Sign in to follow this  
wyskass

How to improve with training.

Hi,

I've played most of the first campaign and it went fairly well.

But when trying stand alone missions with closer combat against larger forces, keep getting shot down quickly from nowhere.

Yes, I know it's part of the game and realism, so I'm not complaining.

What I'm looking for is some sort of set of training scenarios which provide target practice beyond the too simple boot camp.

I'm trying to get a feel for ranges of weapons and trajectories.

Also, a being able to change stances quickly, aim and fire.

Sure, I can just play and keep getting shot down, but a structured approach would be more ideal for improving more quickly and less frustratingly.

Are there any good purely training scenarios that someone can point me towards?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Really love this game and how much depth is there.

Hi,

As regards a general overview of the gaming and working and tactics (that can be incorporated into Arma2) :

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

Also video guides on usage in different areas of the sim:

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=87

As regards practice with aiming, firing, ranges, without threats and plenty of weapons testing this mission is pretty much a god send. Its a target range, you have tank/man/targets moving and you can set distance and range, and then you can test any weapon in the entire content of arma2/oa as much as you want to:

Thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81156

Mirror link:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6505

Also:

Depending on what you have, Operation Arrownhead has under scenarios missions to view all weapons and vehicles with its own base, so you can try everything out, that also has target ranges for vehicles/tanks/helis etc etc & no direct threats. I also think Arma2 has this but as i'm not near the game I cant say directly.

Armoury section in you main menu, where you can try certain weapons & vehicles in all kinds of scenarios and test things that way too.

Also Combined Arma2 with Operation Arrowhead you get better optics, zeroing options, better AI clock direction of enemies, so ... if you only have arma2 then get Arrowhead too, very much has improvements in many of these areas.

Another test is to go into the editor and get used to it, placing a small team and yourself and replay small skirmishes with enemy placed on map however you want.

Its a learning curve and treat is like your are stood being shot at, not, its a game so there will be run n gun options :) In fact completely remove that thought and then look at the tactics.

Edited by mrcash2009

If you specifically want to learn to fight and shoot, online deathmatch is the best teacher because the action is often instantaneous, your opponents can be very skilled and death doesn't stop the mission.

Great advice and help, thanks.

Yes, I've gone over the first link before a little. It's definitely very helpful in getting the right approach with tactics.

The mission you linked seems to be exactly what I need.

Also, yes I have the Combined Operations and have been going through the armory. I can't really pass any of the ones that involve getting shot at. I can go through 10 rounds and not hit anyone, yet the campaign seemed easier. Armory is nice, but I just don't get enough feedback as to too high or too low and can't repeat specific ones. The target practice and shoot house was great but it just pops up randomly.

I like a more methodical efficient approach to this kind of thing.

Anyway, yes. I get that it's not a run and gun, shoot 'em up type of thing, which I like. I

I think there should be more training tutorials and practice scenarios include in the game to begin with.

Sorry if it sounded a little assuming on my part, but I didn't know what your experience was or what version you had :)

Seems you need a place where you can play around and not get killed all the time, so that target range mission is great to test out things.

Again the scenarios for OA are superb for looking at all factions gear and using its base firing ranges and targets, as I say they cater for heli targeting, tanks, weapons without the threats.

Also go to the editor and use Ambient civilians module in a town and use them as target practice using CQB with a small team :):p That will help on movement, and also place maybe 1 opfor to play tag with.

Scenarios pretty much are the training as they cover different aspects, OA ones are great, esp the stealth mission to destroy tanks in enemy base, that will get you used to movement :)

Remember that your highest Priority is not to achieve as many kills as possible, but to stay alive! If you come under Fire search for a good Position with cover, then fight the enemy

Hi,

I've played most of the first campaign and it went fairly well.

But when trying stand alone missions with closer combat against larger forces, keep getting shot down quickly from nowhere.

Yes, I know it's part of the game and realism, so I'm not complaining.

What I'm looking for is some sort of set of training scenarios which provide target practice beyond the too simple boot camp.

