books) by Frank Herbert. It's among the best sci-fi I've ever read.

If you are not going to read it then I'll come and kick your butt. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ May 14 2002,12:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Dune saga (I can't remember how many books) by Frank Herbert. It's among the best sci-fi I've ever read.

If you are not going to read it then I'll come and kick your butt.  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Three, i think. I never read the books, but i have seen two different versions of the movies. They where a lot alike, so i guess the book will be also the same. Books, bah. I rather dress like Peter Pan

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ May 14 2002,14:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Three, i think.<span id='postcolor'>

I checked and there are six of them. Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ May 14 2002,11:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some smashing sci-fi or fantasy (or generally imaginative) books to read under the sun? I really like classic political fiction, such as George Orwell, H.G.Wells or Arthur C. Clarke. But anything that relies on a good point and story, rather than waste time on pointless descriptions of fantastic hardware, is interesting IMO.

cheers  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If you like views a la George Orwell, I can recommend to you "Catch 22 " by Joseph Heller. I read it a long time ago i high-school and am currently reading again, and it's still great.

Okay this one was reccomended to me by a German and I really enjoyed it.

The forever war - By Joe Haldeman

"Private William Mandella is a reluctant hero in an intersetellar war against an unknown and unconquerable alien enemy, but his greatest test will come when he returns home. Relativity means that for every few months tour of duty, centuries have passed on Earth, isolating the combatants even more from the world for whose future they are fighting"

I dont know if this is the kind of thing you are looknig for, but i must stress it is an absolutely amazing book. With many interesting concepts.

I will also suggest Wheel of Time series! Probably the best read I've ever had (the last one is Winter's Heart) Book 5(Lord of Chaos) is the best!

If you want something epic, but short get Magician by Raymond Feist, and other parts of the trilogy (although they're not that neccessary) Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon.

And recently I started reading A Song Of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin. Pretty intense stuff! Very violent and not as childish as other fantasy books! Almost real life (heroes die almost every minute, rapes and tortures, sex scenes etc.)

But still a bloody good read!

If you haven't already (which would surprise me), read as much William Gibson as you can get your hands on.

Bradbury is always entertaining, Martian Chronicles, I sing the body electric, S is for space, The illustrated man etc.

Here's a great book that no one knows about:

David Sosnowski; "Rapture" - about a decease that turns people into angels.

OK, not really "classic" in the sense that it is old, but The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson is the best sci-fi I have ever read. Very character and story based, and also very political and well written.

If you like fantasy, I would also recommend two of Donaldson's fantasy trilogies: The First (and Second) chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Pretty heavy going at times, but well worth it.

Works by Stephen R. Donaldson

My personal picks.........

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (easy read)....I wouldn't worry about the sequels Speaker For The Dead and Xenocide...I don't think they are as good myself. But I would recommend one of his new books on that universe...Enders Shadow....its interesting cause it takes the events of Enders Game...and then follows all of it through the eyes of a different boy.

Course my personal fav...the Dragonlance Saga. Just worry about The Chronicles or the Legends trilogies (Chronicles comes first).

Look for a good cyper-punk meets religion book called Rim. Forgot who its by.

If you need some good laughs check out the Myth series. Forgot by who but its hilarious. Same with Good Omens by Neil Gaiman. Speaking of Neil Gaiman I also have to recommend Neverwhere.

Thanks peoples!

I've made a list with every single one of them. Too bad the sun is gone again and the weather sux. but hey, one can read inside right smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ May 14 2002,14:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont know if this is the kind of thing you are looknig for, but i must stress it is an absolutely amazing book. With many interesting concepts.<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely right up my alley smile.gif

I like mindbending concepts

I don't know if you would like'em, but these are my favourite sci-fi books:

Distress and Luminous by Greg Egan

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Crashlander by Larry Niven

Machines that think (edited by Isaac Asimov, colection of short stories from different writers)