Sign in to follow this  
victim913

Questions about bombs/targeting

To make this short, I am wondering if I am possibly using the wrong buttons to target enemies.

I have been flying a bunch of jets to see how all the different weapons work but a couple things keep bothering me.

Aren't paveways laser guided bombs? So when flying in the AV8B (LGB) I have my cannons selected. I come up to a bunch of tanks. I usually push my "caps lock" which is my "next target" button. With my cannons ready I push the button and a green box shows up on one of the tanks. So i can use that to see where he is (since he is too far to see very good.

But when i switch to my paveways, the box goes away. I keep pushing my "next target" button but no boxes come up. I have to guess where i think they are and drop the paveways as free falls. Yet when usinng air to air missles i can lock on a tank, also if i have my rockets armed I still get the green box over the tanks. It doesn't have the green circle showing a lock but it still has the target in the target box.

So my question is why can't I lock on anything with paveways.? No matter what aircraft i am in. Even using the rksl weapons, they have all different kind of paveways, but only one kind will lock. Even free fall bombs will show a green box.

So maybe someone can straighten me out? Either I am pushing the wrong button to lock on targets or they aren't lockable.

What do i do when i want to lock on to ground targets?

Thanks

If you want to use the full potential of Paveway bombs, then you need someone on the ground painting the target with a laser. Then you can lock on the laser

As Tonci87 says you need someone with a laser designator for most LGBs.

The PavewayIV in the RKSL Air Weapons pack is the exception since the PWIV has both laser and GPS seekeer modes.

Hi, when you've someone on the ground pointing at the targets with the Laser Designator you'll see (as pilot of the AV-8B II+ (LGB) ) a lockable box saying "Laser Target" and you'll only have to release the bomb.

If you use or have an AI to enlight the targets with the LD you may have "problems" because of the AI, after point to a valid objective if you destroy it, the AIs use to move with the LD on the hands and with it On, so you'll see for a while an unvalid target that you can't verify from the air; if you drop a bomb on this condidions... you'll more likely ending hitting the AI with the LD and any friendly arround it, it's not safe to use an AI for manning the LD unless the whole thing be well scripted. It's very common that after end with the CAS thing, the AI with the LD stays with it turned On, on the hands. Let's C ya

Thanks those all make sense.

But why do i get that green box over targets when using guns or dumbombs but not the LGBs?

Using the cannon obviously i am not locking but why can't i still have that when using paveways? It's just easy so i can see the target especially when far away. Its like calling out a target to a teamate. If I can get a target box with guns and rockets why can't i get it with every weapon?

Is it possible it is like that so that when someone is painting a target I will target only that target instead of targeting something else because it is more in my line of sight?

Thanks

Thanks those all make sense.

But why do i get that green box over targets when using guns or dumbombs but not the LGBs?

Using the cannon obviously i am not locking but why can't i still have that when using paveways? It's just easy so i can see the target especially when far away. Its like calling out a target to a teamate. If I can get a target box with guns and rockets why can't i get it with every weapon?

Is it possible it is like that so that when someone is painting a target I will target only that target instead of targeting something else because it is more in my line of sight?

Thanks

Because OA is not a perfect simulation. It has many, many flaws in the plattform and weapons handling department...the funny thing is....the unguided dumb bombs on the Su-25 or Mi-24 practically work like LGBs.

If this bothers you, play with ACE, I can´t hit s** with the unguided bombs there.....

...But why do i get that green box over targets when using guns or dumbombs but not the LGBs?

It's becuase of the weapon's config. Some weapons like the cannon can lock IR targets. Other lasers. Some can do both. It just depends how they are setup.

You can you just need a laser target to lock onto.

Thanks

Could be.:eek:

Quick question to do with this topic:

Is there an object in the editor I can place which jets can lock on to as 'Laser Target'?

Hi, if i don't remember wrong... you can target (and switch between targets) that are not on your line of sight/flying direction, so if you drop a bomb once you've passed the target you still have a small chance of hit it with the bomb if you're flying high enough for the bomb to maniouver, or it was like that on the ArmA1; if you was flying at 90º you also had a good chance of eat yourself the bomb. I used to aim the Paveways on the Kelly's Heroes Public Server and some times we (all) get surprised with what we did and seen. That was maybe the best public ArmA1 server where i'd played until they added "the bright idea" of unable the custom faces use. Let's C ya