Sign in to follow this  
Gorgi Knootewoot

Creative sb live 5.1

Yes, i was playing a nice game. With my GF4 Ti4600, all run smooth. But he, i saw a minor drop in frame rate. Oh, i have a slow HD, probably the issue here. Now i play another game, damn it runs like shit. Even on my Athlon 1.4 Ghz with 384 MB and GF4 Ti4600 ULTRRRRRA. Even i knew that it couldn't be my 10 Gb 5400 RPM shitty slow HD. I need more power. So i have an onboard soundcard on my MSI K7T TURBO2 mainboard. I have everything i don't use disables in the bios, but i'm willing to give it a try. I rip out the SB live, and turn on the onboard card.

Guess what, a huuuuge increase in performance with all the games a saw a minor glitch in. I'm running under XP, and even had the special XP drivers for SB live installed. Now i use onboard card, and perfomance is increased. Ok, i don't have EAX anymore. But the sound isn't that bad. I read on a tweakers guide at http://tweakers.net that more people had the same thing here. A friend of mine with the same specs as my computer but he has GF 1 ( tounge.gif ) also ripped out his live, and also had great improvement of performance. So guys, ripp out your card and see the difference. Other soundcards don't have this problem i think, but it is a common thing that the SB live from Creative has shitty drivers which use too much of your CPU's power. U don't see difference with benchmark, as there is no sound used in benchmarking. But i did see increased frame rate using my onboard card compared to using the shitty live.

I have a Live 5.1 Platinum, and I absolutely love it! I have never had any problems with the drivers or any lag. Perhaps your motherboard doesn't like it too much?

I have a SB live 5.1 also dose 7.1 but my sound system is not that good . I have only ever had the standard foot step problem when running EAX

Yes, when EAX is disabled, also improved performance. I found that out when playing Dungeon Siege. But without my live, the performance is even better. smile.gif

I had the exact same problem gorgi, but with my soundblaster 128     all my games seem to drop framerate  so i took out card and used onboard and problem sorted

my board is a jetway asr summit and i use xp too

Good, so i am not the only one with this particular problem here. I also had in under W'98, but i thought i could solve this problem with the newest XP-drivers. But it didn't. But i'm happy with my onboard thingie now smile.gif

I don't think my mother board has a on board sound card so I guess i'm shit out of luck. mad.gif

-=Die Alive=-

Too bad for you. Maybe it's time to upgrade. Convince someone to buy it for you. wow.gif Don't try to ask me, because i won't tounge.gif

Hey wait a minute, I don't even have SB 5.1, I got some other SB card and I haven't have any problems with it. But anyways, what other sound cards out there on the market that are good? Or does CA hold most of the market share?

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You, Gorgi! What PCI slot did you use?? Its in some cases very important<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't know it made a difference.

Well it is, due to IRQ conflicts etc; SB cards are obviously very sensitive for this...

Check out the forum I linked to above - got loads of recommendations & problems with PCI slots sad.gif

i had a problem with my sb drivers,that everytime i played a game my mouse(usb) would lock up in the game.Soo uninstalled the drivers,using window drivers and it works fine.

The creative guys are lazy buns! Remember the crackling problems we encountered in OFP or the soundproblems in general. Suma or Maruk told us these days the problems were driver related and that Creative had to fix that. Creative programs oversized drivers but with little improvements when they do an update...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ May 01 2002,11:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, i was playing a nice game. With my GF4 Ti4600, all run smooth. But he, i saw a minor drop in frame rate. Oh, i have a slow HD, probably the issue here. Now i play another game, damn it runs like shit. Even on my Athlon 1.4 Ghz with 384 MB and GF4 Ti4600 ULTRRRRRA. Even i knew that it couldn't be my 10 Gb 5400 RPM shitty slow HD. I need more power. So i have an onboard soundcard on my MSI K7T TURBO2 mainboard. I have everything i don't use disables in the bios, but i'm willing to give it a try. I rip out the SB live, and turn on the onboard card.

Guess what, a huuuuge increase in performance with all the games a saw a minor glitch in. I'm running under XP, and even had the special XP drivers for SB live installed. Now i use onboard card, and perfomance is increased. Ok, i don't have EAX anymore. But the sound isn't that bad. I read on a tweakers guide at http://tweakers.net that more people had the same thing here. A friend of mine with the same specs as my computer but he has GF 1 ( tounge.gif ) also ripped out his live, and also had great improvement of performance. So guys, ripp out your card and see the difference. Other soundcards don't have this problem i think, but it is a common thing that the SB live from Creative has shitty drivers which use too much of your CPU's power. U don't see difference with benchmark, as there is no sound used in benchmarking. But i did see increased frame rate using my onboard card compared to using the shitty live.<span id='postcolor'>

Well.... Was planning on a Sound Blaster but those don't like AMD and GeForce very well.

So maybe i should stick to my old Yamaha OPL SA x ISA sound card then confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pukko @ May 01 2002,16:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You, Gorgi! What PCI slot did you use?? Its in some cases very important. I bought a 'MSI K7T266 PRO2' some time ago, it works perfect with SB 5.1...

Check out AMDMB.COM' s ---->MSI FORUM (make a search)!<span id='postcolor'>

i dunno.... i think it was the middle one.

i will try your the links you linked.. thanks, maybe i can get to plug it back in smile.gif