I'm trying to get a feel for ranges of weapons and trajectories.

Also, a being able to change stances quickly, aim and fire.

Sure, I can just play and keep getting shot down, but a structured approach would be more ideal for improving more quickly and less frustratingly.

Are there any good purely training scenarios that someone can point me towards?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Really love this game and how much depth is there.

I just wanna to say that the best training is just put yourself in the battle through editor and improve your combat skill by increasing the number of enemies gradually, no training will be better than in real ingame combat.

Btw, try to reduce the difficulity especially reduce the enemy skill so that you can be less frustrated. Good luck, lol.

Absolutely. That's a great mission for firearms training.

BTW, does the ballistics chart work in the Arma2 version?

Can't seem to figure out how to see it.

..What I'm looking for is some sort of set of training scenarios which provide target practice beyond the too simple boot camp..

Don't forget the fun to be had in the Armory!

Go to the Armory, select a weapon and click 'Try', and you'll be placed at a random spot on the map without any team mates and given a simple job like "Attack enemy position","Stay alive while being hunted","Assassinate somebody", "Steal a piece of equipment", "Defend a position" etc.

The program will automatically present you with enemies tailored to whatever type of weapon you chose to try, e.g. if you chose a rifle, the enemy will be infantry, and if you chose a SAM, they'll be planes and helos, and if you chose an AT launcher they'll be vehicles and AFV's.

Weather is random, so is day/night.

I'm totally hooked on the Armory, and only win about half the time..:)

What!? Why didn't anyone tell me that? :( I thought the armory was something where there's just a ton of vehicles in a line. Oh shizzle I need to go try it.

Remember that your highest Priority is not to achieve as many kills as possible, but to stay alive! If you come under Fire search for a good Position with cover, then fight the enemy

Indeed, keep in cover as much as possible, use the terrain to do so. Avoid being in the open where you can get attacked and no where to go for cover. When you move out first scan ahead if it's safe to do so. Only move fast when needed, otherwise move slow and scan more. Move fast, die fast, move slow, live longer. When on the move, keep scanning around and stop every 200m at cover and do more scanning. Always look around where to go when you get under fire.

Be carefull.

Keep your head down when getting shot at and try to relocate, once enemy know you position they will all come down on you. Poke your head out and shoot or scan and get back in cover asap, especially when you dont know where the enemy is. Try to use single shot for best accuracy in the prone or crouched position.

Edited by Chill xl

In the Armoury, you can use the map to measure a distance accurately.

Place your man adjacent to a building.

Using the map, walk a precise distance such as 300 meters

Then you can fire at the building and watch your fall of shot.

This can be done with any unit that has a range finder.

If you dont have a range finder, you can pace out the distance as a human would.

-

I find the best way to stay alive when you first engage in combat is to MAKE DAMN SURE you use your crosshair to fire off as many shots as you can in the enemy's direction before you hit the dirt/move into cover. This will cause them to panic and GREATLY reduce their accuracy. If you can continue to put them under pressure for rest of the firefight, you will have the upper hand... providing you are able to stay cool under the pressure of enemy fire yourself. :)

There are 116 rifles (at last count) in the Comb Ops Armory to try out, and I'm currently working through them all to find out what sort of scopes and sights they have, and will do an illustrated "Rifle Guide" post when i've finished.

One of my favourites is the M107 TWS (the famous Barrett .50-cal), it's got a kick like a mule but you can pick off enemies at huge ranges, they show up as white images on the telescopic Thermal Weapon Sight even in daytime and don't stand a chance.

NOTE- when you buy the game, you don't have access to all the Armory weapons, you have to 'unlock' them by scoring points which seems a bit childish to me.

But luckily therre's a way to get full access to all of them right from the start, you have to type:- armoryPoints=50000;

into your profile stats via Notepad..:)

Here's part of my stats showing how the line looks sitting in there-

floatingZoneArea=0;

headBob=0.062641099;

armoryPoints=50000;

sceneComplexity=300000;

viewDistance=2400;

The Barrett in action against an enraged lynch mob- I've been stalking their district for weeks and there's a price on my head, they call me "The Shadow"..

