Sign in to follow this  
code34

CO40 - War in Takistan: Operation Iron rains (WIT)

Ok. I've scrapped my fork for now. Too many changes to keep War In Lingor up to date. Once you have finished your refactoring I will have another look. Good luck with it :)

a big part of it was commited yesterday. Only design purpose, i'm not sure for now that it wil stay totaly in this state, some class should be moved from module to functions.

All feedbacks about this refactoring would be appreciated.

a big part of it was commited yesterday. Only design purpose, i'm not sure for now that it wil stay totaly in this state, some class should be moved from module to functions.

All feedbacks about this refactoring would be appreciated.

Well my main feedback is that I love War in Takistan. I can understand the desire to refactor and it is probably the right thing to do. My problem was that I started a fork without using git and it just became too tricky to keep the two in sync. Once your refactoring is stable then it is worth me doing again. Properly this time :)

My main requests in general are:

1. Options to include friendly forces when scoping a mission in createsidemission (it makes the firefights more fun) - for instance in Lingor I have missions where you have to defend one of the Presidential Palaces and it makes sense that the President, some friendly soldiers and some random civilians on the scene.

2. Options to publicly call createconvoy and have it accept start and end variables.

3. Options to allow the admin to set the state of all vehicles to locked and unlocked.

4. A new character type to add to Engineer and Medic of "Commander" who can lock/unlock vehicles (like Engineer) and also can chose missions (I added that into my version and it proved really popular).

My aim with War in Lingor fork was to create a campaign more focussed on the "War on Drugs" so I made lots of side missions to arrest cartel people, protect friendly civilians, seize/destroy drug shipments, defend key public facilities, that kind of thing :)

Anyway those are all suggestions - what you do is of course up to you :)

Well my main feedback is that I love War in Takistan. I can understand the desire to refactor and it is probably the right thing to do. My problem was that I started a fork without using git and it just became too tricky to keep the two in sync. Once your refactoring is stable then it is worth me doing again. Properly this time :)

My main requests in general are:

1. Options to include friendly forces when scoping a mission in createsidemission (it makes the firefights more fun) - for instance in Lingor I have missions where you have to defend one of the Presidential Palaces and it makes sense that the President, some friendly soldiers and some random civilians on the scene.

2. Options to publicly call createconvoy and have it accept start and end variables.

3. Options to allow the admin to set the state of all vehicles to locked and unlocked.

4. A new character type to add to Engineer and Medic of "Commander" who can lock/unlock vehicles (like Engineer) and also can chose missions (I added that into my version and it proved really popular).

My aim with War in Lingor fork was to create a campaign more focussed on the "War on Drugs" so I made lots of side missions to arrest cartel people, protect friendly civilians, seize/destroy drug shipments, defend key public facilities, that kind of thing :)

Anyway those are all suggestions - what you do is of course up to you :)

yes, it's hard to follow the main branch without git. I think you should talk about it with guys whom use fork with Git.

If i well undestand they fork the main project, and create a branch, after that they merge the branch with the main project certainly (but i m not sure)

The benefit of the last refactoring are not visibile but i think in the next days, we will gain some feature cause the new architecture uses modules instead of big code block.

Concerning the request, i have to think about it, cause it also the benefit of fork to give more additionnal interesting feature.

Concerning the request, i have to think about it, cause it also the benefit of fork to give more additionnal interesting feature.

Makes sense - you want a nice stable core :)

you can send me your file, i will compare it and see if i can introduce some of the changes :)

Will you release it? It will be cool

Will you release it? It will be cool

Absolutely - I will release a 0.2 version once code34 has finished his current refactoring :)

most of the job is done, now it should be fixing of scripts :)

Just for the fun, i did a POC last night :)

This a real, physical object that i builded with an electronical board which connects on the USB port, and interracts with the arma game.

