Sign in to follow this  
WTFonslaught

Feature request!

I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the default maximum viewing distance as a performance option?

I realise some missions are meant to be played in murky conditions (fog etc). However an option to set an increase for the default viewing distance for maps, unless specifically set for a particular map would be great imo.

cheers

[WTF]onslaught

I completely agree with you onslaught.

The game looks so much better if you bump up your viewdistance. But MP/DM players always get sand up their asses when you ask for this, because apparently it's "cheating" (I still dont get this, to me it's no different than high deatial or resolution settings). But if they are so concerned with it, it could always be overidden in specific missions.

As far as I'm concerned, this should be an option in the prefernces menu.

It should be a per-mission option and mission makers should have the option to code something to lock out any changes, for example, in a mission where a view distance setting is an integral part of the mission.

Fubar you dont get why its cheating? Well easy because you can look further then some people...in case you can see an UH-60 arrive and shoot it down with your tank or something before the UH-60 can even see you come

I suppose you could use radiocommands to trigger a little script that would increase or decrease viewdistance, but then it would only work for a specific mission.

I once asked if this was possible in the 'editing' room, and there were no one who said it could'nt be done,though I've never did try it out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (azalin @ May 09 2002,11:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suppose you could use radiocommands to trigger a little script that would increase or decrease viewdistance, but then it would only work for a specific mission.<span id='postcolor'>

Does this mean that it can changed on the fly?  If so, Im suprised that there arent missions with thick fog early in the morning that progressively dissapears as the sun rises.. anyway..

Surely someone who plays the game at 1600x1200 has an advantage over someone playing at 640x480.. how is this different?

** OOPS.. soz Fubar.. didnt see you raise the same point.. btw, good to see some other Victorians on the forum.

from top of my foggy head

theoretically, we need 2 variables, both global.

then someone can use 2 radio triggers, one increasing view distance and another decreasing, that is available repeatedly. then when trigger is activated, it will increase the amount of a number, send it out as globalVariable, and then send out another globalVariable boollean that tells other computers to update view distance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WTFonslaught @ May 09 2002,16:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does this mean that it can changed on the fly?  If so, Im suprised that there arent missions with thick fog early in the morning that progressively dissapears as the sun rises.. anyway..<span id='postcolor'>

I have seen many missions that change the fog/weather as time passes, it can be done even without viewdistance command directly from the editor using the weather forecast sliders.

But, I think the viewdistance is good by being set by the mission maker, just as the fog setting. For example, with a mission that has alot of fog on purpose to make it hard an option to increase the viewdistance would make all the fog go away which would ruin the mission.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Speeeedy @ May 09 2002,09:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fubar you dont get why its cheating? Well easy because you can look further then some people...in case you can see an UH-60 arrive and shoot it down with your tank or something before the UH-60 can even see you come<span id='postcolor'>

Well, setting your resolution high and detail level high also gives you an advantage, should these be controlled ingame rather than user settings also?

If you are talking multiplayer adversarial, like I said, it could be set in mission so that everyone has the same view distance, overriding user settings.

In singleplayer, the AI could be set to have identical viewdistance to the player.

I don't see a problem with this...

I agree.

I hate to say it for fear of the massive flames, but when we are flying around in all the new shiny jets, better range would be nice tounge.gif Right now its kinda unrealistic imo

umm... add this to options plz.

for multiplayer games, make it a server variable or everyone just uses the hosts setting!

I only discovered the setviewdistance option relatively recently, and I was completely blown away by how much better the game looked.

As a sidenote, I was thinking of giving the snipers in my missions a slight view distance bonus to reflect their specialty and keen eyesight. What do you think, is this a reasonable idea?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ May 13 2002,16:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viva la Resistance!<span id='postcolor'>

Marek, you're spamming commercial promos for your company product. You wanna get banned by Hilandor, huh, huh?! wow.giftounge.gif

What's this resistance thing he's whittering on about? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ May 13 2002,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's this resistance thing he's whittering on about? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif Placebo's alive! wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ May 13 2002,15:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viva la Resistance!<span id='postcolor'>

Is that a cryptic way of saying that some sort of new view distance feature will be added in Resistance? I really hope so. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 13 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ May 13 2002,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's this resistance thing he's whittering on about? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif  Placebo's alive!  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL did anyone think otherwise? I keep popping back now and then to close a thread or two so people know I'm still around wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ May 13 2002,16:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ May 13 2002,15:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viva la Resistance!<span id='postcolor'>

Is that a cryptic way of saying that some sort of new view distance feature will be added in Resistance? I really hope so.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No!

He just wanted to express, that they are all playing Resistance and they can't think of anything else at this moment. Maybe he wanted to say something useful, but the Resistance Addon is for BIS what Duff is for Homer Simpson smile.giftounge.gifbiggrin.gif

*sits drooling on his desk looking forward to Resistance*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ May 13 2002,16:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ May 13 2002,15:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viva la Resistance!<span id='postcolor'>

Is that a cryptic way of saying that some sort of new view distance feature will be added in Resistance? I really hope so.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's it!

Smart thinking. smile.gifbiggrin.gif