Sign in to follow this  
lykurgos88

Grenades are useless in Operation Arrowhead because of a bug

Has anyone noticed the horribly short range when throwing grenades in Operation Arrowhead (1.55)? I mean, they are more dangerous to the player than they are to the enemy. Also the "running throw" animation is bugged compared to vanilla Arma2 1.08: The player starts to run and throw the grenade but no Grenades are spawned from the hand and immediately after that the player freezes and makes a rapid normal throwing animation and this time actually throws the grenade.

The problem is probably better demonstrated in this video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUbmRmWS_4

Edited by Lykurgos88
Typo

Has anyone noticed the horribly short range when throwing grenades in Operation Arrowhead (1.55)? I mean, they are more dangerous to the player than they are to the enemy.

Have you ever tried to press the mouse button a little bit longer? The longer you hold the button the farther away the grenade will be thrown.

Also the "running throw" animation is bugged compared to vanilla Arma2 1.08: The player starts to run and throw the grenade but no Grenades are spawned from the hand and immediately after that the player freezes and makes a rapid normal throwing animation and this time actually throws the grenade.

The problem is probably better demonstrated in this video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUbmRmWS_4

Yeah I'm having this problem, too, since v1.00 (OA). Never has been fixed nor I have seen it reported.

Yeah, in Operation Arrowhead you can dose the distance you want to throw the grenade.

This is especially useful when you stand at a wall and want to throw a grenade to the other side. Shoulder at the wall, look up, click shortly and it will land right on the other side. Good stuff!

But throwing while running is not possible, or is it? It was in OFP and ist was in ArmA. Why not in A2?

Edited by Undeceived

It is not a bug if a user does not understand how the games works! Grenades did never work better and where never more usefull in the whole series before OA.

Okay, I didn't really know about the "holding button" thing. It's actually great improvement!

But it still doesn't remove the "running throw" animation bug. Did you watch the video?

EDIT: Oh, and in case you didn't know how to run&throw, press down shift while throwing.

Edited by Lykurgos88

I'm surprised noone has mentioned the rubber physics. Bouncing nades galore.

-k

Yeah, that shits me too. I asked BigDawgKS to port his awesome OFP nades over, but Satan intervened and apparently it is difficult to say the least.

...although the awesome grenades from ECP would be a welcome addition, if someone wanted to take a tilt at it.

Not only does holding the mouse button increase the range, but don't forget to angle your viewpoint upwards to around 45 degrees and that'll be the angle it'll leave the throwers hand.

Incidentally apart from the green circle, there's also a small green dot lower down to help gauge your angle.

Just keep practising..:)

Yeah, most of my team buddies are killed by friendly grenades especially in coner to coner fight with enemies. Furthermore, the grenade performance in rooms is also depressing, it can penetrate floor and won't exert damage to the units uppon it.

Using grenades in Arma is very exiting at the moment. they bounce back like tennisballs on the tiniest forrest twig, if you stand in front of a tall dorway, the character may throw it up above the door opening,

throw it while peeking around a corner, and it may not go around the corner at all, but bounce back on the close wall and end up behind you.

Edited by sparks50

A suggestion to Bohemia:

A progress bar should be implemented which indicates the throw range. It should fill up as long as player holds the button.

The "aiming circle" will get larger the longer you hold the button down. This is a progress bar of sorts.

Still, throwing grenades in ArmA is always a dangerous affair. The "physics" are utterly unpredictable, and it's very difficult to get a feel for exactly where you're aiming, particularly at short distances. Something that would be really simple in reality, like tossing a grenade through a window into a room, is extraordinarily challenging and potentially suicidal in ArmA.

The press and hold is a great addition, but I still think they could improve it.

Keep press and hold like it is.

Add a single quick click for a over the wall lob with a faster animation and a double click mod for quick sideways throw into a door or similar.

Other than fragging myself occasionally because I forget about the new system I think it works great, just takes some practice.

A suggestion to Bohemia:

A progress bar should be implemented which indicates the throw range. It should fill up as long as player holds the button.

Theres no need for a bar indicator, just practice. Well maybe as an option for recruit or regular difficult, but not for veteran and expert. Or maybe a turn Off/On option in the settings