Sign in to follow this  
-=2RTR=- Somnus

Setting shodows to 128x 128??? Is there a way?

alreet lads...?

I've been trying to find if there is a way to set the shadow resolution to 128x128 or just a nice low setting? Is there a way to do this?

I always do this for any game released by Bethesda... Max out all graphics and set shadow resolution to the lowest... Helps out in scenes where you have tones of things flying around a battlefield etc...

Anyways... Cheers for any reply's!

thanks for that...

I know I can do that but you loose shadows on most objects... I wanna keep shadows on everything and projecting from house gutters, etc but at a super low res for speed...

Why is this in the mod discussion forum?

IIRC, the shadow settings are just for the engine to know, if the CPU or GPU should render shadows.

Low: CPU

Normal: CPU

High: GPU

Why is this in the mod discussion forum?

Because it may need to be an .ini edit?

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

IIRC, the shadow settings are just for the engine to know, if the CPU or GPU should render shadows.

Low: CPU

Normal: CPU

High: GPU

I was unaware that, that is how it worked... Brilliant! Learn something new everyday... Except yesterday... And the day before that... :j:

Edited by sabelzahntiger

alreet lads...?

I've been trying to find if there is a way to set the shadow resolution to 128x128 or just a nice low setting? Is there a way to do this?

I always do this for any game released by Bethesda... Max out all graphics and set shadow resolution to the lowest... Helps out in scenes where you have tones of things flying around a battlefield etc...

Anyways... Cheers for any reply's!

Don't mind the ones that have no real idea what you really talking about..

While true about the ingame shadow settings (low would use CPU for rendering shadows, while above settings will force GPU to render those (softshadows included), what you want, change the map size from the (most likely 512/512) to a smaller size might be possible using an external .dll file (armalib), but i am not aware of such setting being available to edit in any of arma .cfg or other files.

If you want more information about it, i suggest you contact one developers (dwarden for instance).

@PUFU

That's exactly what I was looking for... So you recon it's in a .dll?

Fiddlesticks! Oh well... Cheers again for the heads-up... Legend!

Just a heads-up; we have .PBOs and .CFGs here, not .DLLs and .INIs (unless of course, you use extra library stuff like armalib, as Pufu mentioned, but generally that's a rarity) ;)

Shadows are part of the LOD family within the addon , the shadow LOD's get progressively less detail just like the view LOD's but the standard seems to be just 2 with BIS models as apposed to 5 or 6 view LOD's .

When you set shadows to high the engine will use the most detailed LOD when it can , dropping down to the lower one if the scene demands . Set to low the engine will use the lower LOD . The shadow is not measured in texture size rather model complexity .

...i think :butbut:

One of the shadow modes calculates a shadow from the Res lods,

Where the rest use the shadow lods and use the gpu..

At least that's what I heard.

Roger...

Seems like a really demanding way to render shadows...? In STALKER they seem to render really fast with minimum frame drop... Via a light source...

Anyone who knows more then I on the subject care to comment??? Always trying to learn more about this stuff... Should probably get a course under my belt... Art Institute or something...

Medium shadows look plain ugly. Bushes / trees have big shadow squares underneath them.

At High setting the shadows look pretty decent imo.