Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

SR/CTV Community event 2010 - Gamers vs Soldier Reloaded

SR/CTV Community event 2010 - Gamers vs Soldiers Reloaded

On the 28th of October, ChernarusTV/SahraniRadio organizes in cooperation with the Royal Dutch Army a unique community event where ‘Gamers fight real Soldiers’ in VBS2.

History

Back in 2007 in an attempt to research the best use of war-simulations within the dutch army.

The 'Defense and Security' department of TNO organized a unique research session where 5 gamers fought against real soldiers. Now, three years later it's happening again.

Armed with a videocamera, Jerry Hopper will report these events in his new show 'TopNotch'

DgjRkAKUv7A

(video seems blocked for germany, alternative download here )

TopNotch

Topnotch is the name of a new and refreshing entertainment videoshow where everything is Arma.

With a sidekick, guests and a fresh look on the latest developments from the arma community, Jerry Hopper takes the step to the bigscreen and does what he does best.

Show Announcement : Episode 1&2 'Gamers vs Soldiers - reloaded'

What can you expect ? With our special guest, from from the Royal Dutch Army Simulation Centre, Major Roos. We’ll talk about the use of VBS2 in the dutch army - where we focus on mission making, and how the Arma community contributions like “Mr.Murray’s editing guide†are expirienced by the professionals. We’ll discuss the event with the community participants, and get some background informations on their activities.

Major Roos will start a VBS2 scenario where we have a chance to fight against his platoon.

To celebrate the Two year amniversary of TangoDown - a dutch serious gaming community - we invited the Tangodown community to fight alongside 3 Project Reality developers who will back us up during the day. The whole event will take place at a dutch armybase at undisclosed location where again, the Gamers fight real Soldiers.

For this community event, we invited the particpants from the 2007 event, and several other dutch gamers.

Participants

Dffclan : [DFF]Flits - [DFF]Potzet - [DFF]Pukster -[DFF]Chiel

Shacktac : [shackTac]Jefke *unfortunatly bailed out

TangoDown : [TDNL]Zoog - [TDNL]Pilgrim - [TDNL]SiC - [TDNL]Widow - [TDNL]B.O.P.E - [TDNL]Killg0re - [TDNL]Knight Rider - [TDNL]Pepperana - [TDNL]Born - [TDNL]Jeroen

Project Reality : [R-DEV]AfterDune - [R-DEV]Dunehunter - [R-COM]Glimmerman

SahraniRadio : Jerry Hopper

Project : Topnotch Episode 1 & 2

Participants : 17

Recording date : 28 October

Est. airing date : December

Resources :

Gamers fight real soldiers in VBS2 (2007)

Royal Dutch Army - OTCMAN

TangoDown Community.

Project reality

ChernarusTV

Edited by jerryhopper

I'm also looking forward to this, wished I could be there with you guys! *jealous*

Oi duifie! you might wanna check the TDNL webpage, or my twitter.

i'm taking a complete audio/video recording studio + PC and mobile internet with me.

You might see some interesting stuff on my twitter popping up - who knows? ;)

http://twitter.com/jerry_hopper

Edited by jerryhopper

I'd normally put my money on the gamers; they are already in their environment with playing on a computer. Ultimately I would think it comes down to how much experience the soldiers have with the software.

I agree. Even though ARMA is the most realistic game of its kind the main thing that counts is getting used to the controls and learning how weapons behave etc.

So I would say experience with the game counts more than experience as a real soldier.

BUT non ARMA gamers vs soldiers with the same amount of ARMA training would be a different story...

Edited by EDcase

Yep. Many of the skills within the game are still twitch-related. If you play the game often, most things you do will go into muscle-memory, while actual soldiers have the same muscle-memory but for different movements; instead of moving the mouse a little they would aim their actual rifle.

Sure, they might have sound tactics but players who often play in a PvP environment (especially from the ArmA community, who are often military fetishists or ex-forces themselves ;) ) will have that too, and in that case gamers are very likely to win.

Like ED says though, it would be interesting to see though how CoD players would fare against soldiers while playing ArmA. :p

Like ED says though, it would be interesting to see though how CoD players would fare against soldiers while playing ArmA. :p

It would be a mass rage quit. :rolleyes:

It would be a mass rage quit. :rolleyes:

That sums it up perfectly!

I've always wanted to get some of the so-called l33t players from battlefield, CoD and others into an ArmA session, just to teach them a little humility :D

Someone definitely should set this up :yay:

Cheers

It's a two way street.

I'd rather see some Arma2 elitists get brought down from their high horses and be dragged through the mud in Quake 3 Arena or CSS.