AA-shad850.jpg

The Barrett daylight scope (This is fitted to the other version of the Barrett called plain M107 in the armory)

AA-Barr2b.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

..I thought the armory was something where there's just a ton of vehicles in a line. Oh shizzle I need to go try it.

Okay, but after you choose your weapon to 'Try' and you're put on the map, you have to wait on average about 45 secs before the option to go to a mission comes up ('Yes'/'No' to accept it or decline it.)

If you decline it (for example if it's an 'Attack' mission and you want a 'Defend') you have to wait again for another mission to come up to accept/decline.

Sadly we can't choose the mission types, we have to wait til we're offered one we like.

Use the time waiting to have fun popping off rounds at nearby things etc.

... But when trying stand alone missions with closer combat against larger forces, keep getting shot down quickly from nowhere. ...

Especially figthing in the closer ranges against larger forces my advice would be to avoid using a scope on your assault rifle. With a scope you tend to be more stationary and use the range, at first this works but then it tends to work against you. You need more ground to cover while detected and being stationary makes it easier for the enemy to close the net around you. Furthermore when looking trough the scope your situational awareness goes down, you focus and loose overview. Use single shot and your sights as much as possible, if not always, for best accuracy, make as much shots count! Take a few shots and get back into cover, don't try to take em all out at once.

Use cover to get as close as possible without being detected, ambush a few foes and relocate, again use as much cover as possible while doing so. Hit 'n run when fighting a larger force... To succeed, staying alive is more important then an extra kill.

Edited by Chill xl

Okay, but after you choose your weapon to 'Try' and you're put on the map, you have to wait on average about 45 secs before the option to go to a mission comes up ('Yes'/'No' to accept it or decline it.)

If you decline it (for example if it's an 'Attack' mission and you want a 'Defend') you have to wait again for another mission to come up to accept/decline.

Sadly we can't choose the mission types, we have to wait til we're offered one we like.

Use the time waiting to have fun popping off rounds at nearby things etc.

It's weird though, I was playing with the M4 and it kept putting G36 mags and stuff like that into my inventory. What's up with that?

There is a very good training Moveable target range, it should be very useful for your pourposes.

If you also need a chopper training mission you can get this created for improving pilot skills on AH-6.

Both are great stuff! A must, I dare to say, for every ArmA player.

Bye and have a good training!

This may be a little off topic here... but is this not the hardest aiming FPS you have ever played?

At first I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I couldn't believe how hard it was at first. Then you start figuring things out, and it gets a little easier. But it is still a very challenging aiming system.

(when I say aiming, I mean the entire act of aiming at a target, squeezing the "trigger" and hitting said target. aiming and squeezing the "trigger" isn't so hard.... it's the hitting the target part that is the most challenging.)

Don't forget the fun to be had in the Armory!

Go to the Armory, select a weapon and click 'Try', and you'll be placed at a random spot on the map without any team mates and given a simple job like "Attack enemy position","Stay alive while being hunted","Assassinate somebody", "Steal a piece of equipment", "Defend a position" etc.

The program will automatically present you with enemies tailored to whatever type of weapon you chose to try, e.g. if you chose a rifle, the enemy will be infantry, and if you chose a SAM, they'll be planes and helos, and if you chose an AT launcher they'll be vehicles and AFV's.

Weather is random, so is day/night.

I'm totally hooked on the Armory, and only win about half the time..:)

yeah…armory is really fun and is a good way to do some training…but the first condition is TO UNLOCK the weapon you want to try…umm,that's a little difficult…:)

I agree with Celery that PvP like DM/CTF is a great way to get good at shooting and movement. You cant help but learn how to lean from cover and move appropriately because if you dont you keep getting killed from nowhere and will either quickly learn or ragequit.

I find the use of stealth and concealment is essential. I have played against much better players and managed to score kills on them by "tip toeing" which is essentially tapping forward so that you do not make any footfall sounds and hiding in bushes to catch a player go past you.

