Sign in to follow this  
nordin dk

What do you think of this picture?

Don't know it, don't like it...

No really, what d'you mean? If i like it or not?

Or perhaps what i feel when i see this pic?

Or something else?

Ah yes, art´is a difficult thing to talk about.

It portrays the suffering of man at the apocalypse.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ April 30 2002,21:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah yes, art´is a difficult thing to talk about.

It portrays the suffering of man at the apocalypse.<span id='postcolor'>

A man? I'd say men, they all are suffering if you ask me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ April 30 2002,21:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It kind of looks like a Finnish bar tonight.<span id='postcolor'>

Damn man, you're right!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 30 2002,21:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ April 30 2002,21:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah yes, art´is a difficult thing to talk about.

It portrays the suffering of man at the apocalypse.<span id='postcolor'>

A man? I'd say men, they all are suffering if you ask me.<span id='postcolor'>

Suffering of man, as in mankind...

If I would have to paint an impressionist/expressionist version of the evening news these days, then it would prolly look like this smile.gif

Hey, who are these 4 skeletons on horses confused.gif

I'd say that is a rather unusual picture nordin. i have to say, at first i thought you were a nerd and a frea, but you are a really intelligent man, nordin. Art is not what it seems all the time, it defines the breakage of the boundaries between fiction and reality. Good job of posting this.

Now I don't know what to think. smile.gif

Perhaps I'd rather be considered a nerd and a freak?

lol

But thanks I guess...

I always liked Bosch. His apocalyptic visions are still disturbing today, because of their excessiveness and imagination.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">why is there a fat chick in the upper left corner then

<span id='postcolor'> So you'd ask smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ April 30 2002,22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">why is there a fat chick in the upper left corner then tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think I recognice her from a (edited, most likely by nordin) picture of Hilandor having dolphin sex; she passed outside the window, right?

So a better question would be:

What does Hilandors girlfriend do in the picture?

Ahh.. Hieronymus Bosch, my absoulte favourite! He had an extraordenary sense of humor - I'm surprised that he didn't get burned as a heretic.

I have a great book, that I can recommend: "Bosch - beween heaven and hell"

bosch1.jpg

It has a great bio and a collection of his works:

bosch2.jpg

Compare the picture that nordin posted to this one, that portrays the garden of eden:

IL%20GIARDINO%20DELLE%20DELIZIE.JPG

Denoir, perhaps you could find the original title for the painting? I lost it somewhere in the "translation" smile.gif

@Ex-Ronin: You must be referring to the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, (Pestilence, Famine, War and Death) but I don't see them anywhere in that picture...

For anyone interested there's a great website about Bosch here.

Among other things you'll find an unaltered version of "The Last Judgement" - a triptych depicting Paradise, Judgement & Hell, from which my painting was taken.

Which one?

The one that you posted is called "The last judgement"

The one that I posted is "The garden of earthly delights"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ May 01 2002,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@Ex-Ronin: You must be referring to the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, (Pestilence, Famine, War and Death) but I don't see them anywhere in that picture...<span id='postcolor'>

your fat chick scared those 4 men tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

@Denoir too late smile.gif I found out in the meanwhile.

To anyone: compare Bosch to another famous artist of the time, Peter Brughel the Elder, and his probably most famous painting:

The Tower of Babel. (too large to hotlink)

Anyone who've read Paul Auster's "New York Trilogy" will have a special relationship with this picture.

It's too bad that there is no complete collection of Bochs' works. They are pretty much distributed all over Europe. I got  a quick glance of "the last judgement" last year in Wien, but I really just rushed through the museum since I had very little time. I was going to Barcelona and I had to switch planes in Wien and had a couple of hours between the flights. The Uffizi museum in Firenze has a lot of renaissance works, but no Bosch sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ May 01 2002,00:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To anyone: compare Bosch to another famous artist of the time, Peter Brughel the Elder, and his probably most famous painting:

The Tower of Babel. (too large to hotlink)<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not a too great fan of Breugel, I think that he lacks the bizzare sense of humor and details that Bosch has. The Tower of Babel is I think one of his better works.

As for technical excellence I admire Albrecht Dürer

Father_2.jpeg

Portrait of Dürer's father.

Botticelli has also some good works.