This object is an IED DETECTOR that prints alarms depending of IED Distance

Edited by code34

Just for the fun, i did a POC last night :)

How much more do you have to do before you have finished your refactoring? And have you introduced any new variables we can play with? :D

yes, i don't know what version was your lastest reference but i add often new variables in commoninit :)

Normaly, much of possible balance choice should be in this file now.

About the re factoring, it's a big task. I already most of it. Now i do work on fixing somes issues and add somes other features.

I shall clone the latest version of the git and check it out :)

yes, i don't know what version was your lastest reference but i add often new variables in commoninit :)

Normaly, much of possible balance choice should be in this file now.

About the re factoring, it's a big task. I already most of it. Now i do work on fixing somes issues and add somes other features.

I shall clone the latest version of the git and check it out :)

yes, you can do it at your own risk :) this one is the best ever made : ))

Just build an other real electronical object used with the warcontext engine of wit :)

Edited by code34

Hi code34: my first pass remake of War in Lingor is going well. I hope to have a version to share soon :)

I found a missing file:

warcontext\WC_fnc_ambiantlife.sqf

is requested, but not found :(

Edit: Ah it was more than 1 missing file:

19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_ambiantlife.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_antiair.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_createcomposition.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_creategroup.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_createmortuary.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_createnuclearfire.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_createcivilcar.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_createammobox.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\functions\WC_fnc_weather.sqf not found
19:58:24 Warning Message: Script warcontext\WC_fnc_lifeslider.sqf not found

and... when generating missions it only seems to generate mission 17 - but annoyingly it doesn't throw an error:

case 17: {
		_missiontext = [_missionname, "Destroy the drugs factory"];
		_vehicle = createVehicle ["TK_WarfareBHeavyFactory_Base_EP1", _position, [], 0, "NONE"];
		wcgarbage = [_vehicle] spawn WC_fnc_protectobject;
		_missiontype = "destroy";
		wcbonusfame = 0;
	};

I tested this 20+ times on my dedicated server and it only generated mission 17 - no other missions at all. I have added in missions but they are at the end of the mission list. I've not touched the first set of missions:

20:02:49 "WARCONTEXT: INITIALIZING MISSION"
20:02:50 Old style material 204 used in ReportStack not available
20:02:50 Old style material 205 used in ReportStack not available
20:03:09 "WARCONTEXT: COMPUTING 30 ZONES"
20:03:09 "--------------------------------"
20:03:09 "UPSMON started"
20:03:10 "WARCONTEXT: GENERATE 1 SEA PATROL: ibr_gunboat_arl"
20:03:13 "WARCONTEXT: DEDICATED SERVER V1.6"
20:03:13 "WARCONTEXT: MISSION LIST: 17"
20:03:14 "WARCONTEXT: MISSION LIST: 17"
20:03:16 "WARCONTEXT: MISSION LIST: 17"
20:03:18 "WARCONTEXT: MISSION LIST: 17"
20:03:19 "WARCONTEXT: MISSION LIST: 17"
20:03:20 "WARCONTEXT: MISSION LIST: 17"
20:03:21 "WARCONTEXT: MISSION LIST: 17"

etc.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

The broken sqf calls seem to be in cfgwarcontext.h:

war-in-takistan\warcontext\cfgwarcontext.h
Line 26: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_ambiantlife.sqf";
Line 31: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_antiair.sqf";
Line 36: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_createcomposition.sqf";
Line 41: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_creategroup.sqf";
Line 46: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_createmortuary.sqf";
Line 51: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_createnuclearfire.sqf";
Line 66: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_createcivilcar.sqf";
Line 71: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_createammobox.sqf";
Line 219: file = "warcontext\functions\WC_fnc_weather.sqf";
Line 227: file = "warcontext\WC_fnc_lifeslider.sqf";

hope that helps!

