Sign in to follow this  
HateDread

Recommended Joystick for ArmA 2, Battlefield, Etc?

Howdy all,

As the title says, I'm after a joystick for games like ArmA and the Battlefield series, wherein both I just love flying (mainly helichopptas).

My current Logitech Wingman Extreme has served me well for many many years, but the yaw is out (default yaw to right side). I'm looking for similar longevity. Currently on Windows XP SP3 (I've heard some joysticks have compatibility problems).

I currently have $100 AUD specifically to spend at Harvey Norman (Yay for Christmas gift cards), but I can be semi-flexible with budget.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Cheers,

- HateDread.

Edited by HateDread

maybe just go in and choose one? i'm not all that technical i'll just say that looks cool so its mine now lol

I can heartily recommend the Thrustmaster Cougar, but it's very probably more joystick than most people want or need :) very expensive, but I always use it so I got my money's worth.

I was thinking more along the lines of;

- Wingman Extreme 3D Pro; or

- Saitek Cyborg Evo.

Those kind of things fit my price-range very well, but I'm open to suggestions :)

For ArmA or Battlefiedl you wont need something like a HOTAS. Just walk into the shop and choose one you like. It doesn't need to be all technical and fancy if you're not gonna use it for things like Falcon, DCS or other flight sims.

I use the Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro Joystick, it's an old veteren joystick but still the best.

I also have the Logitech Extreme 3d.

Both work very well you need a 'twist' grip as a minimum for flying helo's, and even tho Ben says a Hotas isn't required I link my to view, and find it very useful etc.

So, Eble, something like the Sidewinder 3D Pro or Sidewinder 2 would be a good option for ArmA?

Honestly, the specifics won't be that good in the store, I'm thinking, so apart from particular model recommendations, brand suggestions are also good (Microsoft, Saitek, etc).

Microsoft doesn't produce their Joysticks anymore as far as I know, so all you can still find are leftovers. Might be hard to find one.

I own a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and it works good, but I wouldn't buy it again now. Just small nitpicks, but still: The twist grip and throttle both need a small deadzone (2-3%) because they are not exact enough on my model and the 3 others friends/family use. If you only fly the other fault one is no problem, mine works since years: My brother plays FIFA with it too and so the stick gets a lot more wear. Everytime you push the stick to the front fully the sensor for the x-axis hits the casing from inside. After a year the sensor wasn't properly in place and had some movement on his own.

I would look for a Saitek stick now, haven't used one for years but another friend is happy with some new Cyborg. Most of them can be adjusted for left/right handers and hand size etc.

Had a Saitek ST290 Pro for years, never looked back. It's not programmable like a lot of sticks these days, but I don't see that as a problem. I never understood the appeal of setting buttons to copy keyboard actions, instead of just binding the action to the button ingame.

This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Aviator-Throttle-Joystick-PS33/dp/B000I62PEK

It's not excellent, but it works. The switches on the bottom panel are good for switching weapons and stuff, but note that they don't lock in place... you just kinda flick them up or down and they'll recenter themselves. The buttons on the top can be used for VOIP and there's a button that you can use to look up, down, side to side or diagonal (useful for the Arma series).

Overall, though, I'm not a flight enthusiast so I hardly use the joystick. But for the price, I certainly don't regret buying it. If I decide to use it more in the future then I'll be glad to have it, otherwise it'll be sitting in my big desk drawer.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Thing is, I still want to keep my options open to my current flight setup, which is to control most flight with the joystick in my right hand, but pedaling in the heli, and throttle, with the left hand. Looks like the Cyborg X, which apparently needs both hands, is out.

Further suggestions are still welcome :)