Sign in to follow this  
Challenger3

The power of oxygen

Now that oxygen is available to certain modelers an incredibly powerful tool has been given to the ofp community. With the advent of oxygen we (I use the term 'we' very loosely) effectively have an infantry combat environement and engine in which any sort of combat based simulation is possible. This means that we can create any sort of combat game in the environment of the ofp world from realistic to fantastic. Already ww2 projects are springing up yet it is also concevable that star trek, star wars, starship troopers, warhammer 40,000, any sort of sci-fi combat can effectuvely be modelled within the accomodating world of ofp. So long as people make sure elements are balanced there is pretty much no limit to what can be created. It would be really good to see people realise this potential beyond a massive proliferation of aircraft, and the view that OFP should'nt go non-military. The whole point of optional addons is that the individaul is at leisure as to whether they download them or not. Therefore complaints against others wish to expand in their own way are redundant. It would be really quite cool to see space marine and star troopers stomping around and deploying from thunderhawk gunships, and for those of a more realistic nature they have the military addons. So don't limit yourself go to town!

Yes I would love to see WH40K vehicles & units in the game, although at first it would be good if O2 modders would make some real life units & vehicles.

gallery_bc_russ.jpg

I have been plugging away at that idea since I came to this forum.

But why stop at war games? The OFP engine could be used for any game. How about a Detective series.

Or Films. Or training fire or rescue personel. Your imagination is the only limit.

Why not virtual worlds. With the OFP engine, its mission editor, Oxygen and wrpedit or visitor; you can make whatever you want.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ May 13 2002,19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or training fire or rescue personel<span id='postcolor'>

"Ahh, I just fell through the house floor!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ May 13 2002,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ May 13 2002,19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or training fire or rescue personel<span id='postcolor'>

"Ahh, I just fell through the house floor!"<span id='postcolor'>

Must be those burned through floor joists.

Maybe you could do 'The Mystery of the Hand Grenades that explode on impact'!

Uh, hate to break your bubble, but Oxgyen is not the be-all-end-all program for OFP. It deals with models, but not terrains or with the actual animations of soldiers.

That's one reason why you don't see anyone making animals for OFP. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's not very likely unless BIS creates some new animations.

Also as far as Sci-Fi mods go, how are you going to simulate flying in space??? Unless some VERY clever programmers figure out how to combine a space sim with OFP, I don't think it's going to happen. However other type games like a mystery type game would be feasible. Also many historical wars like WWII, the Falklands War, the Vietnam War, the various Middle East wars, ect... would all be feasible. But it ends at WWI for the most part. Stuff like bayonets and other hand to hand combat weapons have not been implemented by BIS and I am very doubtful that anyone could make such a thing without help from BIS. Personally I would love to see some kind of hand to hand combat engine implemented into the OFP graphics engine. I would like to march with the Roman Legion upon Carthage or simulate battles of the American Civil War. Stuff like that would be fantastic. If MOD groups can't do it, I hope BIS will be the pioneers to do so and take the OFP engine to the next level, because currently MOD groups alone can not do it without help from BIS.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Aliens would make an excellent OFP scifi mod.

My favourite thing about that movie (my all time fave BTW) was the colonial marines. It shouldnt be that hard to do an Aliens: Colonial Marines mod with the right tools, just think about it:

M16/M203 = M41A Pulse Rifle

M60 = Smart Gun

AH-64 = Drop Ship

M2A2 = APC (?)

The xenos could be based on soldier models/animations, doing damage by proximity to simulate claws/teeth/tail...

Even if the aliens are too tough to convert into OFP, anyone who has the Aliens RPG or read the novels or dark horse comics knows there is a whole range of other enemies the marines could face: rebel colonies/terraformers (resistance) etc. And when WRP edit is released, it shouldn't be too hard to create some bizarre alien landscapes...*sigh* maybe I am just dreaming...

Stargate would also make a cool mod... smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ May 13 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ May 13 2002,19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or training fire or rescue personel<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, through the wall. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 14 2002,10:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ May 13 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ May 13 2002,19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or training fire or rescue personel<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, through the wall.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Or when they go fight a fire in real life they will start thinking they can walk though walls and or heal injured people in 5 seconds

wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ May 13 2002,20wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><snip>

Also as far as Sci-Fi mods go, how are you going to simulate flying in space???  Unless some VERY clever programmers figure out how to combine a space sim with OFP, I don't think it's going to happen

<snip><span id='postcolor'>

OFP is also limited in simulation of full scale battles of today, eg. with naval battles or heavy air battles. In every war today you have to send in ground forces to finish the job and that is where OFP starts. Why should that change for any SciFi Mod? As StarWars has shown before and as we will see in Episode2 in the end there are the StormTroopers and droids with all their equipement trying to finish what might have started somewhere in space.

Major Fubar, this ones for you biggrin.gif

I actually made this a couple of months back, with the intention of eventaully getting it into OFP.

Its lacking a few details and such, but when I have some free time ill see if i can get it textured, and then imported.

I think that a Colonial Marines mod would be great for OFP biggrin.gif

APC1.jpg

Another pic here

Thanks N.o.R.s.u smile.gif

I havent got oxygen yet, but I will have it quite soon.

Though my main priority will be getting wintermarch models into OFP, aswell as creating interiors for some of these vehicle models.

But any spare time i get ill chuck in the odd unrelated model where possible smile.gif

Hey, nice KingBeast!

If you get the mod going, let me know if you need any Aliens info...I've got freakin volumes of stuff about it...I'm an Aliens freak! smile.gif

Thanks Fubar smile.gif Im also a huge aliens fan, i remember a time when i could quote the entire script smile.gif lol But right now WM is my primary focus so i dont think il lbe starting or making a separate mod. Though i would always be happy to contribute to such a project.

To refine my origonal point; The ofp engine, providing you bear its limits constantly in mind when desiging new addons, could provide a weatlh of new units. The aliens idea sounds good although implement the xenomorphs themselves would be 'interesting' at best! However it is quite easy to get a myriad of new units based on the old 'templates' as I see them. To use a Warhammer 40,000 template:

Thunderhawk: Helicopter based, gunner and pilot, large troop payload and lots of different weapons, some aimable some not: abrams main gun, hydra rockets, and machine guns. Medium manoeverability.

Land speeder: helicopter base, high manouverability, gunner and pilot, rockets and machine gun.

Rhino: M113 type apc

Space marine: basic infanteer reskinned and rebuilt with increase armour and stats, bolter added with new ammunition.

etc.etc.

With this sort of basis nothing is really departing from the ofp engine and should fit in quite nicely, its a lot of work but it would be cool to see them in!

C3

As far as the Aliens idea is concenred, I dont really think it would be feasible to put the xenos into OFP. But it would be a nice idea to have the Colonial marines fighting against some other military power, or mercenaries/rebels etc.