Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

How long should it take?

for a money order to go from Texas to New York VIA standard mail?

I bought a new dar detector off E-bay and sent the MO 6 days ago.. still no word as to if they have recieved it or not..

>confused.gif??

yea, well dont be suprised if you hear od a wierd murder in upstate new york involving sledge hammers and bottles of cat urine..

Hey Wobble,

You know those commies at the post office are fix'in to jack the rates again don't you? That's why your letter is taking a week instead of 3 days.

Burl

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Burl @ April 30 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's why your letter is taking a week instead of 3 days.<span id='postcolor'>

Or even longer, if there's a good storm brewing in the Gulf of Mexico.

On a completely different topic, does anyone know why American encyclopedias describe Albert Einsten as an American scientist born in Germany ?  Is this an accurate description ?

The man lived for 76 years, and only spent 22 of them as an American (only so because he fled Germany when Hitler came to power).  Sure he was an American for a short part of his life (less than 1/3), but I wouldn't go as far as to call him American citizen born in Germany.  The least they could do is German-American scientist.

I just love it how this country wants to own everything.  Same goes for "The World Series" in baseball.  It's clearly an American-only championship, yet they never say the winner is an American champion, they always say the winner is a World Champion.

I could find about half a dozen other examples, though I'm tired of writing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ April 30 2002,16:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just love it how this country wants to own everything.  Same goes for "The World Series" in baseball.  It's clearly an American-only championship, yet they never say the winner is an American champion, they always say the winner is a World Champion.

I could find about half a dozen other examples, though I'm tired of writing.<span id='postcolor'>

I couldn't agree more.

if Einstein acquired US citizenship, then he is a US citizen. Thus American. Thus American scientist born in Germany.

Yes, he was an American citizen for 22 years. Though he was a German citizen for 54 years. See my point why calling him only American is somewhat flawed ?

Oh and just so you know, American encyclopedias mention him as American scientist born in Germany, or German-born American scientist, yet European encyclopedias in the likes of Britannica and such name him German-American scientist (as I had suggested).

guess you are trying to argue that to be qualified as a group, then the person must be in the group for most of his time. but a counter argument would be that denying a person's membership to a group solely on fact that he did not spend most of his time in group is also baddd....

I never said he should only be called a German scientist. The title "German-American scientist" is more accurate than "American scientist born in Germany". Note how I say "German-American" instead of "American-German", as he was born and spent most of his life in Germany, it should thus be prioritized and mentioned before "American".

USA and the companies here are aware of how much this country is in love with itself and how much it likes to brag about its greatness so they feed the public what they want to hear. Even reference publications like Encyclopedias are not immune from this. It's sad, but true.

Are you sure you didn't send anthrax coated e-pennies by accident? biggrin.gif

The World Series" in baseball

It is,it's got cubans,japanese,chinese,american,other.Soo it is the world series,meaning that if your anygood you can play baseball in the usa.It's just like hockey,if you got any skillz you can play hockey is the U.S. and canda and make millions,just like football and basketball,like that chinese guy all he made was like 25 thousands bucks in china playing basketball,he like 7 foot 6 he came to the USA to play basketball and now i think he makes millions,U.S./canada sports are international sports because players make soo much money.

Lol, true.

You have Rodriguez making something like 20 million a year doing nothing but swinging a baseball bat.

While people like scientists spend 12 years in schools and work on finding cures to diseases, yet they only get around $120,000 a year.

What is this world coming to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ April 30 2002,22:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lol, true.

You have Rodriguez making something like 20 million a year doing nothing but swinging a baseball bat.

While people like scientists spend 12 years in schools and work on finding cures to diseases, yet they only get around $120,000 a year.

What is this world coming to.<span id='postcolor'>

Hey isn`t that what capitalisms about biggrin.gif