Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBravo

IRStrobe flashing on unit?

Hey everyone,

Anyone know how to activate IRStrobe on a unit so it is flashing to make it easier to id friendly from hostile from the air?

Edited by CaptainBravo

Thanks neokika. I have used attached and created a strobe (based on a post somewhere) by placing an empty H where I want to have the IR Strobe. In that H initialization line I typed:

irstrobe1="IR_Strobe_Marker" createVehicle getPos ir1

ir1 is name of H.

Well nothing happened. Any idea how to get a flashing strobe attached to units?

Figured out how to activate on player but question remains about a away to activate on AI as well??

Any knowedgable gurus out there? please :)

Same way? Post how you did it for the players (since I'm sure others will want to be able to do this too) then we'll see about adapting that to AIs.

this addMagazine "IR_Strobe_Target"; then bring ACE up menue and activate.

for AI I have tried get them to do it via their menue "6" but no luck. So I am guessing only way is through script?

Oooh.. ACE. :) No idea how to script this kind of thing in ACE, but it's probably covered in their wagn. :)

I thought there might be universal command to activate an item by AI. Wishful thinking I guess! :)

I have asked in ACE thread but it seems it is one of those questions .. meant to be unaswered like the famous question .. which came first the chicken or the egg??

I thought there might be universal command to activate an item by AI. Wishful thinking I guess! :)

I have asked in ACE thread but it seems it is one of those questions .. meant to be unaswered like the famous question .. which came first the chicken or the egg??

Or a two second search of the ACE WAGN. :p

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/search/ai_strobe

Adding an IR strobe to units, even AI:

_unit addMagazine "ACE_IRStrobe";

Making AI use the IR strobe:

["ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd", [_unit]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent;

Creating an attached IR strobe that blinks:

_irstrobe = "ACE_IRStrobe_Object" createVehicle  getPos  _crate;
 _irstrobe attachTo[_crate,[0,0,0],""];
 ["ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd", [_irstrobe]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent;

Could that be used for IR_Strobe_Target too? I want to use that particular strobe model.

Edited by Meester

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/search/ai_strobe

Adding an IR strobe to units, even AI:

_unit addMagazine "ACE_IRStrobe";

Making AI use the IR strobe:

["ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd", [_unit]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent;

Creating an attached IR strobe that blinks:

_irstrobe = "ACE_IRStrobe_Object" createVehicle  getPos  _crate;
 _irstrobe attachTo[_crate,[0,0,0],""];
 ["ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd", [_irstrobe]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent;

Thanks kylania, I appreciate your help. Tried the attach command in the unit init field and in a trigger and got error msg _local variable in global space ??

How are you supposed to use it?

Thanks again.

Those examples assume use within a script. If you're doing to use it in an init fiels, replace _unit with this.

Thanks kylania. ["ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd", [_unit]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent; works great in the init field of unit.

The attached script I am not sure how to call it?

As long as one works, it is all good! :)

Not entirely sure myself, since I'm not sure what _crate is? I'm thinking that's an example to attach a blinky strobe to an ammo crate that was dropped, so maybe replace _crate with the unit?

Not entirely sure myself, since I'm not sure what _crate is? I'm thinking that's an example to attach a blinky strobe to an ammo crate that was dropped, so maybe replace _crate with the unit?

I have tried replacing _cate with sf1 (unit name) but no luck. So not sure how that script works.

In regards to ["ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd", [_unit]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent; - it works with the ai and a trigger, however im using a vip strobe which flashes less bright while I expect that while I have added the vip strobe to all the ai units, they might be using the ace strobe effect. I really want them to use the less intrusive flashing that my character has.

Where would I find out what effect the vip strobe uses?

In regards to ["ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd", [_unit]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent; - it works with the ai and a trigger, however im using a vip strobe which flashes less bright while I expect that while I have added the vip strobe to all the ai units, they might be using the ace strobe effect. I really want them to use the less intrusive flashing that my character has.

Where would I find out what effect the vip strobe uses?

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/9095#note-8

For gameplay reasons the strobe carried by players are "dimmed" down, so it would not blind you.

In RL I guess one would carry the strobe somewhere where the emmiting "light" would not blind yourself. In Arma light goes throuh evertyhing, especially on yourself this effect is most noticeable.

However the own player unit will see the full blinking on other units.

Also the effect is scaled, so from a bigger distance you are able to see the ir strobes blinking. Maybe just add one IR strobe to one unit.

what about if you DON'T use ace?!? Everyone just kinda leaves topic... and gets on a rant about ACE this and ACE that... Its good yea, but how bout vanilla arma2 strobe scripts???

Yeah i was wondering the same thing. Can someone go through this with the vanilla OA IR strobes as well?

I think someone is going to have to create a new strobe addon which can be attached to an object or person for Vanilla troops and vehicles and objects. As far as I have seen, only ACE has one at the moment.

What's wrong with this, I know it works in OA. I don't have ACE so it may not be what your after.

place in the init of unit and needs NVG's to see it flash.

stro = "IRStrobe" createVehicle  [getpos this select 0,getpos this select 1,0];stro attachto [this,[0.12,0,1.56]] 

stro = "IRStrobe" createVehicle  [getpos this select 0,getpos this select 1,0];stro attachto [this,[0.12,0,1.56]] 

I tried this and it created the IR but when the player moved the IR did not.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

thanks in advance

Place this in init field of unit: [""ace_sys_irstrobe_aradd"", [this]] call CBA_fnc_globalEvent;

Works in ACE MP

Could that be used for IR_Strobe_Target too? I want to use that particular strobe model.

It was really a NON ACE version I was after. Thanks though as this may come in handy at a later date