Sign in to follow this  
MadMuppet006

lack of hitting power ..

I have been playing arma 2 for almost a year so decided to buy operation arrowhead.

I'm having lack of joy trying to hit anything at all .. or maybe hitting it and not killing it in the laser light scenario ..

as I am using the scope and laser lighting its pretty hard to miss someone close yet I have emptied an entire clip at someone with no result .. that goes for goats .. trees .. chicken

that's after running to a nice secure spot and lying down to steady the nerves .. the recoil while standing or crouching is insane ..

I wondering whether its a bug or I need a bigger gun??

any hints appreciated by this very dead virtual solider .. cheers

Edited by MadMuppet006
body position

I bought the game from a company over here called eb games so yeah its legit

to be sure in other scenarios and missions using different weapons I can kill and maim to hearts content .. this rifle being 7.62 I would expect most people to fall over after taking one let alone multiple hits ..

Edited by MadMuppet006
additional detail

I bought the game from a company over here called eb games so yeah its legit

to be sure in other scenarios and missions using different weapons I can kill and maim to hearts content .. this rifle being 7.62 I would expect most people to fall over after taking one let alone multiple hits ..

I believe you can play with the weapon configs to adjust wounding factors, but I am also new to OA as well and haven't played around with these settings as of yet.

However, with respect to accuracy - ability to hit where you aim, point of aim v. point of impact, the guns are dialed in at a specific distance, otherwise known as zero. You have to make sure you're dope is in, on some of the guns the zero is adjustable, pushing "Page Up" or "Page Down" will adjust the zero. This system simplifies the process in the real world of using a ballistic tables generated for the specific gun, ammo type, range, and windage, which is use for scope turret adjustments or knowledge for the shooter to hold-over make the shot.

Precision wise - ability to hit the same point again and again, are dependent on recoil management, which is simulated by stance, and rate of fire. Stance, movement running or walking, higher rates of fire over time will cause a continuing shift in your point of aim and corresponding your point of impact.

I also had a similar impression when testing and evaluating the game for the first time but not with respect to accuracy or precision, though I agree some of the recoil dynamics modeled could be tweaked more. Played with the weapons, see if I could actually use the BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) on the ACOGs or mildot scopes for range estimation or hold overs currently, and was impressed with the attention to detail of what BIS incorporated. After some simulated range/weapons familiarization, I generated a couple simple force-on-force missions, to test the game play, and was disappointed at the simulated terminal ballistics. At a range of 300-500 meters, it took three shots of 7.62 to take a target down. All three hits were center-of-mass, I expected one COM hit should have dropped at least some of the targets I had engaged, as the issue with plunging-fire, rounds coming in at a steep angle to the target, wasn't an issue at this range with 7.62. But then again I had to keep in mind that in real-life hunters often run into this problem with deer or large game, shot a deer and they continue to sprint for 50 meters or more before falling, and holds the same for the "two-legged type". So I suppose it is plausible for that to happen, for it to take three 7.62 shots, and BIS developers purposefully configured the wounding characteristics as so. While T&E some more, I naturally switched to a larger bore in the mission editor, changed from using a SCAR H to M107, placed couple auto reset/spring steel targets past 1,000 meters, to dial in, and then placed some OPFOR roughly in the same kill-zone, and engaged with disappointment that it also took a couple 50 cal hits to take a target down. Keep in mind these are default game settings, but I believe the A.C.E., among the many milsim aspect it adds, resolves or revamps the entire wounding system, though I haven't tried it just yet. So if it bothers you enough try using the ACE addon.

Edited by XDMerciless

you using any mods? Seems that some of them are causing issues with the weapons.

It is firing SD (subsonic) ammo, which means it has a high trajectory that may make you shoot high at close range and fall short past 100m.

And no way is a 12.7mm round at 1000m not a kill. And 7.62x51mm to center mass is always fatal at 300m in my experience.

Exceptions are that troops are more resistant to instant death when lying down, the groin and lower abdomen aren't one-hit kill zones, bullets do not penetrate limbs properly, and ricochets do very little damage.