Edited by slerbal
more bugs

for the first point, pull the last init.sqf file from git 1.6. It certainly doesn't contain the last change.

for the mission 17, you can edit the WC_fnc_createlistofmissions.sqf. I blocked the mission on this point for debug purpose.

you just have to delete the line:

_missionnumber = 17;

:)

edit: you are right for the first point. This file is used for debug real time help instruction. I don't update yet for the moment :)

Edited by code34

for the first point, pull the last init.sqf file from git 1.6. It certainly doesn't contain the last change.

for the mission 17, you can edit the WC_fnc_createlistofmissions.sqf. I blocked the mission on this point for debug purpose.

you just have to delete the line:

_missionnumber = 17;

:)

edit: you are right for the first point. This file is used for debug real time help instruction. I don't update yet for the moment :)

oooh having a debug mission option is really useful for testing - so that is both a helpful fix and useful tool for me :)

I really like the refactored code, by the way, it is much clearer to read and edit and the files are much better organised!

oooh having a debug mission option is really useful for testing - so that is both a helpful fix and useful tool for me :)

I really like the refactored code, by the way, it is much clearer to read and edit and the files are much better organised!

yes this is the simple way to override the code at this place cause you fill the array of mission with only the one you choose :)

yes, it s better than before, it should permit other optimization in futur.

So far so good! Thanks for adding in variables such as "wcleaveareasizeatendofmission" it makes fine-tuning for islands such as Lingor much easier.

I want to make a script for generating some friendly soldiers in some of the missions. Any suggestions, recommendations or advice?

The aim is to make some of the missions be firefights already in progress for the players to get in the middle of :)

So far so good! Thanks for adding in variables such as "wcleaveareasizeatendofmission" it makes fine-tuning for islands such as Lingor much easier.

I want to make a script for generating some friendly soldiers in some of the missions. Any suggestions, recommendations or advice?

The aim is to make some of the missions be firefights already in progress for the players to get in the middle of :)

the best way is to pop patrol in the same way as enemy patrol, and use WC the patrol script. I have to change it to be use with west soldiers

the best way is to pop patrol in the same way as enemy patrol, and use WC the patrol script. I have to change it to be use with west soldiers

Awesome! Once that is in I will tag my first release of War in Lingor on github and upload the pbo :)

Awesome! Once that is in I will tag my first release of War in Lingor on github and upload the pbo :)

Recent improvements terrify me. Students surpassed the master. I have concerns that this mission become so elitist that person is no longer able to play.

I think I'll steer the game to become only simulation and addresses the training of armed groups.

Recent improvements terrify me. Students surpassed the master. I have concerns that this mission become so elitist that person is no longer able to play.

I think I'll steer the game to become only simulation and addresses the training of armed groups.

I'm confused? Don't steer it away from being a fun game :)

I've been trying to make sure it isn't elitist - my version (like yours) doesn't require ACE or anything other than the basic Lingor mods (given it is set on Lingor).

I was only going to tag it / upload the PBO to github as it is a convenient location for folks to download to try it out before I stick it on Armaholic (and then only if you say I can - after all it is 99.9% still your version of War in Takistan - mine is just the most shallow of tweaks!)

Edit: My fork is here for comparison: https://github.com/brokenshield/war-in-takistan/tree/1.6 you will be able to see that the changes I've made are all narrative rather than code - I made a few new Lingor specific missions, tweaked some of stringtable that kind of thing :)

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Of course what you do with it is up to you, though I do think 90% of folks who use it do so in the same way most people play Arma2. But if you do want to make it into a simulation or VBS rather than Arma2 could you do so after you release the next version? (i.e. after 1.6 becomes the main release) :)

Edited by slerbal
github link

don't be worried of :) Many of improvements are already done in 1.6 perhaps you don't see it.

One time, players will see the difference in details when they play more in realism than arcade

It's like we like it :)

don't be worried of :) Many of improvements are already done in 1.6 perhaps you don't see it.

One time, players will see the difference in details when they play more in realism than arcade

It's like we like it :)

Yay! Also, phew! I really love War in Takistan - you have made such a cool framework for missions :)