If you can at least see where your opponent is killing you from you are doing better because your senses about checking your surroundings is improving. If you start getting shots off before you get killed then that is another step forward.

Finally you will get someone before they get you in a firefight because all the fighting has conditioned your fingers to fly over the keyboard. I almost laugh when I think about the keypresses I do in pvp its crazy where other games you stick to the old wasd and mousewheel click. In Arma you have the prone/stance/lean and double commands to manage. Playing pvp cqb will improve a players key management and controll no doubt about it.

Once you start sighting and scoping people in on their flank you have arrived because you are sneaky enough to get to a good position and you can shoot at your opponent before they even have a chance. Most of the fights in Arma are over before they start because one opponent has out thought another and arrived at the flanking position first.

I love the ACOG in pvp btw because its the best scope for me and its not bad in close but I havent tested CQB sights in a while. Alot of people like the DMR and I can hear them spam firing. G36 has allways been popular but I left it once I found the gorgueous ACOG and felt like it had a little more style then the G36. I havent PvP'd in a long time and its allways fun, great warmup and deserves a place in public MP. I would be really happy if there was just some 24/7 PvP action online its a real big loss for the community. It seems weekends and certain weeknights or team affiliation is the best way to get consistent action.

P.S.

If you are playing any mode and incoming bullets hit cover near to you then you are playing well because you used cover and survived the ambush (AI will shoot the laces off your shoes if thats all they see though)

If you actually get a chance to reload in DM/CTF you are doing well because you are surviving longer and directing fire towards the opponent.

Edited by TJ72

yeah…armory is really fun and is a good way to do some training…but the first condition is TO UNLOCK the weapon you want to try…umm,that's a little difficult…:)

You must have missed what i said somewhere earlier-- there's a way to get 100% access to all weapons right from the start, you have to type:- armoryPoints=50000;

into your profile stats via Notepad..

Here's part of my stats showing how the line looks sitting in there-

floatingZoneArea=0;

headBob=0.062641099;

armoryPoints=50000;

sceneComplexity=300000;

viewDistance=2400;

This may be a little off topic here... but is this not the hardest aiming FPS you have ever played?

At first I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I couldn't believe how hard it was at first. Then you start figuring things out, and it gets a little easier. But it is still a very challenging aiming system.

(when I say aiming, I mean the entire act of aiming at a target, squeezing the "trigger" and hitting said target. aiming and squeezing the "trigger" isn't so hard.... it's the hitting the target part that is the most challenging.)

Trust me, Arma 1 is harder and OFP is the hardest in terms of aiming precision.

It's weird though, I was playing with the M4 and it kept putting G36 mags and stuff like that into my inventory. What's up with that?

Which M4 you talking about? There are 10 variants in the Armory.

I just test-fired the basic M4A1 and kept reloading with G36 mags just fine.

Hitting a stealthy/moving target in the heat of battle is tough! There are no magnetic bullets in Arma (maybe some AI units have them - I don't know :)).

The book by Sasser and Roberts "One Shot One Kill" quotes the following stats:

WW I -- 7,000 rounds/casualty

WW II -- 25,000 rounds/casualty

Korea -- 50,000 rounds/casualty

Vietnam -- 200,000-400,000 rounds/casualty

The increase in ammunition use is likely due more to things like increased reliability, rates of fire and range of engagement from new technology, faster reloads and larger ammunition carrying capacity, body armour and better ammo supply/logistics in recent times.

In one sense many missions in Arma are quite unrealistic - only a minority of battlefield casualties typically come from gunfire. I believe artillery was in the past the biggest battlefield killer, eg 40%-60% of all casualties in WWII. For Western Armies in the 21st century it is undoubtedly mines, IEDs, booby traps as enemies generally avoid fact-to-face conflict whenever possible. For their opponents, it is likely airstrikes. I seem to recall that war casualties from small arms fire is typically less than 10% the total.

Anyway, I do digress from the post topic ....

Edited by MissionCreep