Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 73251

I've recently noticed that tabbing out of the game will cause performance degradation after tabbing back in again. I can be running around in Takistan with 50+ FPS, but after tabbing out it will be hovering between 30 and 40 with occasional phases of heavy stuttering.

Not sure if this is because of the latest beta or something else I've done. Perhaps someone else has been experiencing something similar?

Yes, while mission editing I've noticed that too. Alt-tab in and out long enough and performance takes a serious hit, mainly in the form of constant stuttering and slow LOD switching.

Just the "AUTOTARGET" is useless, correct? I'm pretty sure disabling the regular "TARGET" makes a difference.

I did may latest tests with either both disabled or all enabled only. But that seems to imply that even disableling "TARGET" doesn't seems to have much noticable effect in this regard. That is, of course, it may have an effect in helping to complete the "MOVE" waypoint faster, but I'm really not sure about this anymore.

But if you manually "force-jump" to the next (land) waypoint, without waiting until the "MOVE" waypoint finished, there is absolutely no noticable difference in the landing performance.

I can help you with this problem, at least. Put an "H (invisible)" (from the editor-objects) where you want the helicopter to unload, and it will set on the ground. I did this because my men were getting hurt exiting choppers that were hovering too high.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try, spawning such a thing prior to landing. Though IMHO such a workaround should not be necessary. There is nothing to misunderstand in "_veh flyInHeight 0" (and/or "_veh forceSpeed 0"). The pilot really needs to respect these commands. Flying away or hoping/bouncing around while flyInHeight is zero (and the helo is forceSpeeded to zero too) is simply a no-go. :nono:

Well, a new beta patch is out... so maybe things have changed already. :)

EDIT:

oh boy... in short: disabling the pilots (auto-)target powers DOES HAVE AN EFFECT.

Sometimes I'm not sure if Arma2 plays some dirty mind tricks on me... :D

Edited by ruebe