Edit: Just tested, and 7.62x41mm is deadly out to at least 440m, shots to the torso. I'm pretty sure 7.62x54mm is the same way, but the PSO-1 scope made verification difficult. Re-examine your mods and your methods.

An M107 round kills at 1000m as well. Just not in the leg.

Edited by maturin

Was it a used version bought at EB Games, or a new one?

It is firing SD (subsonic) ammo, which means it has a high trajectory that may make you shoot high at close range and fall short past 100m.

And no way is a 12.7mm round at 1000m not a kill. And 7.62x51mm to center mass is always fatal at 300m in my experience.

Exceptions are that troops are more resistant to instant death when lying down, the groin and lower abdomen aren't one-hit kill zones, bullets do not penetrate limbs properly, and ricochets do very little damage.

Edit: Just tested, and 7.62x41mm is deadly out to at least 440m, shots to the torso. I'm pretty sure 7.62x54mm is the same way, but the PSO-1 scope made verification difficult. Re-examine your mods and your methods.

An M107 round kills at 1000m as well. Just not in the leg.

Also re-tested, and confirmed the same results on a flat range opposed to the inclined plane. The discrepancy was I misjudged the distance, and didn't factor in the elevation that I was shooting from. Also oriented the targets in different directions, for COM hit but through a limb, and you're right doesn't simulate penetration through limbs properly.

Back to the original post, could you provide more specifics? What gun, distance, etc. Sounds like you were shooting in low-light/night, and were relatively close at say <50m from targets?

Several m8s had the same problem, maybe we can fix it here in the same way.

Move ingame to "options"->"game options"->"floating area" adjust the slider to almost left.

Sry not sure what it is in english, as i play on a german version.

The floating area makes you to aimmore precisely.

If that still doesnt work check the mouse smoothness under controls.

I pressume u bought a legit copy, from whatever shop it was, and fade is not kickin in here.

Floating area does nothing to make your aim more precise or imprecise... All it does is gives you additional freedom of movement with your rifle.

It can however 'make' you imprecise if you don't know how to use it. I played Red Orchestra: Ostfront when it came out... And I loved that feature, took a bit of getting used to, but it became so useful once you understood it. It was also a pseudo-prevention technique to prevent newbies from run'n'gun as effectively with SMGs.

It can however 'make' you imprecise if you don't know how to use it. I played Red Orchestra: Ostfront when it came out... And I loved that feature, took a bit of getting used to, but it became so useful once you understood it.

How can it become more useful than having no floating zone?

With no floating zone, your gun is always pointed at the same central point on the screen. You could stick something there and have a virtual crosshair. Or you could just get good at judging where the center of your screen is, which is a lot easier than eyeballing the angle between front annd back sights, then extrapolating that into digital space.

I played Red Orchestra: Ostfront when it came out... And I loved that feature, took a bit of getting used to,

but it became so useful once you understood it. It was also a pseudo-prevention technique to prevent newbies from run'n'gun as effectively with SMGs.

Same here.

But I know Silenced weapons ingame are almost useless to a degree and you will have a hard time killing anything

unless the bullet size is decent, and or you are within range, you could empty a clip or half of one on an enemy.

I have just come out of playing in editor mode and with the same rifle .. it took a minimum of 8 hits to put the ai down. I take it that when the ai says blue on blue I have hit the ai ..:p

so its not a case of am I hitting what I am aiming at .. it is that the rifle does not have sufficient knockdown power ..

the non silenced version was much better when I used it as a comparison in editor ..

I have played hike in the hills and got through ok .. and some missions that I have downloaded but this one in particular my rifle does not knockdown the bad guys .. which is not a good feeling when they start looking in my direction ..

I just played through the Light Show mission using the latest beta. 1-2 shots was enough to kill the enemy using the default weapon you start the mission with. Are you sure you're not running any mods?

problem solved .. thanks for the help by all .. it was one mod too many .. removed it from the target line in the shortcut and I can play again ..

currently running -nosplash -world=empty -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@VOP;@zcommon_ace