Sign in to follow this  
foxer

What's may day all about ?

Basically it's "Worker's day" If there was a Communists calendar that would be the most sacred day.

Talking of communists, i saw on the tv a load of may day marchers (in england) waving huge hammer and sicle flags, and other such communist paraphernalia

Interesting enough its origins are American:

-----

Its origins lie in 19th century North America where, on May 1 1886, workers declared strikes across the United States and Canada to press for an eight-hour day. In Chicago police attacked the striking workers and killed six.

The following day a bomb exploded at a demonstration at the Chicago haymarket, killing eight policemen. The police arrested eight trade unionists: four were found guilty of murder and executed by the state of Illinois.

In 1889, the international working men's association declared May 1 an international workers holiday in commemoration of the Haymarket Martyrs. The red flag became the symbol (enshrined in song by Irishman James Connell) of the blood of heroes who died for the working-class cause.

----------------

I don't complain. A day off is a day off smile.gif

I support may day and all but seeing the old hardliners in Russia carrying portraits of Stalin has the same effect on me as seeing someone carriying a portrait of Hitler.

Lenins portrait is used much more often then Stalins

bigmay.jpg

1938:

1938-may400.jpg

England really enjoy celebrating may day by erecting a big pole and all take hold of ribbons fastened to it and dance around like little happy bunnies awwww biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ May 01 2002,23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">May Day is kind of like the 4th of July for Commie bastards lol<span id='postcolor'>

Seriously though, I think that's a problem, painting anyone who stands up for worker's rights as a "commie bastard"

I never said anything about all people who celebrate Mayday, I was merely pointing out that Leninist Communists take the holiday very seriously, hence the use of the term "commie bastard". Im sure there are plenty of non "commie bastard" types who celebrate Mayday.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ May 01 2002,23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">May Day is kind of like the 4th of July for Commie bastards lol<span id='postcolor'>

LOL. You Americans are so funny. Who the hell cares about july 4th? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ May 02 2002,00:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL. You Americans are so funny. Who the hell cares about july 4th? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

We do, ya old-world bastard  biggrin.gif

The signing of the Declaration of the Independence laid out what Americans hope to aspire to, and even if we arent perfect, we are trying

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ May 02 2002,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what Americans hope to aspire to,<span id='postcolor'>

100 billion dollars and a busty blonde (comes with the $$$ ) , well I guess you could have a worse goal in life smile.gif

On another note what is that term "mayday" all about? You know when ships,airplanes go down? never got that.

I think mayday in an emergency is spelt different and is french for "help me" or something like that

Yepp, that is correct:

m'aider = (come) help me (in french)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ May 02 2002,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ May 02 2002,00:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL. You Americans are so funny. Who the hell cares about july 4th? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

We do, ya old-world bastard  biggrin.gif

The signing of the Declaration of the Independence laid out what Americans hope to aspire to, and even if we arent perfect, we are trying<span id='postcolor'>

I'm a new world bastard (Australia), and I don't care about the 4th of July either tounge.gif

Then again, I suspect you don't care about Australia Day (Jan 26), and rightly so  smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">England really enjoy celebrating may day by erecting a big pole and all take hold of ribbons fastened to it and dance around like little happy bunnies awwww <span id='postcolor'>

Gwhahahahaha!

I suspected that it had something to do with bunnies, peter pan, and communists. It's another conspiracy.

Aggg! Not another flamewar. Look we don't care about your indepence days, and you don't care about ours. End of argument.

Oh yeah.....May Day is g@y. Just another excuse to get drunk. tounge.gif