Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Some thoughts about model design

While this is somewhat true, then again, for A2, we are talking about 2k textures, if not 4k.

Also, the amount of maps needed puts a strain on loading those from most HDDs. Procedural would switch the strain from HDD to RAM and CPU. I am not saying this should be done for A2, i am saying i feel it is the future of gaming, since this sort of shaders are able to withstand a wider variety without the need to edit the same texture X times, and the transition between one state and another can easily be achieved.

Before you go and say; "but some things have UV maps that are split up and tires/ cloth canopies and other stuff that doesn't get scratches", consider the following, the extra section would be all exterior geometry that the texture would apply to.

Here is the main problem, even if you don't like it: most exterior geometry for vehicles are split between multiple UVs (at least 2). That means 1 section more per UV, plus a section for the rvmat.

I am not saying it is impossible, i actually think a proof of concept is easily achieved for infantry units at least. But not sure if its worth it

Would it be even possible to make something like leaves and branches like in this Video

at 0:50 ?

Would it be even possible to make something like leaves and branches like in this Video

at 0:50 ?

yes, it would

Now this would lok cool in chernarus forests^^

Here is the main problem, even if you don't like it: most exterior geometry for vehicles are split between multiple UVs (at least 2). That means 1 section more per UV, plus a section for the rvmat.

I am not saying it is impossible, i actually think a proof of concept is easily achieved for infantry units at least. But not sure if its worth it

I want to know if an overlay is possible on a model, I know there are the scorch marks and stuff for the ground, it's the same principle I guess. For me, this is the preferred method, and is all around the easiest. I know it's possible in source, but then again so is render to texture.

I think the scorch marks on the ground are themselves an object. I think they are a polygon object with very similar geometry to the area of the terrain they cover, and have a set of alpha textures.

This is similar to having hidden selections. Either way you're adding sections.

From reading about macro textures, the multi material shader, and the supershader, a diffuse map may be blended with another image 32 bit image. In the case of the multi material shader, you can blend what is functionally like two rvmats together with a blending map. There is no provision to animate them, though. If you wanted to put all kinds of work into it, I suppose you could a multi material shader, one shader for the dirt and crap and one for the clean car. You could have several clean cars with various degrees of dirt on them, blended from 1 map for each car colour and 1 map for each degree of dirtiness. Without being able to swap rvmats on the fly, though, the only benefit would be you could 16 different looks with only 4 variations of car colour, one map with dirt and crap on it, and 4 blending maps. It seems simpler to just to do the mixing in photoshop if you're going to publish 16 p3ds anyways.